• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange that AB decided not to save that one extra Morris over for right at the death. I suppose it worked out but I don't really rate Phehlukwayo as a death bowler.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Strange that AB decided not to save that one extra Morris over for right at the death. I suppose it worked out but I don't really rate Phehlukwayo as a death bowler.
Has done the job repeatedly in domestic cricket. So there was at least some reasoning behind it.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Good to get a win. That was really needed for this team. Lucky, Morris and Paterson were good. Morkel disappointing.

Batsman all who got in gave it away.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a pretty simple concept so I'm not surprised Stokes hasn't understood it. Don't make a beeline to get in the way of the ball on a run out attempt. There's a grey area when you can kind of edge over a little bit without being too obvious, then there's the area several miles away from that where Roy ran off to on the way to making his ground. Muppet.

I expect a few more dummies will fall foul of it before it permeates through.

It reminds me of goaltending violations in basketball.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I only saw the brief clip of the incident but he wasn't even looking at the ball. Surely it is an incident of non-intent?

S.Kennedy

Nothing like giving a dude who can't even average 35 and possibly another dude who can barely average 37 your opening role.
They are two players who've dramatically improved though so their averages are weighed down by their less than impressive earlier seasons. They are also two players who have scored the majority of their runs on the traditional seamers' paradise that is Chester-Le. I would also mention Stoneman's high strike rate which offsets some of his lower season-by-season averages.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I only saw the brief clip of the incident but he wasn't even looking at the ball. Surely it is an incident of non-intent?
He looked at where the fielder was and purposefully ran at an unnecessary angle across the stumps to get back. He knew where the ball would be coming from, under the law as it's understood it's pretty clearly out.

Bijed

International Regular
I have no issue with the decision, but it could be argued that he ran at the angle he did because he just ran as soon as he thought he'd turned around enough to get back to the other end and since he wasn't looking where he was going he ended up veering off course.

OverratedSanity

He clearly looked at the ball while it was being thrown, veered off course to the other side of the pitch and visibly braced himself for impact knowing the ball was going to hit him. Don't think it gets much more clear cut than this.

But...While I know this rule is in there to prevent those ridiculous situations where players would pretty much throw themselves between the stumps and the fielder, it's always a murky dismissal because concretely establishing intent is pretty much impossible. It's introduced a grey area which wasn't there before.

Last edited:

Daemon

I'm not sure those who claim he wasn't looking at the ball. I've just had a look at the footage again, and he's clearly looking at the ball as he crosses the entire pitch and only turns back once he's on the other side and is running back down the wicket. Hard to explain but go watch the replay again.

https://www.facebook.com/englandcricket/videos/10154423124880194/

About 50 seconds into the video is a good angle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just saw the dismissal. Its the very definition of what Obstructing the field is in its present definition. OS is right that you cannot really establish intent all the time based on TV footage and I think that is why the current law states that there should visible evidence of the batsman changing his natural line to get himself between the ball and the stumps, that is exactly what Roy did. Ergo, you are out, son.

S.Kennedy

I watched it again and nope, I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt there. He had turned and was completely oblivious to the ball at the point of impact. Now Inzy walking backwards and defending a stumping - that is the definition of obstruction.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Groundsman trolling England by preparing a green wicket, after Morgan complained about the used, dry semi final wicket.

theegyptian

England trolling the fans by picking 6 batsmen, plunkett at 7. In those 6 bats Livingstone, malan and billings(who has barely batted in the last couple of months). No overton, even though morgan promised everybody would get a game.

ajdude

International Coach
trying to think who Malan reminds me of...on the short ball he semi-reminds me of Hussey. the off-stump stance gives me doubts though