• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist is far more certain in an ATG test XI than in ODI XI, so I would move him to test XI. It will also mean that ODI XI does not have a weird looking batting order when they play tests.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
They may not be great bowlers overall but Smith did do very well in India vs India. Also, I seem to recall Smith also doing well vs a borderline great RSA attack in 2014 ( Steyn, Morkel, Philander) in RSA.

I've been guilty of this myself but underestimating this current generation of batsmen but Smith really is a different animal. Besides Tendulkar and a peak Ponting, I can't think of many great batsmen of the recent past who'd have the conversion rate, adaptability and high average that Smith does after a decent number of tests.
heh, steyn, philander and morkel is a bona fide atg pace attack. no borderline about it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The discussion around Dhoni+Jayasuriya Vs Gilchrist+Bevan in the other thread gave me this idea for an AT ODI XI... I dont think it should be set in stone that only these combinations of these 4 should feature in the XI.. I would love to have both Bevan and Dhoni in my AT ODI XI because irrespective of the perceived flaws in their records they are still two of the greatest batsmen to have ever played ODI cricket. I will go:

Sachin
Lara
Sir Viv (c)
AB
Bevan
Dhoni (wk)
Flintoff
Wasim
Warne
Ambrose
Murali

12th man - Shoaib Akhtar

The top 3 are 3 of the greatest batsmen of all time, irrespective of formats, so I back them to get my side through to 20 to 30 overs at least with a good SR in just about all conditions. And then the middle order can start doing their thing as we have 3 of the greatest ODI batsmen ever coming in. Flintoff over Imran because I want mrore hitting ability and a 3rd seamer than a new ball bowler. Wasim and Ambrose, no explanations needed there. And Warne and Murali, the two best spinners I have seen. You can bring in Akhtar for Murali in seam friendly conditions and Akhtar will add another dimension to the attack with his extreme pace.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As in the other thread:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Kohli
Richards
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. see this is where it can go wrong. With that kind of top 4, you will be better served by a Dhoni type player than one more of Ponting/Kohli at 5.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, I meant Bevan/Hussey/Dhoni coz it is certainly feasible Kohli can do what these guys do at 5, as with most players who bat all the time in the top order, they may just find it difficult when they have to come in and get going immediately without being able to get in a little bit.