• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

91Jmay

International Coach
Willey just bowling throw downs. Some great striking by Mosehle, difference between him facing Plunkett/Curran and facing Willey is night/day.

Bijed

International Regular
Tom Curran's bowling figures from his first two international T20s are 3/33 and 2/22. Looking forward to his 1/11 in the next match and his impressive 4 consecutive maidens in the one after that.

91Jmay

International Coach
Was a glorified A series but we found a few prospects. South Africa will be happy with it though in terms of developing talent you'd think still. Paterson, Lucky and to a degree Moshele (although against decent bowling he looked a bit lost) showed some promise

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
What is Phehlukwayo doing in that test squad?Do feel Cook may have been a little hard done by dropped from the squad completely but that's life I guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tom Curran's bowling figures from his first two international T20s are 3/33 and 2/22. Looking forward to his 1/11 in the next match and his impressive 4 consecutive maidens in the one after that.
Perhaps in the fourth one, England will bat first and the match will be rained off completely some time in the first innings.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phelukwayo is not a better red ball bowler then Parnell.Cant have that at all
Parnell has been given his opportunity and squandered it.... time for fresh blood. Phelukwayo is being chosen as a black 20 year old with lots of potential and will be getting every chance to improve his skills and make it at top level. He is unlikely to play in front of Morris as an allrounder. And Olivier will be the chosen 4th seamer. So it is purely about experience at this stage, and I would rather have him than Parnells long wide hops in the squad.

SeamUp

International Coach
Phelukwayo is not a better red ball bowler then Parnell.Cant have that at all
Parnell has been given his opportunity and squandered it.... time for fresh blood. Phelukwayo is being chosen as a black 20 year old with lots of potential and will be getting every chance to improve his skills and make it at top level. He is unlikely to play in front of Morris as an allrounder. And Olivier will be the chosen 4th seamer. So it is purely about experience at this stage, and I would rather have him than Parnells long wide hops in the squad.
Was listening to Ashwell Prince in studio. Said this kid is the real deal. A real team player who stands up when chips are down. He will not play bar warm-up/county games and at 20 it is just about experience. But I think squad dynamics also important. Prince was saying what a young man at 20 after spending some time with him on tour for the 'A' side.

Wayne Parnell unfortunately is someone who lacks a bit upstairs and possibly lacks heart to fight and want to improve or maybe improving.

Phehlukwayo is someone improving every day. Whether I would have kept him here or played 'A' series is debatable. But there certainly is a bit to work with.

Parnell's wide long hops :D Hopefully the very last of him.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Phehlukwayo is someone improving every day. Whether I would have kept him here or played 'A' series is debatable. But there certainly is a bit to work with.
I agree. There's no doubt that he's being fast tracked because of his skin colour, but I don't think it's a ridiculous fast track given the promise he's shown with things like the final over in the second T20 or the run chases he was involved in against Australia and New Zealand. He's definitely not the finished article, and I'm not sure whether he might be better suited for the shorter formats, but even with that I'd still rather have him there than Parnell.

Marius

International Debutant
OK squad, feel for Cook, and think he's got a rougher deal than someone like Duminy.

Glad Kuhn and Markram are in. I like Phehlukwayo but not sure he's a red ball cricketer, has to do some more in the franchise 4-day stuff and SA A before I'm sold.

So, if Faf doesn't make it to Lord's, Elgar will skip I assume?

And Kuhn most likely to open with De Bruyn playing too?

So, team for the first Test is probably:

Elgar
Kuhn
Amla
Duminy
De Bruyn
Bavuma
QDK
Vern
KG
Maharaj
Morkel

Dendarii

International Debutant
OK squad, feel for Cook, and think he's got a rougher deal than someone like Duminy.
It does make the decision to give Cook a national contract look rather foolish as he's probably not going to get back into the team since he's now not even the backup opener.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It does make the decision to give Cook a national contract look rather foolish as he's probably not going to get back into the team since he's now not even the backup opener.
When I read this I thought "eh, contracts should be up again soon and he was in the team when he had one", but no, apparently they gave him a new one in March.. so you're right. To be fair though it would have seemed really weird at the time for them to give out 21 contracts but the guy opening the batting for them in Tests at the time to not get one.

EDIT: On even closer inspection they haven't actually played a Test since the contract announcement, so you're even extra right.

Last edited: