• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a very good point that I haven't thought about. It'd be one thing for, say, Steve Smith to give up T20s in focus on Tests and ODIs, but for KW who barely even plays Tests or as many International games due to scheduling you'd want to play as many games for your country as you could.
The difference being although Australia could cope perfectly well without Smith, he is a very good T20 bat.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
I hate saying it, but our team is packed with losers.

I know it's tough to say because there top class players in the team, but these boys never step up for the biggest moments against the best.

Guys like Kohli (yet to do in a WC, giving him a pass because of his performances in Test cricket and GOAT tier LOIs performances) , Smith (Tests and 2015 WC) and Amir (CT spell to beat India) are winners, they like the big stage and challenges, that's where they thrive.

We need to find more winners who can cope with the pressure and thrive, until then we're not going to amount to anything in cricket.

We're not going to win major series away, we're not going to become #1 in the world in Tests or ODIs and we're certainly not going to win any ICC titles.

The fact this team is being called the greatest NZ team ever goes to show how average how cricket history is. Then there's Kane who isn't even a top 3 batsmen in the world and is being called the greatest NZ batsmen ever.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Course you can't blame KW, you have to blame the selectors, his T20 batting is just a liability. We don't need to have the same captain in all 3 forms.

I'd prefer .

Guptill
Phillips/Seifer+
Munro
Taylor
Chapman
CDG
Devcich
Santner
Sodhi
Ferguson/Tickner
Boult

Tell me that's not a much more attacking batting line-up than last night.I know there'll be some lolling at Devcich, but that also gives you lots more depth in the bowling dept. with Devcich, CDG, Munro & Chapman all being able to share the 5th bowling slot.
Devcich has had a great T20 season, but I don't think of him as a finisher. Josh Clarkson @ 7

TheJediBrah

I know it's tough to say because there top class players in the team, but these boys never step up at the biggest moments against the best.

Guys like Kohli (yet to do in a WC, giving him a pass because of his performances in Test cricket and GOAT tier LOIs performances) , Smith (Tests and 2015 WC) and Amir (CT spell to beat India) are winners, they like the big stage and challenges, that's where they thrive.

We need to find more winners who can cope with the pressure and thrive, until then we're not going to amount to anything in cricket.
lol does anyone overreact more than NZ cricket fans?

you lost one game. There's still a big chance that NZ will win this tournament, especially with the finals being held in NZ

vcs

I know it's tough to say because there top class players in the team, but these boys never step up at the biggest moments against the best.

Such an insightful analysis, the only thing any team needs to do to succeed is to find winners and not play losers. Surprised they've never thought of that.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Such an insightful analysis, the only thing any team needs to do to succeed is to find winners and not play losers. Surprised they've never thought of that.
Well, no one here was going to call out our players as losers. It's not like I'm saying it's an easy thing, just pointing out the reality that we're not going to do **** for a long long time and should be realistic about what this team can do.

A lot here seem to have convinced themselves Kane is one, but he isn't. I don't think he's an elite batsmen like Smith,Kohli or Root, he's several levels below them.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I don't know if it'll help his Test game, ODI game maybe...under usual circumstances I'd say Kane is the sort of bloke who'd put up his hand and say I don't deserve to be in this side, I'm going to concentrate on ODIs and Tests. But given the glut on Tests on our radar and more importantly the money Kane would potentially give up...I can't expect or do I even reasonably think he will/would.
Even more than that I think, he goes off the 20-20 radar which results on him missing out on IPL,etc, money.

So it becomes a pretty huge call to give him the flick ... even more so than him being the current captain of the side. With a guy of Kane's stature in NZ cricket I can't really blame the selectors (for once) for leaving him there.

TheJediBrah

haha I think what he was trying to say is that they aren't "big game players" who step up when the pressure is on

vcs

haha I think what he was trying to say is that they aren't "big game players" who step up when the pressure is on
And using their failure to win the first match of a meaningless T20 series to make his point?

Zinzan

May seem a rather obvious thing to say, but it is very true in NZ's case. We like to think we've had a few world class white ball players over the years, but I can only think of Grant Elliott (holding his nerve in the WC semi '15) and Chris Cairns (scoring that unbeaten hundred chasing in the 2000 CT final) who actually stood up and delivered in crucial matches under pressure. There's been so many other missed opportunities with all those semis NZ have made in white-ball tournaments over the years, but only those two mentioned players actually stood up and got us over the line. I might be being generous on Elliott since his only got us to the final, but that alone was a breakthrough from losing in semis... & Elliott was always that sort of cricketer, who in spite of his ordinary talent, he knew how to 'win'.

TheJediBrah

And using their failure to win the first match of a meaningless T20 series to make his point?
I'm assuming he knows more about it than me. There was the World Cup final too though, that was a pretty big choke.

edit: just look at Guptill. Makes 237 in the quarters against an ordinary WI side, then in the final misses a straight ball from Glen Maxwell

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
It's an accumulation of frustration that has been growing with each failure.

- Losing multiple series to Bangladesh
- Threw away a great chance at a Test series win in England after having England on the ropes
- Crumbling in the WC Final against Aus
- Smashed in SA
- Home and away Test series against Aus
- CT first round exit, that too after defeat to Bangladesh
- Choking deciders against England and India away
- Smashed by Pakistan at home
- Hammered by Aus in the only true test of this tri-series against a BBL XI

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
May seem a rather obvious thing to say, but it is very true in NZ's case. We like to think we've had a few world class white ball players over the years, but I can only think of Grant Elliott (holding his nerve in the WC semi '15) and Chris Cairns (scoring that unbeaten hundred chasing in the 2000 CT final) who actually stood up and delivered in crucial matches under pressure. There's been so many other missed opportunities with all those semis NZ have made in white-ball tournaments over the years, but only those two mentioned players actually stood up and got us over the line. I might be being generous on Elliott since his only got us to the final, but that alone was a breakthrough from losing in semis... & Elliott was always that sort of cricketer, who in spite of his ordinary talent, he knew how to 'win'.
Elliot won us a Semi Final against Pakistan in the 2009 CT. He was the only one who performed for us in the WC Final as well.

Last edited:

vcs

- Smashed in SA
- Getting smashed by Pakistan at home
By that standard, India have been far more guilty of "choking" away matches they were actually favoured to win (CT final, WT20 2016 SF against WI, WT20 2014 final against SL). Only one team can win a tournament.

They never choked deciders against India away, they were never ahead in those matches. They beat Pakistan 5-0 in the ODI series. Pakistan are the No. 1 ranked T20 team (not that I think it means much, they're an unpredictable side).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Even more than that I think, he goes off the 20-20 radar which results on him missing out on IPL,etc, money.

So it becomes a pretty huge call to give him the flick ... even more so than him being the current captain of the side. With a guy of Kane's stature in NZ cricket I can't really blame the selectors (for once) for leaving him there.
Yeah that's exactly what I meant by the post. Not just his NZC earnings (his weighting would drop without T20, although I imagine captaincy would hold him up or near top) but that probably shuts down any IPL/CPL etc hopes he has (which if anyone's watching should be happening now, but he just got signed up so what do I know).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

- Threw away a great chance at a Test series win in England after having England on the ropes
- Smashed in SA
- Smashed by Pakistan at home
Nice cherry-picking of results. Smashed by Pakistan at home is my favourite after we beat them 5-0 in ODIs. Cheer up pal.