• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only two problems with this tri series is the length (not the number of games) and the telecasting of it.

It took too long - we need at least 3/ week. Look at baseball - they play 5 days in a row regularly. Surely a Tuesday/ Friday/Sunday schedule isn't too hard for t20 cricket. And I got messed up the the final Aus game being on a Saturday. I missed it because CA have trained me to believe that all white ball cricket gets played on Friday and Sunday.

The telecasting had been problematic. The English need two pay tv channels to watch it while Australian viewers only get the Aus games on fta. We don't even get the final. It's just weird and feels odd to have a single NZ game.

Other than that I don't mind the number of games or the quality of the cricket. It has more context than the Sri Lanka games last year since we've been playing England all summer.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I think part of the problem is that there are no matches involving the host country; don't see why a NZ/Eng match could've been played somewhere in Australia and Ch 9 could've screened it on one of their other digital channels.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think part of the problem is that there are no matches involving the host country; don't see why a NZ/Eng match could've been played somewhere in Australia and Ch 9 could've screened it on one of their other digital channels.
do you mean not involving the host country? IMO that just makes good sense. Why would you play a NZ/Eng match in Aus or Eng/Aus match in NZ when you're going to generate more interest and make more money by always having the home team involved?

You wouldn't schedule a game between 2 neutrals if you don't have to.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, exactly. I think the poor attendance for non-Aus games was a big contributor to the downfall of the tri-series I used to love so much in the '90s and early 2000s.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My wife broke up with a Mr Darcy before she started dating me. She doesn't like Jane Austin much any more.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't even like T20 cricket at all, but I suspect that 3 (hopefully 4) straight NZ v England/Australia T20s are gonna do pretty well in terms of public interest in NZ.

The non-CW-hipster market (aka the Veitchy on Sport market) will see this as the start of our "real" summer of cricket and a chance to test ourselves against top opposition after the Windies and Pakistan. The mid-season lull is probably only going to heighten anticipation and the rugby season hasn't warmed up yet.
Will they? Honest question, I haven't seen much hype about it in the media etc. I look on Stuff and 24 hours out there's a single story. Herald there's none unless you really, really dig deep.

I'll give it another chance tomorrow night,

robbypark

U19 Debutant
Somebody want to explain to me how England is the betting favorite against New Zealand for tomorrow? England has their worst T20 side in decades right now, in large part due to player omissions and Morgan isn't playing tomorrow either. They literally have two top quality batsmen in their whole side and their bowling is god-awful as usual. The Kiwis might be scuffling but they were the #1 ranked t20 side not too far ago. Guptill, Munro, Taylor and De Grandhomme are going to destroy the England bowlers. They are also playing at home.

I'd say the smart bet would be to take New Zealand for tomorrow.

Blain

U19 Captain
I see Henry Nicholls has been brought in to cover KW. The selectors really have no idea. He barely featured in the domestic T20 comp, but is next of the rank. At least they wouldn't play Kitchen up the order again :laugh:

I'd like to see,

Munerz
Guppy
Taylor
Chapman
GDG
Seifert/Bruce

I think Bruce is a finisher player at this level, he can score quickly, but if he bats time looks a bit 'fresh.'

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Somebody want to explain to me how England is the betting favorite against New Zealand for tomorrow? England has their worst T20 side in decades right now, in large part due to player omissions and Morgan isn't playing tomorrow either. They literally have two top quality batsmen in their whole side and their bowling is god-awful as usual. The Kiwis might be scuffling but they were the #1 ranked t20 side not too far ago. Guptill, Munro, Taylor and De Grandhomme are going to destroy the England bowlers. They are also playing at home.

I'd say the smart bet would be to take New Zealand for tomorrow.
Their worst T20 side in DECADES?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hales will be glad he is out of australia. Terrible record across formats in Aus iirc going way back to that lions tour when stokes and coles got sent home.

Roy really is poor at t20 and deserving of being dropped. Morgan injured tho it sounds like, so he'll presumably get another game.

Dunno why Dawson gets loads of abuse from English fans. He's not great but they're missing a ****load of players (so he gets no-where near the team when everyone there) and it's a weak area for England. He hasn't even been that bad when he gets picked for England.