• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I don't expect the Venn diagram of IPL fans and cricket fans to have a big intersection.
This comment :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My understanding is he’s pretty popular out there, career average for the ipl is only four less than gayle (although admittedly with one suspects fewer chances to let off the fireworks and play the Bhangra/techno hybrid tunes), so I’d figure the team management would at least have a case to be pretty annoyed at losing him with the auction already gone.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This comment :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My understanding is he’s pretty popular out there, career average for the ipl is only four less than gayle (although admittedly with one suspects fewer chances to let off the fireworks and play the Bhangra/techno hybrid tunes), so I’d figure the team management would at least have a case to be pretty annoyed at losing him with the auction already gone.
Smith popular in India? Mate he's practically the devil over there

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Yea I think in an IPL context Smith is not a huge draw India . He has a more “Test “player vibe around him although he’s pretty good in all formats.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not sure why people are acting like Smith's IPL selection was to get ticket sales, hes there to win them games and championships, pretty much all the hated Aussies are picked for that reason. His team will still agonise about the idea of not playing him, hes a ****ing good player.

SeamUp

International Coach
I turn to BBC news, I turn to Sky and it is still the Sports headline.

I then flick through twitter and see Rodney Hogg equate Ball tampering to first degree murder.

This has all gone OTT

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
There was an article on one site claiming this could cost Australia millions of dollars because it's been bought up in trade agreement brexit meetings with one of the Australian ministers and now they don't trust Australia. The whole article was based on one comment from the minister saying it was bought up jokingly before a meeting.

Lot's of stories saying they need to be banned for life. I still can't understand why it's become such a massive deal when other players like Faf have been guilty of the same offence (multiple times too), you've got a bunch of ex cricketers like Nasser claiming there's no chance the dressing room and coaches didn't know what they were doing but no one is bringing up other players who've been done for the same thing and saying their whole team must have been in on it then too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There was an article on one site claiming this could cost Australia millions of dollars because it's been bought up in trade agreement brexit meetings with one of the Australian ministers and now they don't trust Australia. The whole article was based on one comment from the minister saying it was bought up jokingly before a meeting.

Lot's of stories saying they need to be banned for life. I still can't understand why it's become such a massive deal when other players like Faf have been guilty of the same offence (multiple times too), you've got a bunch of ex cricketers like Nasser claiming there's no chance the dressing room and coaches didn't know what they were doing but no one is bringing up other players who've been done for the same thing and saying their whole team must have been in on it then too.
While the cost to Australia is being blown out of proportion, the cost to cricket Australia will likely be very real. Can imagine team sponsors being absolutely livid.

AnthonyC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As a Victorian I can say that this Australian team doesn't represent our state.
Pack of a team full of ****roaches and how do you expect them to behave...

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
So hearing about Warner being basically behind the idea for this, and then how he has always been the ball man in Tests prior to this. And often has heavily taped fingers...

Yeah. Lot of lost trust with the Australian team.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
I turn to BBC news, I turn to Sky and it is still the Sports headline.

I then flick through twitter and see Rodney Hogg equate Ball tampering to first degree murder.

This has all gone OTT
Great Victorian Rodney sticking it to the NSW guys. Excellent