• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
ECB’s ‘The Hundred’ is ridiculous and most players aren’t interested, says Yorkshire’s Jack Brooks
Elizabeth Ammon
April 26 2018, 12:00pm,
The Times

Jack Brooks has become the latest player to speak out against the ECB’s new 100-ball competition, calling the idea “ridiculous”.

The new format — in which sides face 100 balls each, including one ten-ball over — is set to begin in 2020 and be played by city-based franchises.

In announcing the new tournament the ECB said that it had been supported unanimously by the competition’s board and by player representatives of the men’s and women’s game. However, it then emerged that only three players were consulted before the announcement and Brooks, the Yorkshire bowler, is now the latest county player to voice his opposition.

Chris Rushworth, the Durham seamer, called it “a load of bollocks” while Ollie Rayner, the Middlesex spinner, said it had “gone too far”. Brooks said that his views were reflected by most other players.

“I think the vast majority of the current players aren’t really interested to be honest,” Brooks told the Yorkshire Post. “If they want to make this franchise thing, then just stick with Twenty20 and give it a go and see what happens with that.

“You don’t suddenly have to change the rules of cricket to make it more complicated for new people.

“It’s just ridiculous, A ten-ball over? When T20 came about it didn’t really change the rules of cricket or anything, it was just a condensed format. Club cricket had already been played in T20 for years. This new format has just come out of the blue. For me, as someone who’s been around a while, I don’t see the point in it really”.

“The Hundred” was announced last week by the ECB and is, it says, firmly aimed at attracting a new audience of families who do not watch cricket at present.

The three players who were consulted were Eoin Morgan, Heather Knight and Daryl Mitchell in his capacity as chairman of the Professional Cricketers Association.

All three were told not to discuss the proposal with anyone else, meaning that Mitchell could not consult with the 420 members he represents and the proposal took the players by surprise.

The lack of consultation has led to a lot of anger among the players and yesterday the PCA issued a statement criticising the lack of clarity and detail about the new competition and raising concerns among the players about what the structure of domestic cricket will look like in 2020. Brooks says he can’t understand the need to invent another form of the game.

He said: “My immediate reaction was ‘why effectively invent another sport almost, another version of cricket.’ ”

Brooks is not the only county player to have publicly criticised the new format. On Twitter, Luke Wells wrote: “Honestly can’t believe this 100-ball game idea has actually gained any ground. Why try and fix a format that’s not broken?

“T20 works and is massively popular product which is growing worldwide! Trying to reinvent the wheel just doesn’t make sense.”

Rushworth said the tournament was a “load of bollocks”Rushworth said the tournament was a “load of bollocks”
JAN KRUGER/GETTY IMAGES
Rayner, who has played county cricket for 12 years, including 71 T20 matches, congratulated the ECB on its “hoax”.

“Ok, great hoax….@ecb_cricket you got us,” he tweeted. “Now seriously, 100 ball cricket with a 10 ball over bowled potentially by more than one bowler, this has gone too far now. I don’t think my views hold much weight amongst the cricketing community but I certainly don’t think I’m the only one that thinks the world is going mad”.

Each county nominates a player to represent them at PCA meetings and each of those 18 reps will be meeting with the ECB next month to air the views of their team-mates.

Rushworth, Durham’s representative, made his views clear in a tweet: “On this new format, what a load of bollocks. Can’t see many bowlers lining up to bowl a 10 ball over! Just machine getting hit for 4/5 sixes in an over, then still having 5/6 balls to go, hard enough as it is!! Any danger of giving something to the bowlers??? #stickwith20”
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...erested-says-yorkshires-jack-brooks-hx7d88kp6

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All three were told not to discuss the proposal with anyone else, meaning that Mitchell could not consult with the 420 members he represents and the proposal took the players by surprise.
:laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Some Director of Innovation will come up with a new 99-ball format next year. 33 overs of 3 balls each - 3 overs each to be bowled by all 11-players. Cheerleader will become wicket-keeper when he bowls. Each team will have a star batsman who can't get out - his outs will be considered as -6 runs. Other batsmen can get out. The spectator who buys the most number of beers will have the opportunity to manage the scoreboard.

S.Kennedy

I have a lot of friends outside cricket who would never come to a cricket match but have already said they enjoy that there is a bit of noise around it. Because it's upsetting people that already come to a game and that is the point of the product. Cricket participation levels have been going down now for quite a while and we need to do something different to change the reputation of the sport. If we stay rigid for a long period of time and don't change anything then the sport will die.

It's not designed to kill off people who love cricket. I absolutely love cricket. It won't kill off me. But people hate change and it would be very easy to sit here and say Test cricket is great, 50 over is OK but T20 is going through the roof and everyone wants to watch it so we don't do anything about it. So, the new tournament, however many balls, I do enjoy the idea of it because of the one most complicated things is if you go to a cricket ground, you don't know what's going on, you look at the scoreboard for an indication, there's so many numbers and names, you don't know what's going on. So you eliminate that equation of it [that part of the equation, perhaps] break it down to its simplest form.
- Eoin Morgan

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...t-will-die-unless-embraces-new-products-like/

There is so much wrong with this I do not know where to begin!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eoin, the scoreboard has these things called 'headings' that say things like 'runs' 'batsmen' 'overs' so you do​ know what is going on. Even Australians can figure it out.

greg

International Debutant
Eoin, the scoreboard has these things called 'headings' that say things like 'runs' 'batsmen' 'overs' so you do​ know what is going on. Even Australians can figure it out.
I don’t anyway get this theory that removing the concept of runs per over and replacing with x runs in y balls makes it easier to understand what’s going on. The great thing about the runs per over concept is it allows the spectator tho constantly assess how a team are doing when chasing a score. In simple terms if a team requires 7 runs an over and they only score 5 off an over, their task is getting harder. If they score 9 it is getting easier.

X runs in y balls doesn’t allow you to do that. All it does is state how close the equation is to “a run a ball”. Which actually had some relevance 20 odd years ago, but in the context of 2020 is almost meaningless.

S.Kennedy

''T20 is going through the roof and everyone wants to watch it so we don't do anything about it'' - Morgan.

So eh, create a ''T20'' haha.

S.Kennedy

So again, the ECB and their mouthpieces think the audience are morons.

I mean they're not that stupid that they look at a scoreboard at the ground, electronic or otherwise and their heads explode because seeing 11 names is too much.
That is an Australian scoreboard you are describing.

Borges

International Regular

S.Kennedy

The counties I think are secretly thinking, ''bloody hell, that'll be a disaster. Let's support it then and when it collapses we'll laugh our head off''.

It'll leave The Blast alone, which might even gain renewed interest as a consequence of the negative reaction to the 100.

S.Kennedy

Yes, even when it was a ''Twenty20 proposal'' we knew it would be run during test matches. I can just envision it, TV adverts featuring the Roots and Stokeses, ''Come and watch the 100. I won't be playing like (I did say Stokes) but I heard it is gannin to be good''.

FBU

International Debutant
Cricinfo
While few more details were provided how the competition would work, there was a little more detail over the payment structures. As things stand, it seems each of the eight new teams would have a salary cap of GBP 1m with the top pay-band likely to be somewhere between GBP 110,000-130,000. As the competition is likely to clash with the CPL, however, that figure may need to rise.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo
While few more details were provided how the competition would work, there was a little more detail over the payment structures. As things stand, it seems each of the eight new teams would have a salary cap of GBP 1m with the top pay-band likely to be somewhere between GBP 110,000-130,000. As the competition is likely to clash with the CPL, however, that figure may need to rise.

Look out IPL

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricinfo

BIG money

I hope this concept actually succeeds now and converts the die-hards once they see it implemented.

S.Kennedy

Look out IPL
Moreover CPL which will run concurrently.

The only way I could see players desiring to play this thing is if it become effectively a massive bribe, chucking wads of cash at players so they couldn't refuse. And now we see the money will not be so great! The stats for instance will count for nothing - ''that century in five seconds you made Mr Gayle is an '100 stat' and will not be put onto your twenty20 tally''.