• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did it become this big of a deal, I truly don't get it. It's probably because of the label cheating. This falls on one of the lowest rungs of cheating out there yet the label makes it much worse for the wear.
Because for so long they have made themselves out to be whiter than white (and that not just the sugar they used previously to cheat) and criticised anyone who has ever spoken against them saying they NEVER crossed the line. Well they were at it and they crossed the line so they deserve all they get and more.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How did it become this big of a deal, I truly don't get it. It's probably because of the label cheating. This falls on one of the lowest rungs of cheating out there yet the label makes it much worse for the wear.
It's because it's Australia, the team full of sanctimonious hypocrites who love preaching about the spirit of the game.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was the unexpected blatentness of it, followed by the attempt to cover it up and lie to the umpires (organized by the coach!).... and then a press conference of 'admittance' that made a mockery of the whole thing, trying to protect Lehmann, and make it sound as if this was caused by a sudden irrational 'thought' and moment of madness, when clearly it was thought out and deliberate "wrong place wrong time" what the hell reasoning is that?

they basically did everything wrong in the situation.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Internet.

Dale Steyn put up the video on his twitter. He was accused of ball tampering by Australia during the 2nd Test in 2014 and Clarke called him a cheat.

These two articles shed some light on the context and background. The Australian team does not do itself any favours with their sanctimonious holier than thou attitude.

South Africa back on the moral high ground - ESPNcricinfo

Brettig: Australia's 'line' becomes their noose - ESPNcricinfo

SeamUp

International Coach
The best part about this whole event on CW is everybody chipping in with their little bit.

Come post more frequently chaps.

Bolo

State Captain
The worst proven incident of this sort ever by some distance. I don't particularly care about any other incident of ball tampering ever, but this time is bad. Caught on camera in a bad way. In a series already generating a media frenzy for controversy. Involving half the team plus the coach. Involving the worst possible team for it to happen to. Lying to the umpires. Horrible statement to the media afterwards involving more lies. We are overreacting, as is the case with pretty much every controversy, but this is a case that deserves a strong reaction.

SeamUp

International Coach
The worst proven incident of this sort ever by some distance. I don't particularly care about any other incident of ball tampering ever, but this time is bad. Caught on camera in a bad way. In a series already generating a media frenzy for controversy. Involving half the team plus the coach. Involving the worst possible team for it to happen to. Lying to the umpires. Horrible statement to the media afterwards involving more lies. We are overreacting, as is the case with pretty much every controversy, but this is a case that deserves a strong reaction.
I remember not liking the Athers incident very much at all and while he was still playing I disliked him as a person and a player because of it.

He had to have the full press conference afterwards too.

Lucky he got a 5th chance as a commentator who I really enjoy listening to at times.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/atherton-premeditated-australia-bang-to-rights-20180325

Bolo

State Captain
Forgot about that one. That annoyed me as well, but I think that's more national bias on my behalf than it being anywhere near this magnitude.

michaelm

Cricket Spectator
OK - so Payne is now Captain. What happens if the Aussies go down (likely)? Does the loss get recorded against him?

Bet he didn't think that one through.

And anyway, who's to say Payne wasn't involved? Has CA categorically said he wasn't? Shouldn't they 'investigate' first before they make such a decision - and then let the everyone know he's clean?

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

I remember not liking the Athers incident very much at all and while he was still playing I disliked him as a person and a player because of it.

He had to have the full press conference afterwards too.

Lucky he got a 5th chance as a commentator who I really enjoy listening to at times.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/atherton-premeditated-australia-bang-to-rights-20180325
I always thought Atherton should have been sacked for the dirt in the pocket incident. He was craftily hung out to dry by Illingworth and I don't think the press ever really forgave him so the knives were out for him all the time after that. Stayed far too long as captain after being caught like that but I guess it was before Cronje, Azharuddin and spot fixing so less was known other than Botham and Lamb accusing Pakistan of cheating.

TheJediBrah

Just no.

The real difference is the idiots went into a press conference and went into detail about a massive plan and conspiracy, rather than the usual plan of just denying it. If anything this whole incident goes to show the power the media has over the simple-minded public.