• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2017/18

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
im not quite sure how im going to comprehend the score when england arrive and don't immediately roll over in ten overs for a belly rub
what are we going to do when England arrive and do get a belly rub?

Declare this team the greatest cricket team ever, that's what.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was thinking of posting something like that about Santner vs Vettori in test cricket - yeah we'd take the average in an instant, but I'd want Santner to do better than Vettori at taking fourth innings wickets and maybe even bowl NZ to the win when conditions suit. That sounds pretty hopeful, and it is. We'll see. He'd be doing well to equal Vettori's batting record too.

Suffice to say he's performing the Vettori role brilliantly in limited overs but has some way to go in tests atm.
I agree with this. Vettori beat batsmen in the air and rarely off the wicket, which is why he was no more effective on Day 5 than Day 1. Santner, while similar in some ways, will hopefully benefit more on worn tracks. .

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with this. Vettori beat batsmen in the air and rarely off the wicket, which is why he was no more effective on Day 5 than Day 1. Santner, while similar in some ways, will hopefully benefit more on worn tracks. .
yes exactly, that's the hope

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm the biggest Vettori-h8r on CW and even I think there's basically no reason to believe that Santner will ever be anywhere near as good as Vettori. Vettori was a legit batsman and did *ok* at being the main spinner. So far Santner is a disappointing batsman and not a proper frontline spinner.

It's just that on the most rudimentary assessment of his bowling he appears to have most of what Vettori had and more. Of course that's like 1% of spin bowling and the other 99% is mental so it's really all just best case scenario theorising for now.

Also I'm probably overlooking some great gift that Vettori had over Santner that someone with a better understanding of spin bowling would see.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's always going to be a stretch comparing a young player to someone who (probably) makes their country's All Time XI, but at the same time there are undoubted similarities there and unless NZ selectors become more adventurous and go for a leg-spinner, Santner is going to be hard to dislodge from his spot in the side.

Flem274*

123/5
after the past 11 wickets im going to hazard a guess this isn't a pitch for horizontal bat shots over the infield.

100 plays 100?

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's always going to be a stretch comparing a young player to someone who (probably) makes their country's All Time XI, but at the same time there are undoubted similarities there and unless NZ selectors become more adventurous and go for a leg-spinner, Santner is going to be hard to dislodge from his spot in the side.
Also a solid fielder and a handy batsman (though not a number 6s arse)

Flem274*

123/5
commentators now saying the pitch isn't international standard lol

looks fine if you bat properly and don't play any baseball swings. i know that's the point of T20, but it's good to make them work for their DLF maximums sometimes.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
What’s the pitch actually doing, for those watching on tv? Two paced? Doesn’t seem like it’s seaming all over the show or bouncing irregularly from the ground, at least.

Flem274*

123/5
i know this is absolute micro-analysing off a few deliveries, but this is CW talking **** is what it's for, so is anyone else concerned at Phillips prodding so far outside off a couple of times and being a bit hurried by Amir?

again there, way too close to cut.

edit - and out

Athlai

Not Terrible
i know this is absolute micro-analysing off a few deliveries, but this is CW talking **** is what it's for, so is anyone else concerned at Phillips prodding so far outside off a couple of times and being a bit hurried by Amir?

again there, way too close to cut.

edit - and out
Yup

Flem274*

123/5
What’s the pitch actually doing, for those watching on tv? Two paced? Doesn’t seem like it’s seaming all over the show or bouncing irregularly from the ground, at least.
commentators say two paced. to my uneducated eye it just looks tricky to control the bounce. any time someone heave ho's it risks hitting too high on the bat

Flem274*

123/5
so far the person who has played the most sensibly and even technically correct this entire game is...

colin munro

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bruce had a lot more control of that shot than commentators gave him credit for, IMO.