• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Shri

Mr. Glass
It's not going to happen on these pitches. He's a perfectly honed machine for playing on Australian pitches, and most other decent pitches tbh. He won't do **** on these dustbowls, all of which you could say about most Australian batsmen. That's the whole reason these wickets are being prepared as they are.

As far as what you could do about it, I don't know. You can't drop half your team because they don't know how to play on doctored pitches, but unless some sense and decency comes into the Indian curators I wouldn't expect to see any Warner centurys
Oh piss off. Aus has won just five tests in India over the last twenty years and a laughable one test over the last ten years. Before you retort with India's record over in Aus, remember that we are not making any claims of being able to win over there, unlike you. Your team will still lose on normal Indian pitches.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can you even compare? The challenges faced by Root and Smith have been completely different IMO.
Smith's had it tougher for sure, just making the point Smith and Root will likely emerge as the two best to cope once the series is complete.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Just my observations watching the match and following ESPN commentary were that in both of Kohli's brief innings there were no appeals, just a half shout once and nothing even remotely looking like a possible DRS review. I think his claims that the Australians were doing that whilst he was batting is a blatant lie and surely deserves to be investigated. Handscomb' s explanation of what happened sounds more plausible than Kohli's fabrication.

Spark

Global Moderator
OK so I looked through the scorecard and I'm even less sure wtf Kohli was talking about when he says "I saw it two or three times while batting". There were no reviews during either of his innings, and from a brief glance at the ball by ball commentary there doesn't seem to have been anything where they would have thought about going upstairs.

I mean, he wasn't exactly out there long. So really, what is he talking about?

EDIT: Haha, beaten.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, didn't this thread go to **** in a hurry!! Last night it was entertainingly "tetchy".........today it's just woeful.

fwiw, to me a **** wicket is one that produces ****/boring cricket. That was one of the most entertaining test matches I've seen in a while so I got no issues at all with the wicket.

Zinzan

From the body language of the incident itself, looked to me like it was Handscomb who suggested to look toward the players area, I was surprised Smith actually did.

Zinzan

Wow, didn't this thread go to **** in a hurry!! Last night it was entertainingly "tetchy".........today it's just woeful.

fwiw, to me a **** wicket is one that produces ****/boring cricket. That was one of the most entertaining test matches I've seen in a while so I got no issues at all with the wicket.
With you to an extent. Can't deny the excitement, but fair battle between bat and ball? Nah. Dismissals like Smith's do leave a slightly sour taste, even for a neutral.

vcs

Smith's dismissal was a big slice of luck for India, undeniably. Australia also had a few of those going their way, but in general, grubbers like that are not a good look. Also, there were some really ridiculous sideways deviations off some of the cracks.

We don't want complete roads where the only way for bowlers to take wickets are concentration lapses by batsmen, but we also don't want to see three wicket-taking opportunities being created every over just because the pitch behaves so unpredictably.

Can't every pitch be like the Mumbai one against England? :p That one was pretty much perfect for good Test cricket.. runs on offer, bounce/turn and the game moved forward quickly.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
OK so I looked through the scorecard and I'm even less sure wtf Kohli was talking about when he says "I saw it two or three times while batting". There were no reviews during either of his innings, and from a brief glance at the ball by ball commentary there doesn't seem to have been anything where they would have thought about going upstairs.

I mean, he wasn't exactly out there long. So really, what is he talking about?

EDIT: Haha, beaten.
Sorry yes I'm a newbie but been following a longtime and I am quite surprised the media is not all over his claim. Quite a bizarre claim and I've rerun the tapes of him out there batting .. got through it all in a few minutes. This could explode in Kohli's face rather fast with some decent reporters doing some fact checking.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Red soil, vcs.. That is the answer to all these pitch woes. Issue is that if you do not get it right, red soil will create an absolute bunsen. So most curators are worried and go in for the black soil junk which take forever to crack up and offer anything to the bowlers, unless you leave grass on the wicket. Which just makes it a lottery as the 1st and 4th innings become the hardest to bat in, but there is always a chance a team can dominate in the second inning and press for an innings win.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
With you to an extent. Can't deny the excitement, but fair battle between bat and ball? Nah. Dismissals like Smith's do leave a slightly sour taste, even for a neutral.
Hahaha, watching Smith get done like that was the highlight of the whole thing!! But, yeah that's just me and if it was Joe Root on the end of that maybe I'd feel differently.

Yeah, the contest between bat and ball was skewed for sure........but FMD, a wicket that produces 500+ each innings and peters out to a draw during the 3rd innings is infinitely worse IMO. And sure we'd all criticise such a wicket but I doubt it would be getting the flack that this one is.

I say **** the batsmen, they have had it too good for too long. Wouldn't want to see every test strip play like this but every now and then is very very entertaining.

PS,

On another note, I'll guarantee that every person that was in that stadium will never forget it and will be keen to get back to another test match. A wicket like this will not kill test cricket.......but the aforementioned roads may well do.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sorry yes I'm a newbie but been following a longtime and I am quite surprised the media is not all over his claim. Quite a bizarre claim and I've rerun the tapes of him out there batting .. got through it all in a few minutes. This could explode in Kohli's face rather fast with some decent reporters doing some fact checking.

Maybe it was not shown on the broadcast and the crap info play by play blokes have a ridiculous anti-India bias anyways. I just dunno how anyone can say they have reported to the referee without it being true. If it was not true, wont the referee and ICC have jumped on it by now? The match officials have not given any official statement either.

Zinzan

Hahaha, watching Smith get done like that was the highlight of the whole thing!! But, yeah that's just me and if it was Joe Root on the end of that maybe I'd feel differently.

Haha. there'd be no maybe about it if it were Root, and you know it :p

TheJediBrah

Oh piss off. Aus has won just five tests in India over the last twenty years and a laughable one test over the last ten years. Before you retort with India's record over in Aus, remember that we are not making any claims of being able to win over there, unlike you. Your team will still lose on normal Indian pitches.
When did I ever claim anything like that? If anything I said the opposite.

Offensive language, check. Little basis in reality, check.

Where you been?

Burgey

Maybe it was not shown on the broadcast and the crap info play by play blokes have a ridiculous anti-India bias anyways. I just dunno how anyone can say they have reported to the referee without it being true. If it was not true, wont the referee and ICC have jumped on it by now? The match officials have not given any official statement either.
Wait, you're saying cricinfo has an anti-India bias? Are you for real? This is genuinely delusional.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cannot continue with MMarsh

Oz are basically fielding a top 5, 2 * unreliable no.7s, a hit or miss 8, and a 9 -11 that can't be relied upon for any runs whatsoever so our tail effectively starts at 6

Get Usman in at 3 and shuffle everybody down one.

If they are really desperate for some overs from a batsman, then get Maxwell in as well and have Handscomb keep (not in favor of this option btw)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wait, you're saying cricinfo has an anti-India bias? Are you for real? This is genuinely delusional.

I said their play by play guys do, since the Ind-Eng series. What is delusional is that you think it is so without even having checked out what the subject matter is.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. there'd be no maybe about it if it were Root, and you know it :p
To be perfectly honest probably not......things like that really don't tend to bother me. We all have our different things that grinds our gears, for me it is having DRS return a wrong decision. If Root got sawn off through the DRS process I'd crap on about it for a month.

I do get why people are pissed about seeing such variable bounce from the first session though.......but I like the variety of these wickets and if it makes for entertaining cricket, I don't give a **** if it's tough for batsmen.

Burgey

This is awful too. No one is saying Indian posters are making claims about being able to win over here, because not even the likes of HB are that delusional.