• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** left arm spin. Left arm spin bowlers have disproportionately more success than the quality of their bowling demands. Being able to bowl around the wicket as a finger spinner for 75% of the time against right handers is such an unfair advantage to have. It's like how left handed batsmen are constantly fed deliveries in their pad or angling away from them to cut. Life's too easy.
It's like if Lyon got to bowl against nothing but left-handers. He'd have a sub-20 average.

And I can tell you as someone who has bowled a bit of off-spin, you feel like a god at times when you get to bowl around the wicket to lefties, compared to how it feels bowling to right-handers. I can only imagine left-arm spinners feel like this every time they bowl to righties

Last edited:

loterry

Cricket Spectator
I feel like SA are going to struggle to dismiss the lower order here. Anything over 150 and the Aussies would be in with a real chance IMO. Paine, Cummins, and Starc can all bat.
I'd like to hope so as well, but that khawaja wicket was so big at the end of the day, if they had added 50 more in that partnership could of been in a decent position, the 1st hour going to tell a lot today

loterry

Cricket Spectator
There are levels of "struggle" though. Everyone struggled, some people found a way regardless and most made at least some useful contributions at times.
still tough to compare, especially when guys like lyon and sok who usually don't get much spin, all of a sudden are spinning as much as warne did, in those Indian conditions, i mean sok got like 12 wickets in that 1st match didn't he. That was a whole different level and way more difficult to play spinners in that series compared to this series, which was pretty much dominated by spinners taking the majority of the wickets

SeamUp

International Coach
If you can get through that new ball nibble it seems reasonably fine unlike the first two innings where you felt there was always that bit of a nibble carrying on. That is of course until the reverse comes.

It is spinning but far too slowly at this moment.

Very intriguing morning session and days play ahead. Will have to stream it at work.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you can get through that new ball nibble it seems reasonably fine unlike the first two innings where you felt there was always that bit of a nibble carrying on. That is of course until the reverse comes.

It is spinning but far too slowly at this moment.

Very intriguing morning session and days play ahead. Will have to stream it at work.
Giving a lecture starting at 10.... lecture will end early.

Spark

Global Moderator
We are doing Newtons laws and classical mechanics.... I suppose I could show the of motion of a cricket ball live. (sigh! if only.)
Get them to explain why gravity is a 100% unpredictable thing and there's no way to predict how high a ball will bounce, even after you've measured its velocity.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get them to explain why gravity is a 100% unpredictable thing and there's no way to predict how high a ball will bounce, even after you've measured its velocity.
I wish! This is a physics course for people who don`t actually want to do physics (nursing, construction, architecture! etc)...... even though everybody should do basic physics. But this is getting off topic now.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
It's like if Lyon got to bowl against nothing but left-handers. He'd have a sub-20 average.

And I can tell you as someone who has bowled a bit of off-spin, you feel like a god at times when you get to bowl around the wicket to lefties, compared to how it feels bowling to right-handers. I can only imagine left-arm spinners feel like this every time they bowl to righties
More like, coming from a lousy left-arm spinner's point of view, suddenly having to bowl to a fellow lefty and thinking, "now what."

SeamUp

International Coach
Proper champion.

Will no doubt follow in the footsteps of some of our great fast bowlers. He really is something special.

Boris_Dog

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Marsh had a proper whinge when he walked past Rabada. Wonder if he will get called out by the Aussie media machine. Me thinks not...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marsh had a proper whinge when he walked past Rabada. Wonder if he will get called out by the Aussie media machine. Me thinks not...
That's weird timing from Marsh. Why would you want to have a chirp back when a guy's just clean bowled you?