• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

Nicolas Tector

Cricket Spectator
Ireland have serious technical flows at this stage and thus this dots.. they can't play against quality bowling because they all play trundlers at the domestics..

so many wickets were in hand, still struggling to score 200+ due to lack of strike rotation and gap findings. that's all part of how good a batsman you are. and baring 1 or 2 most are pathetic here. let's face the truth..Ireland you need to go a long way...

Nicolas Tector

Cricket Spectator
So that's it..Ireland has scored 209/7 in 50 overs, which is a very below par score considering they were not all out and were 50 odd for 0 at the start. So a very serious issue of failing to tick up the tempo when needed. Very one dimensional cricket by the boys.. dot dot dot single dot dot dot four..dot dot.. :(

Still that's what it is scoring 200 odd batting full 50 overs, even in the 90s it would be horrendous for a sporting pitch score!!

Only way to win this is a Afghanistan choke and obviously our bowlers need to bowl with more than the regular avarage bowling efforts they do! If our bowlers fail it would be quite easy for them. So
must bowl with good discipline and perfect line n length.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Afghan batting is deep. Key for Ireland will be to not let them off the hook after taking the first 3-4 wickets.

I think Ireland will definitely have their moments in the 2nd half, even if they don't win the match.

Bolo

State Captain
Here is my preferred WC format:

4 groups of 4. Round robin. Total of 24 games. Play 2 games a day on some weekdays for the lower profile games, schedule the big Full-Member clashes for the weekend and have them be the only fixture for that day. Can get the 24 games done within 2 weeks.

Top 2 from each group progresses to the KO stage. Straight Quarter Finals. 4 games, then 2 games for the Semis, then the final. Space the games out to allow for rest, marketing, building up hype. Can finish the final 7 games within another 2 weeks.

1 month. 16 teams. Done and dusted.
Given an egalitarian setup that isn't focussed on short term cash grabs, this would probably be ideal. Obviously not going to happen though.

More importantly, as an RSA fan I don't think I can endorse this idea. World cup only comes every 4 years. I'd like to watch my team play at least one match per year on average?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty embarassed to say I went almost the entire day thinking Zim had won. Say D/L and the scores so close online that I had assumed they had chased down the revised target with a few overs to spare.

Disappointed that Taylor wont feature but there are some excellent players from both Ireland and Afghanistan who i want to see at the Cup.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty embarassed to say I went almost the entire day thinking Zim had won. Say D/L and the scores so close online that I had assumed they had chased down the revised target with a few overs to spare.

Disappointed that Taylor wont feature but there are some excellent players from both Ireland and Afghanistan who i want to see at the Cup.
Yeah Taylor's the feel-bad story of the tournament.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
I don't get to watch much cricket now I live in Sweden but I got to see some of the highlights from this on cricinfo. We didn't really deserve to go through to the World Cup. We played so **** against the two established full nations. If anything, I feel for Scotland. They've got a really good solid squad now - it's a shame they aren't the 13th ODI team.

Thing that worries me the most is the core players we rely on the most in 2018 were also the same around 2008. Our most consistent and only world class batsman is 40 soon and our best bowler is 37. Saying that, the bowling stocks look ok. In the small bits I've seen of him, Barry McCarthy looks good and so does Peter Chase. Not sure exactly what the deal is now with Irish players in county cricket, but hopefully they get a few more seasons under their belts.

The batting on the other hands...

Statistically, Will Porterfield is one of our best bats in ODIs If you take out games against the bottom associates that had ODI status, he averages 23 at 60 over 90 matches. Other than Stirling, everyone else is on the wrong side of 30. What does everyone think of Balbirnie? I haven't seen much of him but going purely by numbers and when he scores them, he is a bit hit and miss.

Will be interesting to see how we go in test matches. As long as we're not as dire as we were in series against NZ in 08.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't get to watch much cricket now I live in Sweden but I got to see some of the highlights from this on cricinfo. We didn't really deserve to go through to the World Cup. We played so **** against the two established full nations. If anything, I feel for Scotland. They've got a really good solid squad now - it's a shame they aren't the 13th ODI team.

Thing that worries me the most is the core players we rely on the most in 2018 were also the same around 2008. Our most consistent and only world class batsman is 40 soon and our best bowler is 37. Saying that, the bowling stocks look ok. In the small bits I've seen of him, Barry McCarthy looks good and so does Peter Chase. Not sure exactly what the deal is now with Irish players in county cricket, but hopefully they get a few more seasons under their belts.

The batting on the other hands...

Statistically, Will Porterfield is one of our best bats in ODIs If you take out games against the bottom associates that had ODI status, he averages 23 at 60 over 90 matches. Other than Stirling, everyone else is on the wrong side of 30. What does everyone thing of Balbirnie? I haven't seen much of him but going purely by numbers and when he scores them, he is a bit hit and miss.

Will be interesting to see how we go in test matches. As long as we're not as dire as we were in series against NZ in 08.
Balbirnie looked okay for his century the other day, okay but not a world beater. his technique looked a little flawed