• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Days of Grace

International Captain
ATG NZ XI

Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe
Stephen Fleming
Brendon McCullum+
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Jack Cowie
Shane Bond

12th: John R Reid
That’s pretty much spot on except I’d pick Taylor over Fleming and Boult over Cowie.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
ATG NZ XI

Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe
Stephen Fleming
Brendon McCullum+
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Jack Cowie
Shane Bond

12th: John R Reid
Pretty spot on but I'd have Boult (I know he has had a short career) over Crowie and I'd like to have Taylor in there somewhere.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
My India All Time XI -

1. S. Gavaskar
2. V. Sehwag
3. R. Dravid
4. S. Tendulkar
5. VVS Laxman
6. MS Dhoni c/wk
7. S. Ganguly
8. K. Dev
9. H. Singh
10. Z. Khan
11. A. Kumble

12th man Javagal Srinath

My New Zealand All Time XI -

1. G. Turner
2. B. Sutcliffe
3. M. Crowe
4. K. Williamson
5. R. Taylor
6. S. Fleming c
7. B. McCullum wk
8. R. Hadlee
9. D. Vettori
10. T. Boult
11. S. Bond

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
India

Sunny Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Rahul Dravid
SachingTendulkar
Vijay Hazare
Farohk Engineer +
Kapil Dev
Ravi Ashwin
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Mohammad Nissar

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
That’s pretty much spot on except I’d pick Taylor over Fleming and Boult over Cowie.
Pretty spot on but I'd have Boult (I know he has had a short career) over Crowie and I'd like to have Taylor in there somewhere.
Yeah I thought long and hard about Ross the Boss, Astle too, but eventually settled on Flem for his leadership qualities.

And Boult was certainly high on my radar, along with Ewen Chatfield, however I opted for the much-vaunted but often overlooked Cowie in the end.

Red

Ashwin? Why? No Zaheer Khan?

odd selection
Why Ashwin? Takes almost 6 wickets per test, has a batting average of over 30. He's sixth on the list of most wickets taken per test (if my calculations are correct). And he's a good bowler.

No Zaheer because I just don't think he's that good.

Coronis

International Coach
Yeah I thought long and hard about Ross the Boss, Astle too, but eventually settled on Flem for his leadership qualities.

And Boult was certainly high on my radar, along with Ewen Chatfield, however I opted for the much-vaunted but often overlooked Cowie in the end.
Dunno why they're so high on Boult, Cowie was amazing 5 wickets per match at 21 and only got to play against England and Australia.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant

Fair enough.

I also included Fleming largely for his captaincy.

Why Ashwin? Takes almost 6 wickets per test, has a batting average of over 30. He's sixth on the list of most wickets taken per test (if my calculations are correct). And he's a good bowler.

No Zaheer because I just don't think he's that good.
Ashwin's away bowling average is much higher than his overall career average if you take away Bangladesh, its 7 runs higher even if you include Bangladesh. The isgn of a player who makes an all time eleven should be that he is somewhere close to his best away from home. Ashwin is a perfect example oh a home bully. He doesnt get much turn or anything away, having seen him in Eng and Aus. For a country with limited bowling resources, they do have better bowlers to pick from.

Also, weird to pick a man with 6 tests over Zaheer Khan with a full career.

Alas, that is the nature of all time lists.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Sri Lanka All Time XI

1. S. Jayasuriya
2. M. Attapattu
3. K. Sangakkara wk
4. M. Jayawardene c
5. A. de Silva
6. A. Ranatunga
7. A. Mathews
8. C. Vaas
9. M. Muralitharan
10. L. Malinga
11. D. Fernando

12th man would be Thilan Saaraweera.

Himannv

International Coach
Sri Lanka All Time XI

1. S. Jayasuriya
2. M. Attapattu
3. K. Sangakkara wk
4. M. Jayawardene c
5. A. de Silva
6. A. Ranatunga
7. A. Mathews
8. C. Vaas
9. M. Muralitharan
10. L. Malinga
11. D. Fernando

No Herath?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka All Time XI

1. S. Jayasuriya
2. M. Attapattu
3. K. Sangakkara wk
4. M. Jayawardene c
5. A. de Silva
6. A. Ranatunga
7. A. Mathews
8. C. Vaas
9. M. Muralitharan
10. L. Malinga
11. D. Fernando

Really loving this team. My top 10 would be the same actually, but would sub in Herath for Fernando (SL decks, remember).

On the other hand, Nuwan Zoysa & Somachandra de Silva are both decent shouts. They probably don't deserve a place in the first XI, but both of those guys would make my all-time SL extended squad.

Himannv

International Coach
I'd probably take the gloves away from Sanga and also have Dilshan sneak in ahead of Marvan. Arjuna doesn't bat well enough to justify shackling Sanga. So, something like this:

01. Jayasuriya
02. Dilshan
03. Sangakkara
04. de Silva
05. Jayawardene (c)
06. Mathews
07. P. Jayawardene+
08. Vaas
09. Herath
10. Murali
11. Malinga

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Really loving this team. My top 10 would be the same actually, but would sub in Herath for Fernando (SL decks, remember).

On the other hand, Nuwan Zoysa & Somachandra de Silva are both decent shouts. They probably don't deserve a place in the first XI, but both of those guys would make my all-time SL extended squad.
I have to change my own team haha

I thought I had already put Herath in there, which is why I picked Mathews because he can pitch in with the ball a little bit.

So:

1. S. Jayasuriya
2. M. Attapattu
3. K. Sangakkara wk
4. M. Jayawardene c
5. A. de Silva
6. A. Ranatunga
7. A. Mathews
8. C. Vaas
9. M. Muralitharan
10. L. Malinga
11. R. Herath

Red

Ashwin's away bowling average is much higher than his overall career average if you take away Bangladesh, its 7 runs higher even if you include Bangladesh. The isgn of a player who makes an all time eleven should be that he is somewhere close to his best away from home. Ashwin is a perfect example oh a home bully. He doesnt get much turn or anything away, having seen him in Eng and Aus. For a country with limited bowling resources, they do have better bowlers to pick from.
You say all this, yet in your post above you picked Harbhajan as your spinner. Both Harbhajan and Ashwin struggled in Australia, but Harbhajan was worse here. Harbhajan has a worse record in England than Ashwin, as well as a worse record in SL, India and the WIs.

So if you're gonna criticise my selection of Ashwin based on his away record, at least choose guys in your team who have better away records than Ashwin. Surely.

Also, weird to pick a man with 6 tests over Zaheer Khan with a full career.
Nissar was India's fastest bowler ever, as well as having immense skill, and complements Kapil and Srinath better than anyone else I can think of. I have no qualms with Zaheer as the third quick either, really.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to change my own team haha

I thought I had already put Herath in there, which is why I picked Mathews because he can pitch in with the ball a little bit.

So:

1. S. Jayasuriya
2. M. Attapattu
3. K. Sangakkara wk
4. M. Jayawardene c
5. A. de Silva
6. A. Ranatunga
7. A. Mathews
8. C. Vaas
9. M. Muralitharan
10. L. Malinga
11. R. Herath
That's a really good team. I wonder if it would beat an Indian AT team. Having the most prolific bowler of all time and Herath + Vaas is pretty amazing.