• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
The best Elgar and Amla have started an innings this 'major part'of the summer.

Getting in behind the ball and playing under their eyes. They just look to be moving better.

Bolo

State Captain
When Elgar isn't getting beaten at least once an over, you know there is trouble coming. Not 100% sure if it's trouble for the opposition or trouble for the spectators. Maybe both.

Spark

Global Moderator
I like reverse swing but three Tests in a row where it's the main way seam bowlers get any movement is getting excessive.

SeamUp

International Coach
When Elgar isn't getting beaten at least once an over, you know there is trouble coming. Not 100% sure if it's trouble for the opposition or trouble for the spectators. Maybe both.
Not really.

Peak Elgar of last summer, India tour, New Zealand tour , Australia tour, England tour, Sri Lanka tour isn't as out of sink like he has been this summer. He generally leaves well.

He has been searching a bit much this summer as he hasn't been at his best for whatever reason (testing pitches v India included)

cnerd123

likes this
Not really.

Peak Elgar of last summer, India tour, New Zealand tour , Australia tour, England tour, Sri Lanka tour isn't as out of sink like he has been this summer. He generally leaves well.

He has been searching a bit much this summer as he hasn't been at his best for whatever reason (testing pitches v India included)
I think that's Bolo's point - the fact that Elgar is no longer getting beaten is bad news for the Aussies

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that's Bolo's point - the fact that Elgar is no longer getting beaten is bad news for the Aussies
I think it was less about Elgar and more about the pitch..... Elgar gets beaten quite a lot normally, even when scoring runs.

SeamUp

International Coach
Fair enough.

I was looking at the concern for the pitch.

But watching him this morning (and Amla) for that matter they are moving more positively into their shots and playing under their eyes much better.

Elgar said he went away during this break and had time to reflect and he had to get a few things right. Elgar is like that so I'm looking at it as a positive from his part that he is looking good (good pitch or more testing pitch).

One of his strengths when playing well is leaving well because when he was younger he would knick off a lot (still scored runs) but he became a very good leaver outside off. Easily forgotten how safe he looked in his peak form over the last while.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because of his form, Elgar was one of the batsmen, I think, that were told be more positive, and he started playing at balls that he would normally just have left alone.... they should just leave him. A 50 run 150 ball innings is what I hope from Elgar, he is not there to give us wonderful flashy shots.

Good start for SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
The shot that Markram played was a typical Highveld batsman shot against a new ball on the coast. If it isn't quite there to drive then the worst thing is to go almost half-hearted as you will knick off.

Definitely where he will have to learn as you can't always play on the up wherever you are.

Bolo

State Captain
Bit of both.

Elgar in good nick seems to be be beaten a fair bit. Might be symptomatic of him facing more balls than the average opener, and openers all get beaten a fair bit, but I think it's also because he's a focused grinder, and doesn't go for risky shots/hit the bowlers off line/length or the cover off the ball etc. Nothing wrong with this BTW. An opener's job is primarily to see off the new ball as opposed to scoring runs, and he does this well.

Elgar recently has been missing every second ball.

He's been missing nothing here, but he's still not at his best- checked drives, miss-timed shots. So either the pitch is offering nothing (bad for spectators), AUS are creating nothing (bad for AUS), or both.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bend your back at Newlands and you will find rewards (Full and in recent years short too).

Even the draws have been close to results. We going 5 days here lads.

Well batted Deano.

Pity Hash (seemed to have gone quiet for a while)