• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I think one will find that his batting technique is not quite up there with his average.
I suspect his average will plummet then at Chester-le in September!

It would have been more logical to have had Latham and Patel's tenures switched around, and for the latter to be included in the limited overs stuff, but I guess it is down to scheduling.

I suppose if Patel comes away with anything decent with the bat on an August-September Chester-le wicket, he'd be automatically one of the best Indian batsmen against English swing and seam and fasttracked into the test team haha

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Notts for the season ahead will be interesting. They have a strong experienced core but lost lots of players last season for depth. Nash & Coughlin (possibly out for the season) were the only domestic signings. Hales only signed up for white ball cricket.

Jake Libby
Steve Mullaney (c)
Chris Nash
Ross Taylor
Samit Patel
Rikki Wessels
Tom Moores (wk)
Stuart Broad/Luke Wood
Jake Ball
Mark Footitt
Harry Gurney/Luke Fletcher

Players lost from last season : Lumb, Taylor, Hutton, Read [Hales + overseas]

Libby gaining quite a bit of experience now so only really Moores is young and new replacing Read.

The batting depth isn't spectacular. Billy Root scored runs in the warm-up game v Leics and is first reserve. You then start going into the academy for guys like Chris Gibson & Tom Keast (wk)

6 main seamers may seem enough (Coughlin was 7). Young trio of Ben Kitt, Matt Milnes and Jack Blatherwick are also contracted.

The main spinner is still Patel. Carter is contracted but mainly used only at the end of the season.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

The Moxon scheme is certainly interesting, and I like the fact that it would see an increase in matches (from 14 to 15). The CC needs to return to summer though - whatever scheme is in place.

S.Kennedy

If Notts do get P. Coughlin fit, he'll help your Twenty20 more than anything. His red-ball form has never really pushed on from when he first broke through, hindered also by injuries in fairness, but he seems to be developing into an excellent Twenty20 all-rounder.

SeamUp

International Coach
Opening Fixtures

Division One

Hampshire v Worcestershire
Lancashire v Notts
Yorkshire v Essex

Division Two

Kent v Gloucestershire
Middlesex v Northants
Warwickshire v Sussex

SQUADS SO FAR

Coad remains a doubt. Patterson broke a finger yesterday and Fisher only returns in 6 weeks.

Kent squad: Joe Denly (c), Daniel Bell-Drummond, Sean Dickson, Heino Kuhn, Zak Crawley, Darren Stevens, Will Gidman, Adam Rouse (wk), Callum Haggett, Grant Stewart, Matt Henry, Harry Podmore, Ivan Thomas.

Gloucestershire squad: Chris Dent (c), Gareth Roderick, George Hankins, James Bracey, Jack Taylor, Graeme van Buuren, Ryan Higgins, Benny Howell, Kieron Noema-Barnett, Craig Miles, Dan Worrall, Matt Taylor, Chris Liddle.

Sussex CCC squad: Ben Brown (c/wk) ,Will Beer, Michael Burgess, Harry Finch, Ollie Robinson, Phil Salt, Ishant Sharma, Will Sheffield, Stiaan van Zyl, Stuart Whittingham, David Wiese, Luke Wells, Luke Wright
* Will Sheffield is a 17 year-old wing bowler
** George Garton still injured

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

I wonder how they'll accommodate Elgar with Rory Burns and Rocky being basically outright openers? It is not as if Elgar is covering for Stoneman as Stoneman's available during this entire time, for the opening championship fixtures. Whichever way they go, that is some batting line-up,

Elgar
Rocky
Burns
Foakes
Possibly Roy at some stage (or perhaps not!).

I just had a thought. It'll become even harder for Scott Borthwick to try and get into the first team. He is a 3. How the heck is he going to win a place competing with that lot? His move was a disastrous decision.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder how they'll accommodate Elgar with Rory Burns and Rocky being basically outright openers? It is not as if Elgar is covering for Stoneman as Stoneman's available during this entire time, for the opening championship fixtures. Whichever way they go, that is some batting line-up,

Elgar
Rocky
Burns
Foakes
Possibly Roy at some stage (or perhaps not!).

I just had a thought. It'll become even harder for Scott Borthwick to try and get into the first team. He is a 3. How the heck is he going to win a place competing with that lot? His move was a disastrous decision.
They were clearly planning for Mitch Marsh at 5/6

There will be no need for Harinath and Clarke now

Elgar
Stoneman
Burns
Borthwick
Foakes
Pope
S.Curran
Batty
M.Morkel
2 of Meaker/Dernbach/Dunn/Pillans

S.Kennedy

They have Ryan Patel who did alright as an opener or a number three towards the end of the season. A lot of top three batsmen!

S.Kennedy

You think Batty will play much ?
Bit of a certainty as they are lacking in the spin department. Ansari retired and Borthwick's leg-spin went nowhere fast. There were rumours at Durham that Surrey had promised him all kinds of things to bring his leg-spin on, private tutorials and stuff like that, and that was really his main motivation for joining.

S.Kennedy

No Handscomb anywhere (yet)! I bet Boyce had something to do with him not going to Yerkshire again as he was slating him on the Ashes commentary when Jimmy was doing a number on him, how this crab like terrible player got accepted into his beloved county.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love that first moment in the season when you can check the scores. As long as it is not raining everywhere of course.