• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I think we're getting back to the stage where it's pretty hard to separate the top 3-4 sides again.

I was waxing lyrical about India prior to the Aust series, since although they'd been ordinary on the road, to me they looked so invincible at home, that gave them the edge overall. They did well to win that Aust series 2-1 in the end, but having watched a large portion of it, it could quite easily been a draw/or even an Aust series win. They just didn't look as dominant as they had done. If I was forced to pick a no.1 side, it would still probably be India, but I get the feeling Australia/SA are not going to be far away.
With Kohli and Ashwin barely performing up to the required standard.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don't buy this anymore. They could have easily lost that series, and they did lose a Test, which makes them far from unbeatable, especially 'literally' so.
Having a genuine pace bowler seems to bother them slightly at home so only Aus and SA can compete in India. But that's not highly relevant because recent results make India number one anyway.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Kohli and Ashwin barely performing up to the required standard.
Meh, happens to all teams & at least they were playing (except Kohli in the last). SA have been without AB & Steyn for 6 months, NZ Boult & Taylor recently, & Australia themselves, Starc and invariably one of their top 4-5 fast bowlers are always injured. That's all part of the deal.

Zinzan

Having a genuine pace bowler seems to bother them slightly at home so only Aus and SA can compete in India. But that's not highly relevant because recent results make India number one anyway.
NZ & England will have learned from Australia's approach of getting decent preparation on SC decks per-tour & will be much better for it next time around. It's a template that all non-SC sides should adopt moving forward (if at all possible).

But that's not highly relevant because recent results make India number one anyway.
Huh, where did that come from? I said India were still number 1. What's relevant is they suddenly don't look 'literally unbeatable', as Slifer suggested.

Keep up with the convo.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Results are the only thing that matters. India didn't look invincible bit no one has been good enough to do more than win a single test against them at home for the last couple of years. No other team can claim that. They are clearly #1 based on results. Sure, SA and Aus may beat them at home but that's a possibility, not results. Judging only on results India are clearly #1 right now.

I really can't see how anyone could say differently.

Shri

Mr. Glass
NZ & England will have learned from Australia's approach of getting decent preparation on SC decks per-tour & will be much better for it next time around. It's a template that all non-SC sides should adopt moving forward (if at all possible).

Huh, where did that come from? I said India were still number 1. What's relevant is they suddenly don't look 'literally unbeatable', as Slifer suggested.

Keep up with the convo.
Okay, let me. They have lost four tests at home this decade. Pretty ****ing unbeatable, don't you think? And yes, the others would have a chance if they prepare well but lets be realistic. Nz last won a test match here in 1988 and has only won 2 tests here ever, with the other win coming in 1969.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Okay, let me. They have lost four tests at home this decade. Pretty ****ing unbeatable, don't you think? And yes, the others would have a chance if they prepare well but lets be realistic. Nz last won a test match here in 1988 and has only won 2 tests here ever, with the other win coming in 1969.
I'm commenting on the series just been & from what I watched or it, not 1969.

It struck me around the time of the 3rd Test, that these guys are actually quite beatable with the right preparation and game plan. What does that have to do with 20 years ago or the fact they're still number 1?

Lots of straw-manning going on.

Slifer

International Captain
Think we're going around in circles here but surely most here agree India are number1. Obviously, teams like Australia and RSA are in the mix but based on recent results India are number one.

TheJediBrah

India are rightfully number one. Australia may have kept up for a test and a half but they still lost. Australia has now lost 3 of their last 4 series and their batting is incredibly fragile away. India is literally unbeatable at home; same can't be said for any other team. So as of right now, not the future or 2 years ago India are rightfully #1
Do you think India would be as competitive in Australia or South Africa? or England? Even on normal non-Asian wickets I doubt they'd be anywhere near as competitive let alone in a series with wickets prepared specifically to suit the home team.

India are so reliant on favourable conditions, that at a time when they've literally played like their last 4 series at home, you can't definitively say they are number 1.

And then we can argue all day about the difference between "number 1 ranked team", which they may deserve based purely on results, and "currently the best team", which is a completely different thing.

vcs

After the way Australia kept up with them in completely foreign conditions?

**** no. Don't know who it is but it certainly isn't India. Wait until they win a series outside of Asia, or at least are competitive.
LOL there are only 10 teams in all, 3 or 4 of which have any case for No. 1, and you think that India (who are as far ahead of the next best team as they are ahead of the 6th ranked team according to the official rankings) are certainly not the No. 1.

Do get off that fence and tell us who you think it is.

vcs

Do you think India would be as competitive in Australia or South Africa? or England? Even on normal non-Asian wickets I doubt they'd be anywhere near as competitive let alone in a series with wickets prepared specifically to suit the home team.

India are so reliant on favourable conditions, that at a time when they've literally played like their last 4 series at home, you can't definitively say they are number 1.

And then we can argue all day about the difference between "number 1 ranked team", which they may deserve based purely on results, and "currently the best team", which is a completely different thing.
They are the best team. It's not 4-5 points, it's a big difference. Don't confuse the current best team with an all-round dominant team, which they aren't.

And BTW, they have been plenty competitive in SA on recent trips, no less than what Australia were here. I see you aren't talking about Australia winning 3/4 tosses, which you doubtless would have brought up had it been the other way round.

Slifer

International Captain

Last time India was in RSA and NZ they were very competitive. They got well and truly beaten in Australia and England. They won in WI and SL. With the exception of Australia all other teams were smashed in India. And people keep saying Aus could've won or drawn, fact is they didn't and if the third test had been played out to it's logical conclusion it would've been 3-1.

I don't know how far back the rankings go but currently India are number one and deservedly so . RSA IMO would be next then the rest (all based on recent results)

TheJediBrah

LOL there are only 10 teams in all, 3 or 4 of which have any case for No. 1, and you think that India (who are as far ahead of the next best team as they are ahead of the 6th ranked team according to the official rankings) are certainly not the No. 1.

Do get off that fence and tell us who you think it is.
There is clearly no best team, and I don't think there has been for almost a decade tbh. It's tempting to say India but they've done **** all away from home and played a huge amount of their recent cricket in helpful conditions. That alone clouds it far too much as far as they're concerned. Those are just simple facts.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, people let those terrible 3 tests in England colour their overall opinion of India's overseas tours in 2013-14. If not for ridiculous innings from Faf/AB and McCullum/Watling, India come away from those tours with two creditable 1-1 draws. They were extremely close fought series. And the team has clearly improved a lot since then so I hope they go better this time and win some tests and not merely compete.

vcs

So reliant that they imploded by 300+ runs when asked to bat last on a dustbowl and won convincingly bowling first on a wicket with pace and bounce.

vcs

Yeah, people let those terrible 3 tests in England colour their overall opinion of India's overseas tours in 2013-14. If not for ridiculous innings from Faf/AB and McCullum/Watling, India come away from those tours with two creditable 1-1 draws. They were extremely close fought series. And the team has clearly improved a lot since then so I hope they go better this time and win some tests and not merely compete.
Also were very competitive in Australia.

Oh but it doesn't count because it was on roads. Like they have in India, except when Ashwin/Jadeja bowl on them. :D

TheJediBrah

So reliant that they imploded by 300+ runs when asked to bat last on a dustbowl and won convincingly bowling first on a wicket with pace and bounce.
You say "a wicket with pace and bounce" as if it somehow definitively means they are foreign conditions. It was still an Indian wicket that turned. Just because it had more pace and bounce than the rest of the wickets in the series means nothing.

You're really grasping at straws. I don't fault you for trying to convince yourself but some of you guys are clearly being blinded by patriotism.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the main reason. Batting is stronger now. By that I mean in terms of players standing up. All of Vijay, Rahul, Pujara, Kohli, and Rahane are now leaders in their own rights when it comes to shepherding the batting. That's huge. Umesh's improvement has been badass. Jadeja has become better with the ball. Saha is becoming more useful. Apart from the sixth batsman, it's all going in the right direction.