• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When cricket was played by men : https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/04/england-south-africa-1998-the-spin

Don't know how we lost this series. There were some outrageous umpiring decisions but what drama.
Man that got me in the mood.... (for some test cricket!).

“This is an impatient age, weaned on instant entertainment,” wrote our own David Hopps, who must love the world now if he felt like that in 1998, “but England won a Test series because a man toiled for more than seven hours for 94.”
What a wonderful sentence.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Guardian's nostalgic cricket articles from the '90s are really good. Used to have some good contributors in the comments section as well, though I don't look at them anymore. Used to love reading Mike Selvey's articles.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
When cricket was played by men : https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/04/england-south-africa-1998-the-spin

Don't know how we lost this series. There were some outrageous umpiring decisions but what drama.
oh man.

when gough trapped ntini lbw to secure the series (going down leg), i have never celebrated a cricket result as hard. as an impressionable 11 year old, i had never seen england win a major series. that whole morning was wracked with tension.

gough, fraser and cork were magnificent that series.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Consensus seems to be that Dawson will be playing then *shrugs*
Absolutely horrible thinking. Why are we playing 6 bowlers. If it's fitness worries you pick bowlers who are fit not cram another one in.

Dawson offers nothing over Moeen. It's a completely pointless selection that should have gone to another batsman. We need to blood an extra batsman or two especially when Ballance gets found out again. I have no idea what the hell they are thinking!

6 Batsman 1 Allrounder 4 Bowlers. Stop messing around and pick a proper team.

Idiots.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is the moment of truth for Amla's test career. If he was 2 years older, it wouldn't even be a conversation by now, "is this the end of Amla" would be the headline narrative. But he is 34, and people have come back from poor slumps at this age and it is possible Amla will too. This is where England come into play - he has always scored truckload of runs in England and loves batting here. If he is to come good for one last burst with everything he's got, this should be the place.

I want him to succeed but 2 hundreds in the last 2+ years is a worry. He hasn't looked as awful as his stats are but often that can be deceiving.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I think this is the moment of truth for Amla's test career. If he was 2 years older, it wouldn't even be a conversation by now, "is this the end of Amla" would be the headline narrative. But he is 34, and people have come back from poor slumps at this age and it is possible Amla will too. This is where England come into play - he has always scored truckload of runs in England and loves batting here. If he is to come good for one last burst with everything he's got, this should be the place.

I want him to succeed but 2 hundreds in the last 2+ years is a worry. He hasn't looked as awful as his stats are but often that can be deceiving.
He has a great chance to go big at Lords. We have undercooked bowlers and the pitch will almost certainly be a belter.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Dawson playing, no TRJ. Ballance at 3.

That bowling attack could go seriously wrong. Wood and Stokes have barely bowled 20 overs in a day for a long time. Broad and Anderson are injured every second game. Not one of them I'd trust right now. Dawson and Ali likely cannon fodder once the fast bowlers go down injured.

Least if they'd picked TRJ they'd have one guy who can run in and bowl 20 overs a day without any great concern. Can see COverton and TRJ debuting second test after a load go down injured first test.

Still, SA have plenty of issues of their own.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got a new job after years as a house husband and will miss the first 2 days. Think it is the first test since 2003 where I won't watch the opening session. Bit gutted but planning to go to Manchester test later in the summer so that makes up for it.

Bijed

International Regular
Test series predictions

Score: 2-1 to South Africa
Most runs: Dean Elgar
Most wickets: Mark Wood
Surprise performance: Ballance to silence the haters once and for all
Disappointment: Root will struggle and his captaincy will not set the world on fire

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Test series predictions

Score: 2-1 to South Africa
Most runs: Dean Elgar
Most wickets: Mark Wood
Surprise performance: Ballance to silence the haters once and for all
Disappointment: Root will struggle and his captaincy will not set the world on fire
This test series may come down to the first session. If England get on top and end their Lord's voodoo they'll win the series comfortably. If not 2 1 South Africa. On paper not much between the sides.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I always get this at the beginning of the test season after a major gap. I start counting days to the first test and then when it's just about there, I just cant wait anymore. Start the ****ing test
Rabada vs Root on Day 1.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Dawson playing, no TRJ. Ballance at 3.

That bowling attack could go seriously wrong. Wood and Stokes have barely bowled 20 overs in a day for a long time. Broad and Anderson are injured every second game. Not one of them I'd trust right now. Dawson and Ali likely cannon fodder once the fast bowlers go down injured.

Least if they'd picked TRJ they'd have one guy who can run in and bowl 20 overs a day without any great concern. Can see COverton and TRJ debuting second test after a load go down injured first test.

Still, SA have plenty of issues of their own.
The bowlers are either fit or not. If not they shouldn't be selected.

Woodster

International Captain
It's an underwhelming team selection for me, England. Gary Ballance gets another chance to prove he can cut it at this level and with his Championship form it's difficult to disagree with the selection, if he does get runs it won't the most attractive but Root won't worry about that in his Test as captain. I can't understand the Liam Dawson selection, it's a bits and pieces selection reminiscent of the 90's, thought Root may be a tad more exciting in his options. Thought Mark Stoneman was unlucky to miss out but I am keen to see more of Keaton Jennings.