• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wood absolutely must tour Australia too. Is the only bowler in England who could make the Aussie hop at home.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
For Australia - you can see the selectors looking for a real strike option with pace outside those 4. Whether it is Woods is another story.
That is the only reason Wood has played as many tests as he has, I think.

'You were the chosen one! You were supposed to bring balance to the attack!'

91Jmay

International Coach
I can see them going for Overton and Wood in what will be a shambles of a tour. Could make the last one look good in comparison.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'll just have to agree to disagree with you all. Highest successful run chase at Oval 263/9 (Ashes 1902); England's lead here 492. Madness in my opinion.
FMD how can you not realise that stat means nothing to this situation? Dead set clueless.

flibbertyjibber

Wood absolutely must tour Australia too. Is the only bowler in England who could make the Aussie hop at home.
Not if he can't bowl at full pace any more. Guess he will get a chance later in the summer but the injuries look to have caught up with him at present.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When we won in Australia, Anderson had the most wickets and Bresnan had the best average. More than one way to skin an Australian.

Top_Cat

Ja but Smith, Warner and Lyon are the only original members from that tour. I like Wood vs Smith at somewhere like The 'Gabba too.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The difference for the SA batting lineup if SA could find a decent opening partner for Elgar will be huge.

Edit: Now that Duminy is gone.

91Jmay

International Coach
Pitch looks pretty docile now, SA will be kicking themselves for yesterday's clatter of wickets. Perhaps some pace from Stokes after lunch.

flibbertyjibber

Good time to get a wicket. New ball available around drinks if we haven't got the job done already. Perfect morning really getting 3 wickets and Elgar getting his ton.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well I'll just have to agree to disagree with you all. Highest successful run chase at Oval 263/9 (Ashes 1902); England's lead here 492. Madness in my opinion.
To be fair to Root, he probably forgot that Wood wasn't playing which is why he felt he needed the extra 100 runs insurance.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
You left out SA 182/6 with 78 overs remaining in your little equation.
That was subsequent to the declaration and thus is irrelevant and pertaining to hindsight. The wicket has obviously flattened a great deal and SA have batted well; even if it is a worst case scenario, the wicket suddenly becoming a road, an England bowler breaking down, and the others bowling rubbish, it is still difficult to see them requiring anywhere near the 492 runs (overs withstanding)!

Last edited: