• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast as well as Spin Bowler.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It never ceases to amaze me how good Warne is when he talks purely about spin bowling compared with how bad he is in general commentary. I know it's a niche area of the game and of commentary, but fmd when he explains leg spinning it's about as compelling as analysis gets. Then he does general comms and he talks about pizza toppings, and it's flat out dire.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Terrible from ***** here. Even when TOTAB played his league cricket in England he decided to imitate Thommo and bowl pace. Only when age and the years caught up with him did he revert to finger spin and become the leading left arm spinner of the 1980s.
for a couple of days

Starfighter

In fairness, I think cricket has forgotten Sandhu (or is the other way round?) over the past year or two.

Agar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
And you manage to ignore that the post I was responding to specifically mentioned his religion. Well done you.

If you begin bowling fast and revert to bowling spin, there can only be two reasons:

1. Injury.
2. You've become a vegetarian and therefore lost the ability to bowl fast.

Why else would anyone choose to bowl spin when they could bowl fast? It makes no sense #Australianselectorthoughts
It could also be because they're bad or inherently unsuited to fast bowling. Sachin Tendulkar auditioned as a fast bowler at the MRF pace academy under Dennis Lillee. The reason he did not end up with a fast bowling career was neither injury nor diet.

mr_mister

I also remember reading an article that Bracken was planning to move to off breaks during the twilight of his career and was apparently ripping them through in the nets but I'm not sure if he used them in a game

Bahseph

International Debutant
Gunaratne from Sri Lanka. Not sure how to classify it but it's a mixture of slow mediums and offies.

Camo999

State 12th Man
I only recall seeing them bowl spin but I believe Shane Thomson of NZ and Geoff Foley of Qld bowled pace originally. Possibly Michael Bevan too.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Bevan was apparently pretty quick when he was young but his back went and he basically concentrated on batting.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Bob Appleyard bowled pace and off-spin, at least for Yorkshire.

Then there are bowlers like Noble, Barnes, Wright and Underwood who bowled fastish spin.