• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

cnerd123

likes this
But that's the crucks of the problem, who decides what is offensive? Quite often that is left to the player who gets sledged/abused and his reaction rather than having, a simple line which is an almost impossible creation. If Steve Smith had not even worried about that shoulder touch then the umpires would have probably just left it alone. If Warner had not been screaming at QDK and just walked away at Durban, then QDK would probably not have been charged. If you are going to charge somebody with something, then charge everybody consistently all the time. If QDK gets charged with sledging, then everybody that sledged on the field in Durban should and must get charged.
Which is why it just spins back to the demerits system is broken.

The older system of simply sending things up to the match referee to solve with off-field fines worked pretty well. Once you start assigning a number value to the offence, you need to start drawing lines, and the whole thing becomes silly.

Heboric

International Debutant
Which is why it just spins back to the demerits system is broken.

The older system of simply sending things up to the match referee to solve with off-field fines worked pretty well. Once you start assigning a number value to the offence, you need to start drawing lines, and the whole thing becomes silly.

Dont worry its the SFW version

SeamUp

International Coach
Just veering to the left a bit , I see what the Aussie boys were saying about Lyon ditching his wife and kids for a young hottie.

A lot has changed since being a curator at the Adelaide Oval hasn't it ?

There is an article in the Daily Telegraph where his ex-wife lambastes him.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just veering to the left a bit , I see what the Aussie boys were saying about Lyon ditching his wife and kids for a young hottie.

A lot has changed since being a curator at the Adelaide Oval hasn't it ?

There is an article in the Daily Telegraph where his ex-wife lambastes him.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

He did absolutely NOTHING wrong. Both as a man in fulfilling his duty, and as a human being.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lehmann with the mail to those who reckoned Amla and Elgar weren't scoring quick enough on day 2.

Elgar, Amla taught us a lesson - Lehmann - ESPNcricinfo

This is why it was such a good Test for SA. Their guns performed but those not in the spotlight did a job too. Not even just these two, Ngidi took 5 for the game, bowled tight and got some reverse and a couple of really key poles.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm still thinking about *****'s sort of comparing the opposite side of the spectrum. If times have changed we really need to penalize the guys who take laid back too far. They and their boredom are a blight on the game.

Rabada needs a new strategy. With Warner he should have gone up and said well played and shook his hand and then enjoyed him losing his cool and taking the reprimand instead. Nothing worse than a calm smug smart are.

Spark

Global Moderator
Those people won't be satisfied until they see cricketers they personally dislike (let's be honest, principally Australian and Indian ones) rubbed out for entire series for arbitrary reasons.

StephenZA

In what was was the old system a failure? In meeting some old stuffy men's vision of what they feel the spirit of cricket is?
The problem with the old system is it was very arbitrary, and quite often genuinely affected by the boards and players who were being criticised, depending on who you were... they have tried with the new system to put in clear lines and ideas of what is acceptable, since the new system came into place it has caused issues for very similar reasons but at least people can clearly see were the system needs fixing now. I understand people wanting to watch the best players play, but does that make it ok to give some people more problems than others just because of who they are? Rabada deserved the ban, not for these incidents but for the continual infractions. I wished it did not happen but ok this is the system.

What I have a problem with is he has been in trouble for shouting at batsmen and swearing, and we have seen for example, Kohli behave the exact same way and not get anything. Is this only for bowlers, or is that about a SA versus Indian player thing? That is my issue here. If the system is going to only punish some and not other players then the old system does as well as the new system. Would Rabada have been let off lighter if the last incident at Durban had not happened? Jeff Crowe was not happy with the way Rabada behaved after giving everybody a 'good talking to' ... how did that effect his decision? In the end Rabada brushing past Smith, level 2 offense. Warner shouting on stairway having to be held back by team mates, level 2 offence. Arbitrary? So after creating the new system, which I am fine with, but letting the exact old issues pop up from the old system. So it has nothing to do with the system, it is the ICC and administration of the system that is the problem, old or new.

StephenZA

Lehmann with the mail to those who reckoned Amla and Elgar weren't scoring quick enough on day 2.

Elgar, Amla taught us a lesson - Lehmann - ESPNcricinfo

This is why it was such a good Test for SA. Their guns performed but those not in the spotlight did a job too. Not even just these two, Ngidi took 5 for the game, bowled tight and got some reverse and a couple of really key poles.
It felt like a proper test cricket watching that morning. Ngidi has been excellent. 21 year old, still learning his trade and competing with the best. SA continue to be so lucky with our fast bowlers.

Spark

Global Moderator
So it has nothing to do with the system, it is the ICC and administration of the system that is the problem, old or new.
Even accepting the premise of the rest of your post, which I would strongly dispute, this here is a distinction with zero difference.

StephenZA

Even accepting the premise of the rest of your post, which I would strongly dispute, this here is a distinction with zero difference.
The new system came into place because people have been complaining that some players were being let off lighter than others... they have tried to bring in guide lines and a point system to combat this. But it feels very much like the same thing is happening. That is all I'm saying.

Edit: I also dislike the lack of distinction between Tests and ODI's... this is 4 ODI`s or 2 Tests. Due to timing Rabada is going to be banned for 2 tests, I care about that. Could not give a damn if Rabada missed 4 ODI`s outside the WC.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Would Rabada have been let off lighter if the last incident at Durban had not happened? Jeff Crowe was not happy with the way Rabada behaved after giving everybody a 'good talking to' ... how did that effect his decision?
I think the punishment for the Warner send off could very well have been as a result of the Durban incident. It seems a bit unbalanced that shouting "Yes, yes" at a batsman should receive the same penalty as swearing at him or delivering some other form of abuse, but when you take into that both teams had already been warned, and that the idea had already been put forward at a press conference of provoking Warner into doing something that would gain him another point and resulting in him missing a game, then I can understand why that send off got dealt with more harshly than it might have been under other circumstances, with Rabada's history possibly also playing a role.

Spark

Global Moderator
The new system came into place because people have been complaining that some players were being let off lighter than others... they have tried to bring in guide lines and a point system to combat this. But it feels very much like the same thing is happening. That is all I'm saying.

Edit: I also dislike the lack of distinction between Tests and ODI's... this is 4 ODI`s or 2 Tests. Due to timing Rabada is going to be banned for 2 tests, I care about that. Could not give a damn if Rabada missed 4 ODI`s outside the WC.
My point is that just bringing in rigidity and harsh penalties over the top without changing the underlying assumptions or decision-making will just result in perverse outcomes.

StephenZA

My point is that just bringing in rigidity and harsh penalties over the top without changing the underlying assumptions or decision-making will just result in perverse outcomes.
Which I agree with. They are trying to treat the symptom and not the underlying problem... I could not care about the system, I care about the consistency.

Burner

International Regular
What I have a problem with is he has been in trouble for shouting at batsmen and swearing, and we have seen for example, Kohli behave the exact same way and not get anything. Is this only for bowlers, or is that about a SA versus Indian player thing? That is my issue here. If the system is going to only punish some and not other players then the old system does as well as the new system. Would Rabada have been let off lighter if the last incident at Durban had not happened? Jeff Crowe was not happy with the way Rabada behaved after giving everybody a 'good talking to' ... how did that effect his decision? In the end Rabada brushing past Smith, level 2 offense. Warner shouting on stairway having to be held back by team mates, level 2 offence. Arbitrary? So after creating the new system, which I am fine with, but letting the exact old issues pop up from the old system. So it has nothing to do with the system, it is the ICC and administration of the system that is the problem, old or new.
I agree with a lot of your post but isn't the bolded part pretty self-explanatory? Warner didn't do anything, it doesn't matter that he was being held back by his team mates or not, nothing was done but Rabada on the other hand brushed past Smith. Now it's not like Rabada punched Smith or anything but it was completely unnecessary and pretty intentional too if you ask me.

StephenZA

I agree with a lot of your post but isn't the bolded part pretty self-explanatory? Warner didn't do anything, it doesn't matter that he was being held back by his team mates or not, nothing was done but Rabada on the other hand brushed past Smith. Now it's not like Rabada punched Smith or anything but it was completely unnecessary and pretty intentional too if you ask me.
I would not call it self-explanatory, but fine if that is the distinction I would like to see that in the report by Crowe in the public domain... I feel like what happened with Rabada was more level 1 offence but has been raised to level 2 because of Smiths reaction and what has gone on prior. But how do we know?

It is amazing how when you make people write things down and give clear explanations on why they are doing things, then we can all make better informed decisions.

Added: Faf is implying, from meetings with referee, that Warner got giving 3 demerit points only because of 'other' self-explanatory reasons... is Faf talking nonsense? Or are their genuinely good reasons for that? So you start wondering and questioning the system.

I am going to stop posting on this now, in this thread... which is meant to be about the cricket.

Last edited: