• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

SeamUp

International Coach
Was checking the icc wcl championship table after 10 games.

Netherlands 16
PNG 14
Scotland 13
Hong Kong 11
Kenya 10
Nepal 8
Namibia 4
UAE 4

Namibia host UAE later this week.

Canada & Oman topped division 3 & are waiting for the bottom 4 here.

cnerd123

likes this
We defeated Namibia in a nailbiter.Thank God Chirag Suri finally made his debut
I hear from those involved in the UAE cricket community (ie playing in the leagues) that apparently Chirag Suri isn't worth all the hype and probably got the IPL contract through connections.

Hope he's actually someone exciting though. It's great when Associate cricketers break through and become mainstream.

Speaking of which:

#hype

The HK vs Nepal games will be streamed on Youtube and each have reserve days ready in case of rain. But apparently they aren't ********* the 4 day game, which sucks because clearly thats the game more people would want to watch - soon to be Test nation Afghanistan taking on the powerhouse that is Hong Kong

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha no regard for their sponsor "Regal Hotels"

Not always a good idea to use transparent logos.

Firebreaker

Banned
I hear from those involved in the UAE cricket community (ie playing in the leagues) that apparently Chirag Suri isn't worth all the hype and probably got the IPL contract through connections.

Hope he's actually someone exciting though. It's great when Associate cricketers break through and become mainstream.

Speaking of which:

#hype

The HK vs Nepal games will be streamed on Youtube and each have reserve days ready in case of rain. But apparently they aren't ********* the 4 day game, which sucks because clearly thats the game more people would want to watch - soon to be Test nation Afghanistan taking on the powerhouse that is Hong Kong
All of them are jealous people and some of them are cause he got picked and not their friends.I have played Chirag.He might not be that good for internationals but is decent for LOIs

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's because too many expat boys (Indias/Pakistanis/Brits/Aussies) learn the game at home from their families/communities before they enter into grass-roots cricket programmes. So they are already a step ahead of the more local boys from non-cricketing backgrounds. This leads to them getting picked for the teams over the local boys, and advancing through the levels instead. And ofcourse, if a young kid joins a sport and realises that from day 1 they are already worse than all these other kids, they're probably going to quit.

With the girls programmes, the daughters of expats are usually on the same footing as the local girls. They may have more knowledge of the game, but patriarchal cultures means they usually aren't coming into these programmes having already played cricket before. Plus, in terms of numbers there are just so much fewer girls, so that you can't just start building girls teams only with girls who already know the sport. This creates more opportunities for the local girls to get into the system.

I also think it has something to do with parents in these Asian countries being more willing to let their daughters go off and play some weird foreign sport as a hobby/career vs. letting their sons do that. The sons need to get good grades and earn money. I've also noticed (purely anecdotal) that boys from expat backgrounds get encourage to simply 'play' more at a young young age, making them have an athletic advantage over local boys who are just studying from the day to enter school. The girls are on a more equal footing in that regard too.

Last edited:

Daemon

Yeah the main reason for lack of diversity is, like you've mentioned, the expat kids having a headstart simply by knowing the rules and roughly how to play the game, along with a cultural interest in the sport. So that means teams are already 90% Indian/Pakistani by default.

In Singapore at least, there's then a stigma attached to the sport, where the Chinese kids are like "wtf I'm not going to try cricket, it's an Indian sport". I've heard that so, so often while growing up. Kids can be pretty racist.

vcs

Which is the popular sport among Chinese origin kids?

Don't say Maths