• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2017/18

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Reason on McCullum. He even got a mention in Baz' book didn't he, about how deeply resentful Reason is towards him.

Hilarious that he'd think Hesson, an old mate of Baz's who owes a lot of his international coaching success to him, would consider taking a pot shot that way. It's just so hilariously moronic that you can't quite understand how Reason would be so cringe as to even type it. Shows he has no qualms or embarrassment by writing complete and utter twot. But we knew that after he accused Pakistan of match fixing on regular occasion etc.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Now would be perfect time to blood new players (Bruce, Chapman) and give fringe players a chance to perform (Henry, Bennett).
Is there a T20 series? Wonder if they'll be pig headed and pick Kitchen again, when it's obvious Chapman needs to play. They probably will go the pig headed route.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm like the most anti-McCullum guy ever, but how can anyone seriously think that New Zealand are now on a high beyond the highs of 2014-15. That was like the highest high that ever highed, and I know height.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Mac was a terrific captain (taught Cook a few things over here) and a very good batsman. He did certainly lead the NZ side I've seen.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I'm actually amazed that article made it to print, it would seem to me to have no basis in reality other than Reason's petty personal grudge. Totally unprofessional putting it out there in a national newspaper.

Immenso

I'm not amazed.

I don't actually think Reason has the integrity to believe in more than 50% of what he writes.

His job is to assess what viewpoint will annoy more than 50% of potential readers, and then take that approach.

I think Baz can take it as a weird sort of 'compliment' that a professional troll thinks slagging him off is worthwhile.

Quite a turnaround. There would have been a time when a NZ professional troll would have taken the opposite approach, praise or defend McCullum, in an attempt to irritate that majority of NZ readers.

Although there is the hint of something personal. But I really doubt Reason has principals.

The Hutt Rec

I'm not amazed.

I don't actually think Reason has the integrity to believe in more than 50% of what he writes.

His job is to assess what viewpoint will annoy more than 50% of potential readers, and then take that approach.

I think Baz can take it as a weird sort of 'compliment' that a professional troll thinks slagging him off is worthwhile.

Quite a turnaround. There would have been a time when a NZ professional troll would have taken the opposite approach, praise or defend McCullum, in an attempt to irritate that majority of NZ readers.

Although there is the hint of something personal. But I really doubt Reason has principals.
Usually it is just that, a crazy, click-bait, outrage inducing opinion though ... I think it's the deliberate misinterpretation of Hesson's quotes to aid his vendetta which seems wrong to me in this instance. It shows an sad lack of journalistic integrity, in my opinion.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not amazed.

This is a really good point. Brendon I'm sure comforts himself with the fact that articles like this resonate with no one apart from a guy who lives in a cave in Wairarapa. He has no personal axe to grind with Baz because he's never been in a cricket press box or fronted the guy. He's just chosen Brendon as his target, in the knowledge that modern-day media is increasingly dominated by berks like Reason, Mark Watson, Chris Rattue etc who write purely for reactional clickbait and to fire up talkback lines. When you add in sycophantic TV media, there's really nowhere to go for well considered and unbiased analysis anymore.

Except, dare I say, on here. Which is why I like it. Oh and some forms of radio.

Immenso

Usually it is just that, a crazy, click-bait, outrage inducing opinion though ... I think it's the deliberate misinterpretation of Hesson's quotes to aid his vendetta which seems wrong to me in this instance. It shows an sad lack of journalistic integrity, in my opinion.
But, Reason doesn't have journalistic integrity. Therefore it's not amazing, IMO.

Reason has been hired for a few years in this role.. Both the author and the editor know they are producing content under the category of opinion that isn't always the actual true opinion of the writer, I surmise. You and I don't actually know what Reason really thinks, we only know what he thinks will annoy the most people. Therefore his editor doesn't have journalistic integrity, if we're being harsh.

Therefore no arguments about the lack of journalistic integrity. Just arguments about being amazed by it being printed. They have form.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Caught bits of the last ODI - was initially surprised that Kaneh seemed to lack fluency, but considering what happened the rest of the match scoring a good chunk of runs at SR 70 or 80 was the order of the day. No extravagant swing or seam so I just assumed the pitch bounce was a little deceptive and two paced.

Answered my question about whether CDG or another hitter (or 2) gets back in though - a resounding yes, as that awful batting innings finish was reminiscent of some of our worst over the last couple of years.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Santner drops catch in the infield last match: Check
Santner hares across the outfield to almost create a run-out this match: Check

Exactly to type.
Also :laugh: at Santner achieving the double in the same match this time.
1.4 0
Boult to Azhar Ali, no run, dropped. Santner has had his share of misfields and dropped catches this series. Oh, dear, this is catching practice. Driven uppishly straight into his hands. This really should have been taken with his eyes closed
12.1 W
Munro to Babar Azam, 1 run, OUT, now all of a sudden Pakistan decide to come alive and that has resulted in a run out. A short of a length delivery that is punched to sweeper cover. They magically realise the need to get a move on and take on the fielder in the deep for a second run. And it's suicidal. Santner has run to his left, gathered it and fired a flat powerful throw at the keeper's end. Babar grounds his bat, it gets stuck in the turf and he is empty-handed by the time the bails are whipped off
Babar Azam run out 8 (43m 28b 1x4 0x6) SR: 28.57
Someone banish that man permanently to the outfield please! He is a genuinely good ground/out-fielder but bah god those hands are terrible.

Immenso

Answered my question about whether CDG or another hitter (or 2) gets back in though - a resounding yes, as that awful batting innings finish was reminiscent of some of our worst over the last couple of years.
They wouldn't play 2 spinners at pip-squeak Seddon Park anyway, I doubt.
Well, they might if they had a reliable 4th seamer as well, in the top 5, for insurance,

Athlai

Not Terrible
You know I was about to start talking about how nice it was to have an unchanged lineup because everyones playing well, then I remembered Todd Astle existed. Meh

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
After repeated criticism and requests on social media, looks like it has reached Sarf. He has finally changed his batting order. Today he will bat at 7