• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan tour of Ireland, England and Scotland 2018

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tidy pace attack Ireland have, they will be able to compete at home. Away might be a different story though but they probably have a better pace attack already than a few sides around the world.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Been impressed with Kane, surprisingly lively. Can see him and Barry McCarthy being Ireland's new ball attack sooner rather than later.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This bowling partnership looks real pedestrian.
Yeah Thompson is basically a batsman who bowls these days, and given he's not a good enough one to displace Kevin O'Brien I didn't really get his selection in the squad at all. Having these two bowl in tandem with Ireland vaguely on top is pretty yuck really.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah Thompson is basically a batsman who bowls these days, and given he's not a good enough one to displace Kevin O'Brien I didn't really get his selection in the squad at all. Having these two bowl in tandem with Ireland vaguely on top is pretty yuck really.
Yeah basically a part timer being used as a 4th seamer, sorry no point in that at all. Surely a spinner would be a better option.

_Ed_

Disappointing last hour or so from Ireland. I hope Murtagh and Rankin bowl well again after the break.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Murtagh and Rankin again bring on their A-game after lunch. Ireland bowling is too dependant on them. I have a good feeling about Ireland's batting though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah basically a part timer being used as a 4th seamer, sorry no point in that at all. Surely a spinner would be a better option.
He's been picked for Ireland as a bowler before and I guess they were clinging onto that, but his last FC game in Irish domestic cricket is a great example of where people have said his career is heading for a while now:

1st Match, Cricket Ireland Inter-Provincial Championship at Dublin, May 1-3 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Came out at #5, hit a big ton on what seems like a fairly tricky pitch, then bowled second change in each innings bowling and got slapped around at over 4rpo bowling half rat power, conceding over 100 runs for the joy of getting George Dockrell out twice.

I can see him as Kevin O'Brien's replacement medium-term, but as a bowling allrounder batting eight, nah, it's not 2015 anymore. McBrine can seriously bat too so it's not like playing him would've left too long of a tail.

flibbertyjibber

Hopefully Murtagh and Rankin again bring on their A-game after lunch. Ireland bowling is too dependant on them. I have a good feeling about Ireland's batting though.
Not many sides around at present who aren't relying on a couple of bowlers alone.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
He's been picked for Ireland as a bowler before and I guess they were clinging onto that, but his last FC game in Irish domestic cricket is a great example of where people have said his career is heading for a while now:

1st Match, Cricket Ireland Inter-Provincial Championship at Dublin, May 1-3 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Came out at #5, hit a big ton on what seems like a fairly tricky pitch, then bowled second change in each innings bowling and got slapped around at over 4rpo bowling half rat power, conceding over 100 runs for the joy of getting George Dockrell out twice.

I can see him as Kevin O'Brien's replacement medium-term, but as a bowling allrounder batting eight, nah, it's not 2015 anymore. McBrine can seriously bat too so it's not like playing him would've left too long of a tail.
Not sure if the wash out yesterday made them to change their initial playing XI