• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I went through this in a game a bit like chess that they are trying to turn into an Olympic sport. Where I'm from, it's less competitive than village cricket. I went overseas to play a tournament. Had a drug test run by the actual people who had run Olympic tests. Was pretty annoyed by it too. Say to the woman running it "What is the point of this, what drugs can you even take that would enhance performance?". She replies, "If I knew the answer to that, I'd be taking them 24/7 myself". Got a laugh out of that one.
Vassily ivanchuck was his name, apparently managed to avoid the ban but had to through an appeal :laugh:

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Talking to a few Aussies at work (I am not Australian but live here) - most are shocked by what's happened - and there is a general sense of "Aus have never done any thing like this before..it's always been the other teams who cheated etc..now we have no ground to stand on". When I try to point out some of their indiscretions from before they seem largely unaware or have never considered them to be issues. By my polling they think those are in the "hard but fair" category.

There is definitely a feeling of.."it's all those other teams who cheated all these years now we've done it ..how could they ..ban them all" and the way the media is reporting this is certainly feeding into that.

I've never had an issue with the antics Aus got up to - not walking, sledging etc..but this certainly feels "big" compared to all the other instances of match fixing. The video footage + admitting to a planned effort to cheat = snow ball.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Talking to a few Aussies at work (I am not Australian but live here) - most are shocked by what's happened - and there is a general sense of "Aus have never done any thing like this before..it's always been the other teams who cheated etc..now we have no ground to stand on". When I try to point out some of their indiscretions from before they seem largely unaware or have never considered them to be issues. By my polling they think those are in the "hard but fair" category.

There is definitely a feeling of.."it's all those other teams who cheated all these years now we've done it ..how could they ..ban them all" and the way the media is reporting this is certainly feeding into that.

I've never had an issue with the antics Aus got up to - not walking, sledging etc..but this certainly feels "big" compared to all the other instances of match fixing. The video footage + admitting to a planned effort to cheat = snow ball.
lol how do you relate "not walking" to Australia? If anything Australia have more of a history of walking when out than other teams, and definitely not more so.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's like when the Rabada/Smith thing happened, that was fairly easy for the #Believers to rationalise that what Rabada did was actually #CrossingTheLine and take Smith's side and believe the 3 demerit points were warranted, even tho any sensible person could see that it was crazy.

I think the evidence is so damning right now that the #Believers are having a crisis of faith, and so they've decided that what they Believe in isn't wrong, it's that Smith and Co. are the devils who are going against everything that Australian Cricket stands for, and so they must be banished in order to preserve the sanctity of Australian Cricket.

It's so fantastic. Puritanical Australian Cricket Fans are my new favorite meme fan group.
There are definitely people here who legit believe this still. One guy on Whateley's show who was 100% convinced that this wouldn't have happened had Rabada been "punished properly".

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
lol how do you relate "not walking" to Australia? If anything Australia have more of a history of walking when out than other teams, and definitely not more so.
It was just a general comment tbh. Obviously Australia have created an image of not walking. It's something most fans associate with Aus by and large. Rightly or wrongly it is what it is.

I have no issue with it.

TheJediBrah

There are definitely people here who legit believe this still. One guy on Whateley's show who was 100% convinced that this wouldn't have happened had Rabada been "punished properly".
Rabada's send offs were the issue. The bump was nothing. I don't know why it was focussed on so much.

Send-offs in general are just pathetic
It was just a general comment tbh. Obviously Australia have created an image of not walking. It's something most fans associate with Aus by and large. Rightly or wrongly it is what it is.

I have no issue with it.
Obviously? I have no idea where you're getting your information from

morgieb

TBF I do think that Australia being annoyed at Rabada getting off was an influencing factor towards them trying a stunt like this.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL wat?? How on earth do come up with that??

Just because you had 1 Adam Gilchrist do you really believe that's the Aussie way? Mate surely you must know that Gilly made himself pretty unpopular in that dressing room because of his stand on this.

Not being a dick Brah but this is exactly what we've been talking about.......this genuine belief that some of you have that the Aussies are better than the rest in these regards. They aren't mate and never have been.

cnerd123

likes this
Walking is very much an 'Adam Gilchrist' thing and not an 'Australian' thing.

Don't believe me? Ask Steve Waugh:

"He did absolutely nothing wrong, Stuart Broad," Waugh said of the incident during the first Test at Trent Bridge, when he stood his ground after an edge deflected off the gloves of Brad Haddin and was caught by Michael Clarke at first slip. "I don't hold any grudges at all against Broad. We tend not to like cricketers who actually play like Australians. In my experience, the guys that are hard-nosed and get in your face like Javed Miandad, Arjuna Ranatunga, Sourav Ganguly and Stuart Broad, we would probably like to have them on our side. That's why we don't like them."
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/17/england-stuart-broad-steve-waugh-ashes-australia

#BelievingTheMyth #CheatingAussies

TheJediBrah

I think most fans in the sub continent have this view.
Which doesn't surprise me. Subcontinental cricket fans have never had the most logical or sensible opinions when it comes to the Australian cricket team.

Aussies don't walk (except Gilchrist). But that is neither unique to them nor relevant here nor a massive issue.
Exactly, it was referred to as though Australians are somehow more "not walking" than any other teams, which is idiotic.

TheJediBrah

LOL wat?? How on earth do come up with that??

Just because you had 1 Adam Gilchrist do you really believe that's the Aussie way? Mate surely you must know that Gilly made himself pretty unpopular in that dressing room because of his stand on this.

Not being a dick Brah but this is exactly what we've been talking about.......this genuine belief that some of you have that the Aussies are better than the rest in these regards. They aren't mate and never have been.
I know flying off the handle and not actually reading what you're responding to is a trademark of yours, but give it a go at least once in a while. Notice the words "if anything" and "not more so". I never said Australia definitively walk more than other teams.

I was responding directly to an absurd statement indicating that Australia "walk" less than other teams. And ftr the only incident I had in mind was Adam Gilchrist, given what a unique situation it was (actually being given not out, then deciding to walk). I never said "Australia definitely walk more than other teams". Literally just refuting that one dumb statement.

try to READ and UNDERSTAND before you fly off the handle next time