• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, since the CWC Taylor has a slight edge (86.6 to 84.4) - though it should be noted that that difference is driven entirely by Wednesday's game. Prior to that match their post CWC strike rates were identical - 84.2 apiece!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, since the CWC Taylor has a slight edge (86.6 to 84.4) - though it should be noted that that difference is driven entirely by Wednesday's game. Prior to that match their post CWC strike rates were identical - 84.2 apiece!
Very interesting, cheers. Not something most of us would've predicted. Looks like Ross scored his runs bloody slowly last summer, 76 per 100 as opposed to 90 this summer.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Until the last match I would've said of our top 3 ODI batsmen, Williamson and Taylor were the more consistent, but Guptill had a higher top gear and was the only one capable of a 'just win' innings - huge runs at very high strike rate. Now Taylor's done that for the first time too - his previous high score was 132. People say Williamson doesn't have that 180(140) type of innings in him, but I would not bet against it if he plays for another decade or close to.

Think we've also found a good solution to our lower order innings-finishing problems too - Martin, Kane, Ross, we know you're great at scoring centuries to get us through to 220/3, but if you could then also bash another 60(30) on top to finish off that would be great. Thanks :cool:.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such an epic knock, decided to list my top 10 NZ innings. Could be caught in the moment ranking it 2nd, but.....

1. Guptill 237* v WI (WC)
2. Taylor 181* v Eng
3. Fleming 134* v SA (WC)
4. Guptill 180* v SA
5. Styris 141 v SL (WC)
6. Guptill 189* v Eng
7. Chris Harris 130 v Aus (WC)
8. Taylor 128* v SL (WC)
9. Jamie How 139 v Eng
10. Chris Cairns 102* v India (CT)
Yeah, that's a pretty good list.

This one must rank reasonably high too? And possibly this one.

Astle played some pretty awesome ones in run chases too - I remember one against South Africa in Auckland, and one against England in Dunedin.

Flem274*

123/5
Time for Chapman to live up to the hype in Taylor's absence. Bit of a shoot out between he and Nicholls.

Latham not off the hook either. Needs to show he can play a really long innings still.

Blain

U19 Captain
Weather looks good, cool though. Taylor out, NZ batting first.

Debbie Hockley commentating. Ugghh... I'll be listening to the ACC for sure.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't ever think Taylor could be fit for this. Would love to see runs from Chapman.

Still no Henry or Ferguson. We've at times been disappointed in Henry's game not developing and problems ironed out, but being perennial 12th man, as he has been for much of the last 18 months, can't help.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That was exceptionally spuddy from Munro. Short arm jab-pull when you don't have the pace of the wicket.

Flem274*

123/5
that's the sort of shot that should make munro very relieved seifert isn't in favour

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Time for Chapman to live up to the hype in Taylor's absence. Bit of a shoot out between he and Nicholls.

Latham not off the hook either. Needs to show he can play a really long innings still.
Give chapman 5 minutes to settle ffs. I don't think he's going to come into internationals and immediately reproduce what he's doing domestically, he needs to be given the kind of backing nicholls has.

Flem274*

123/5
Give chapman 5 minutes to settle ffs. I don't think he's going to come into internationals and immediately reproduce what he's doing domestically, he needs to be given the kind of backing nicholls has.
im not saying consign him to the skip if he fails, but this is a big opportunity for him to show he's got it and i would like to see something of substance soon

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Commentators concerned about Guptill's thumb being injured, but what they don't realise is that injuring yourself gives you super-powers and Guptill will now play an innings like Taylor last match. Bad move England.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf England have a clear strategy to Guptill and Williamson and are bowling accurately. Wood also getting good outswing.

Meridio

International Regular
It's just the extra bounce in the pitch I reckon - hard to hit through the line of a good length when it's popping a little bit. Seems a touch slow as well.

vandem

International 12th Man
So Munro is out early again, and Kane is having a bad summer, and the bowling is tight. Doesn't excuse Guppy's approach, another 50 (87) will mean another loss.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
This is now or never for Nicolls, his spot should be on the line in this match but you never know with the selectors.

So Munro is out early again, and Kane is having a bad summer, and the bowling is tight. Doesn't excuse Guppy's approach, another 50 (87) will mean another loss.
Guptill isn't in form, doesn't help with Munro and Kane aren't doing much either. Then there's the middle and lower order.... I can understand the thinking behind playing conservatively to anchor the innings and launch later on (hasn't happened yet).

Last edited: