• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is astonishing how the mainstream British press have picked up on this - literally, headline news (ahead of Brexit) yesterday on Auntie!! Columnists are writing about it who wouldn't know a DRS from a LBW. I have never seen a cricket story so dominant since England won the Ashes in 2005.

The mainstream are also grabbing any stray cricket pundit they can find to explain to Joe Public the intricacies of reverse swing.

Last edited:

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
It is astonishing how the mainstream British press have picked up on this - literally, headline news (ahead of Brexit) yesterday on Auntie!! Columnists are writing about it who wouldn't know a DRS from a LBW. I have never seen a cricket story so dominant since England won the Ashes in 2005.

The mainstream are also grabbing any stray cricket pundit they can find to explain to Joe Public the intricacies of reverse swing.
They are getting a much bigger bashing in Oz......I switched SKY off when they rolled Atherton out to give his opinion....I mean FFS!

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They are getting a much bigger bashing in Oz......I switched SKY off when they rolled Atherton out to give his opinion....I mean FFS!
It is the final proof we all suspected that Australians are simply bad news, the confirmation of the convict. Even if it is a load of stuff we don't understand concerning that posh boys' sport played in whites that nobody watches, this is the final proof England needs.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What would the English do without the South Africans to beat up the Aussies... they sure can't do it themselves, well not without a few SA's in the team.

Tom Flint

International Regular
We have been pretty good and dealing with the south Africans recently too don't forget.
Crickets swings and roundabouts these days, we can all beat each other.
But we all still hate the a
aussies

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant

Spent the morning having to explain reverse swing to my mum, never thought that day would come :laugh:

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Question for IPL fans in India because there's been a lot of talk of CA rescinding the NOC's for Smith and Warner- what would the fans over there make of that? Presumably Rajahstan made their picks at the auction presuming they'd already got the best batsman in the world, is there any provision now that might not be the case? And what about fans who've already bought tickets and TV companies who've paid for the rights thinking they'd have Smith there as a superstar. Seems like it could cause major grief all round.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe I'm being snobbish here, but I don't think Smith would be a huge draw for the average IPL fan. The crowds are more likely to get drawn in by the big hitters like Gayle, AB, Maxwell etc (apart from the Indian players). Yeah, Smith's comfortably the best Test batsman right now but I don't expect the Venn diagram of IPL fans and cricket fans to have a big intersection.

I wonder what Hyderabad will do about Warner, he's been one of their best performers for many years.

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Question for IPL fans in India because there's been a lot of talk of CA rescinding the NOC's for Smith and Warner- what would the fans over there make of that? Presumably Rajahstan made their picks at the auction presuming they'd already got the best batsman in the world, is there any provision now that might not be the case? And what about fans who've already bought tickets and TV companies who've paid for the rights thinking they'd have Smith there as a superstar. Seems like it could cause major grief all round.
Core IPL audience and test cricket has as much in common as Roadman and ethics. And Roadman might be the best test batsman (arguably) in the world now but he is frankly not the hottest commodity in the other formats. So he will be not missed much.

Warner is a slightly different case. But it is open season for gaining moral ground and I doubt IPL would forego a chance to do so. Besides the league is awash with foreign players so I don't think missing these two would matter much.