• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I blame this on the over-enthusiastic posts after we were 28/0. No one complained about those dumb **** posts, did they?

Spark

Global Moderator
Despite India's seam attack doing brilliantly in this match, this is what's lacking in their pedigree - they can't get a ball to rise like that. As a batting side, that's one thing you don't have tow worry about. Exact opposite for Indian batsmen. They always have to be wary of that ball.
bit weird to go after the bowling attack imo. to win this test india have to score 400 runs all up; if you can't do that then very few bowling attacks in history will save you.

Daemon

not really what you need from your #3 though. it's not like the middle order behind him is absolutely stacked.
He's just banking on it getting easier eventually I suppose. Morkel usually has a bad spell in his system somewhere, and he can back himself to pick off runs against Maharaj.

Woodster

International Captain
Pujara looked very good in the first innings, he looks the most likely to score big runs in this series for the Indians. more consistently so than the others. Although he didn't go on in that first innings, he looked calm, organised, patient and let the bowlers come to him, soon as they erred too straight he capitalised. I think personally he currently looks the least of their worries.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
People calling for India to go in ODI mode - in ODIs Rohit and Kohli don't have to deal with 4 slips and deliveries rising like that.

OverratedSanity

Despite India's seam attack doing brilliantly in this match, this is what's lacking in their pedigree - they can't get a ball to rise like that. As a batting side, that's one thing you don't have tow worry about. Exact opposite for Indian batsmen. They always have to be wary of that ball.
I dunno, I thought all 4 of our pacers got the ball to explode off the pitch too. SA's bowling is just way too good atm.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's just banking on it getting easier eventually I suppose. Morkel usually has a bad spell in his system somewhere, and he can back himself to pick off runs against Maharaj.
his game is really, really unsuited to trying to go after morkel though, who in theory is the bowler he struggles the most against (bc extra bounce). will give you maharaj though.

vcs

not really what you need from your #3 though. it's not like the middle order behind him is absolutely stacked.
We don't really have anyone else.

He'll find it tough going in these conditions but he scored 150 last time (though pitch was flatter then) and batted well in both Tests. Made 140+ on a very seam-friendly pitch against SL in 2015 as well. Admittedly their pace attack is nothing special. Also seem to remember he faced lots of balls in England without really playing a big knock. With his patience and temperament, at least you know he'll cash in when the occasional pitch is in his favour, which is more than can be said for the rest.

Spark

Global Moderator
People calling for India to go in ODI mode - in ODIs Rohit and Kohli don't have to deal with 4 slips and deliveries rising like that.
not odi mode, but some sort of counterattack to at least try and force the south african bowlers to do something different and put them under some pressure would be handy

Shri

Mr. Glass
Have always pictured Morkel with short hair until now. Looks good with this hairdo. Hope he tears it out today.

Spark

Global Moderator

He'll find it tough going in these conditions but he scored 150 last time (though pitch was flatter then) and batted well in both Tests. Made 140+ on a very seam-friendly pitch against SL in 2015 as well. Admittedly their pace attack is nothing special. Also seem to remember he faced lots of balls in England without really playing a big knock. With his patience and temperament, at least you know he'll cash in when the occasional pitch is in his favour, which is more than can be said for the rest.
no i agree, but it's a pattern for him: he will fight very hard, put a very high price on his wicket, but he just seems to really struggle to find scoring options and definitely plays at too many deliveries pitched short of a length. it's basically the only weakness in his game, but it's a recurring one.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok I know Steyn is out and not bowling... but SA have been using a 4 man attack since Kallis retired. Losing Steyn is bad because he is the best bowler, not because we don't have enough bowlers. Wish Haysman and company would stop going on about it.

Niall

International Coach

Have said it before his knock a few years ago in that Laxman test underrated, did not score much but they really needed someone to hang around and he did.

I understand the concern with Che, but what would the alternatives be? Last thing India need is another flaky stroke maker especially with Rohit in the side and Rahane carrying drinks.