• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You think the CEO had his phone off the hook yesterday? You think Lehmann didn't escalate in the extra hour between the end of play and the delayed press conference?
It was late at night in Australia when the events unfolded. Sutherland gave a statement first thing Sunday morning.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I hope Lehmann cops some flak out of this. He's always been teflon to date. Can't stand the man.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I really hope that Warner and Smith stepping down does not mean Lehman gets away scot-free. He is really the ultimate ring leader and since he took over, the conduct of the Australian team only went from bad to worse.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Is this there a possibility that they're standing him down temporarily as a PR move while the dust settles down and will re-appoint him after the match/series?
This was my thinking. The immediate stand-down is pure PR, for sure. The public will be the judge and jury on this so I think Smith may be a gonna.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
100% agree with above. Everyone saying the buck stops with Smith as captain......but what about Lehman the coach? His job is to dictate and set the team culture.....even if he wasn't aware of this conspiracy to cheat it still happened on his watch.

Fat **** has to go IMO.

BeeGee

International Captain
I can't see any way that Smith could ever captain Australia again. There will just be too much baggage.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Lehmann cops some flak out of this. He's always been teflon to date. Can't stand the man.
He was one cricketer I adored being Yorkshires greatest overseas player but he is a smug arrogant prick who has got his coming soon you would hope.

vandem

International 12th Man
It was late at night in Australia when the events unfolded. Sutherland gave a statement first thing Sunday morning.
I think most CEOs carry a phone, even at night. Sutherland's initial reaction wouldn't have been public, it would have been back to Lehmann (or whoever it was from CA who Lehmann contacted and who then escalated to Sutherland).

Bolo

State Captain
Yes and the Australian public condemning them will hopefully ensure disgraceful behaviour from the cricket team is not explained with 'Aussie way' next time.
I like to think the double punch of having 2 horrible human beings in Lehman and Warner in the setup was already working the public in this direction, but this is hopefully a knockout blow.

Howsie

International Captain
He’s an awesome batsman but Smith has always come across as a petulant child to me. This kind of crap doesn’t surprise me with him, and he obviously has a history with it.

He won’t captain Australia again after this, we know that much.

Redbacks

International Captain
LOL wat?? How so?
It always been tradition that the coach had very little say in the on field direction/tactics during a match.

Clarke was backgrounding the press via Warne to complain when Lehmann was crossing this line a few years back.

Unless it comes out he hatched the idea, I don’t see how the coach is to blame for the skippers actions.

Bolo

State Captain
It always been tradition that the coach had very little say in the on field direction/tactics during a match.

Clarke was backgrounding the press via Warne to complain when Lehmann was crossing this line a few years back.

Unless it comes out he hatched the idea, I don’t see how the coach is to blame for the skippers actions.
No idea who hatched the plan, but Lehman was definitely in on it. That walkie talkie action didn't happen accidentally. Any player other than Smith can be defended (to some extent) due to following instructions, but there is no defence for Lehman.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No idea who hatched the plan, but Lehman was definitely in on it. That walkie talkie action didn't happen accidentally. Any player other than Smith can be defended (to some extent) due to following instructions, but there is no defence for Lehman.
This, he knew and was trying to cover it up.