• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Woodster

International Captain
Ok, the eve another Test and it’s high tine we had a bit of England positivity! This series is not gone, we are still in there and have shown a degree of fighting qualities to this point, but now we’re going to get ourselves over the line at the most unlikely ground!

This WACA pitch is not the hard, fast, bouncy track that has given many an England squad nightmares, but presumably there will be some decent bounce and carry in it, perfect for Alastair Cook to get back to scoring big. Him and Root to stand up big time in this Test and for us to produce some pressure with a first innings total on the board.

Bowling-wise, going to be all about discipline and patience, we’re about the keep this series alive!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I probably agree but is 5 and keeping too much?

Need to have a serious think as to whether he has gloves taken off him for NZ tour if the bats do nothing in rest of this series and get him up the order. Maybe Root needs to go 3 and Bairstow 4 long term?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they need to bat him there because he can go big and has looked decent thus far, and to put more space between Lyon and the middle order lefties. He’s been owning them all series. The longer he has to bowl to right handers the better for England. If Bairstow and Root blunt him it also makes the quicks bowl more overs, especially in Perth where Lyon is likely to get less turn than elsewhere.

Lyon likely being less effective on this surface is also a reason for picking MMarsh imo.

adub

International Captain
This has been dramatically disproven multiple times and you know it.
It's amazing that this actually needs to be stated.

If they had retained Marsh for 'Desh and he was only meh but not completely dire then fine, stick with the incumbent.

But they dropped his sorry arse because he was brought in to be the guy who could bat in the SC and he was mostly **** with touches of meh.

The guy who was the incumbent had tonned up plus made a couple more 30s and 40s in few tests he had, plus added a fifth bowling option, and was batting just slightly better by averages in the Shield before the 1st Test, and is 5 years younger than Marsh. Since Brisbane he's bossed the Shield with a 278 and 96, leads the run scorers @ 73.

Marsh will vindicate the selection when he has finished the series and been consistently good. And then goes to SA and makes a solid contribution there.

And even then it will only be a marginal call. The ****'s next run of utter **** isn't far off and everyone knows it. At 34 he's not long for the side no matter what he does. We could and should have used this series against a side we all knew didn't really have the bowling to beat us here to give Maxwell the chance to become a long term option for 5/6, get settled and play on some pitches that a really more suited to his game for a change and hopefully become a guy we can get a solid 5/6 years out of. There's no question the **** has the talent. He's a bit Smith like in his ability to hit good balls to parts of the ground no one else can, and Warneresq in his ability to kill a side in a session if he gets going. He's shown that he's learnt from past indiscretions and is taking the responsibility to bat 3 for his state now that Wade has ****ed off. Maxwell's not the saviour of Australian cricket by any means, but compared to the red carpet laid out for Marshes he's been treated like ****. He deserved and deserves at least as good a run to try and establish himself in the Test side as those two ****ers have had. I've little doubt he'd repay the faith far more than those two ever have.

adub

International Captain
I think they need to bat him there because he can go big and has looked decent thus far, and to put more space between Lyon and the middle order lefties. He’s been owning them all series. The longer he has to bowl to right handers the better for England. If Bairstow and Root blunt him it also makes the quicks bowl more overs, especially in Perth where Lyon is likely to get less turn than elsewhere.

Lyon likely being less effective on this surface is also a reason for picking MMarsh imo.
Poms are damned if they do, and damned if they don't with Bairstow. Realistically he's their best bat after Root atm. But maybe batting up the order would just bring him back to the sort of meh he's previously been at 4 or 5. He's definitely got a solid record at 6&7 and you wouldn't potentially weaken a strength unless you were really desperate. Missing Stokes is really killing the Poms in this regard as a Stokes/Bairstow/Ali 5/6/7 would make a massive difference to them.

Definitely needed to come up to reduce the run of lefties Lyon had to feast on though. I'd even go so far as to bring a Woakes or Overton above Ali if another lefty was at the other end. Having two left handers batting at the same time is just offering up a wicket on a plate to him.

Agree that of the squad picked Marsh is almost a must pick because of the fear of Lyon not being as effective (and Handscomb looking like a guy trying to get out LB), but damn the guy is in some serious form since India. I really do expect him to pick up at least 6 wickets even in Perth simply because he has so many left handers in dire form to bowl to. He'll bowl over spin and pick up the shoulder on both sides of the bat to get the close catchers interested and/or induce miss hits from anyone dumb enough to try and hit him out of the attack. Plus I just think he'd turn it on glass at the moment. He's in a real good place, and you have to admire the **** for it. I don't think anyone works harder at his game than Nafe.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'd almost be tempted to go for the Bairstow at 3 thing that has been suggested and hide the **** bats away in the middle. At least it means your five (Ali at five) is as formidable as ever.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't wait to see Haze make good on his promise to bowl fast and short like he always does

the big bambino

International Captain
This has been dramatically disproven multiple times and you know it.
But the sharp point being it has been contradicted at Adelaide where his innings set up a win to enable us to go 2 up to regaining the biggest prize in test cricket. That's atleast twice he's played defining innings in a day nighter at Adelaide and in hard conditions. The selectors most likely took that into account in their decision and its been completely vindicated.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But the sharp point being it has been contradicted at Adelaide where his innings set up a win to enable us to go 2 up to regaining the biggest prize in test cricket. That's atleast twice he's played defining innings in a day nighter at Adelaide and in hard conditions. The selectors most likely took that into account in their decision and its been completely vindicated.
Actually, I doubt they took a single 49 into specific account.

And just because he's been successful doesn't mean that the logic behind his selection does was not flawed. How hard is this for you and a couple of others to understand?

the big bambino

International Captain
Actually, I doubt they took a single 49 into specific account.

And just because he's been successful doesn't mean that the logic behind his selection does was not flawed. How hard is this for you and a couple of others to understand?
People can "understand" your view and yet still have the hide to disagree. That 49 won us the game. Therefore important knock and good evidence he can perform in the conditions given the scarce number of games played in them. So they may have taken the punt on his form at Adelaide just as they have done for others on even less evidence for the subcon. But now the selectors can crow twice. Their judgment has been vindicated and can now use 2 instances of evidence to pick him again.

Frankly I'm amazed that a man can ton up, win a MOM and people still criticise the selectors. It either shows cognitive dissonance or a slavish preference for a personal bias unhappy that its been proven wrong. Either way its probably best critics actually wait until Marsh fails before they say I told you so.

the big bambino

International Captain
Though Adelaide was to be their preferred venue I think England has a good enough attack at Perth with Overton's bounce, Anderson's swing and Broad's bounce and movement. Woakes is in good form too.