• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Redbacks

International Captain
No idea who hatched the plan, but Lehman was definitely in on it. That walkie talkie action didn't happen accidentally. Any player other than Smith can be defended (to some extent) due to following instructions, but there is no defence for Lehman.
Until the investigation is completed how can we really know?

If he is involved he will be sacked for sure.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're supposed to believe that the leadership group was having this discussion about ball tampering, and Bancroft casually overhead this and offered his services. How are we, then, supposed to believe that no-one in the coaching staff overhead this.

flibbertyjibber

We're supposed to believe that the leadership group was having this discussion about ball tampering, and Bancroft casually overhead this and offered his services. How are we, then, supposed to believe that no-one in the coaching staff overhead this.
Selective hearing, come on women claim us men have it all the time. Clearly Lehmann and co chose not to hear this.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

If he had a shred of decency in him he'd fall on his sword now - at least that way he'd improve the players chances of salvaging their careers

Top_Cat

Lehmann’s Sri Lankan incident suggestive of deafness, tbh.

flibbertyjibber

So with Smith and Warner being stood down from duties in this game but no announcement further are we just expecting them both to be suspended for the next test just it not being announced yet?

Obviously the ICC may ban players from Australia anyway ahead of the last test and make it easier for the Aussie authorities.

Bolo

State Captain

Nothing is 100% proven, but I doubt there has ever been more clear evidence of someone's involvement in cheating other than the footage of Bancroft himself.

Assuming Lehman doesn't do the honourable thing and resign, there should be an investigation, because you should never sack anyone without an investigation, but it's pretty clear what the results of the investigation should be.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He won’t captain Australia again after this, we know that much.
Yeah I'm not sure about that. What this episode has demonstrated is that there is a massive disconnect between the Australian public and CA.

Today they buckled under pressure. But the public sentiment will move on. When Smith was caught cheating in India, CA did nothing and blamed India and Kohli instead.

In a year's time when this episode is forgotten, I can see them appointing Smith again, mainly because there aren't a lot of other candidates. Surely Paine is not a long term bet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think I should be allowed to change my avatar in protest at this. Disgusting antics.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think "legalised" is the wrong term. Just a less restrictive approach as to what is considered "tampering".
I'm fine with the fielding team doing whatever they want to the ball as long as they're using 'natural' means.

By 'natural' I mean using their hands, feet, the ground, body fluids like saliva or sweat, or abrasive parts of your equipment like spikes and zips. Bringing sandpaper or bottle tops would still be illegal. Biting the ball Afridi style would still be a no because biting a cricket ball is not a natural thing to do.

I know people have argued in favour of tradition, but the law is stupidly written at the moment. Shining the ball is accepted because that's maintaining the condition of the ball yet raising a seam that's gone flat isn't. For getting a ball to reverse, what you're doing to the shiny side is generally fine, getting the other side rough is a lot more restricted.

TheJediBrah

What the hell is up with the Aus politicians... have they got so few serious concerns that SA white farmers and Aus cricket team is the big pressing issues?
Pretty much tbh. Australia isn't one of (if not the single) best countries to live in on the planet for no reason. Politicians have to find something to do I guess.

Gob

International Coach
Is this there a possibility that they're standing him down temporarily as a PR move while the dust settles down and will re-appoint him after the match/series?
Was my feelings exactly. I've been a huge fan of him and all he has done over the past four years for the team but surely he can not continue after this

Interested to see who they will apoint to replace him though i think Cummins is a decent shout assuming that he maintains the current level of fitness but that is still a big if. Maybe recall Renshaw and pin it on him ala Gream Smith but not sure. This is the darkest time of Aust cricket

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Just saw on fox news that Smith's IPL franchise is about to sack him lol

No Indian gravy train for you, champ

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lehmann is coming off as a cowardly weasel from where I'm standing.

He was almost certainly involved based on the evidence, and even if he wasn't he's 100% responsible for the team culture - a term I normally abhor but which is totally relevant here given the way those ****s talk about that imaginary line is that's wherever they want to set it.

flibbertyjibber

Every time they have spouted off about that line you can imagine them laughing their heads off in the dressing room/hotel knowing they had been cheating and getting away with it for so long. So glad they have been caught out.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How did it become this big of a deal, I truly don't get it. It's probably because of the label cheating. This falls on one of the lowest rungs of cheating out there yet the label makes it much worse for the wear.