• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is there no mention of how Marsh was lucky in the first innings to survive a caught behind when he was on 14(went on to make 66 subsequently)? DRS/Umpiring went both ways in this test; I reckon they were actually more marginal ones that went Australia's way...Smith first innings (umpires call on lbw), kohli 2nd innings lbw, MMarsh second innings lbw which was umpires call etc.
I was analysing things that contributed to our loss, not the things that went our way. Marsh was sawn off in the second innings and it did hurt our chances of chasing down the total.

If India had have lost I could have expected a similar pay from an Indian saying that not reviewing the Marsh caught behind in the first innings contributed to their loss.

And you know what, India could have reviewed that decision but chose not to. Australia could have reviewed the second innings dismissal but (for whatever reason) chose not to. The bigger mistake was Australia's because it was a howler, compared to not reviewing a caught behind that made virtually no sound at all and came off a feathering of the glove.

I am in no way saying that India didn't have things go against them. They did. I was analysing key moments that contributed to Australia's loss.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Pitches have been **** but in both games the team that played better overall ending up winning.

Australia didnt deserve 2-0 so 1-1 is fair enough. Hopefully pitches from now will go back to being normal and we'll see a game where you genuinely have to play good cricket to win and where all 3 results are possible.

These pitches have only helped eradicate the gap between the sides and made the teams even.

If the next pitch is a minefield once more, I'll not watch Test cricket again. Luck already has a huge bearing on any game but these pitches have amplified the luck factor to no end.. and its ****.

Why waste 5 whole days watching a luck contest when you can simply watch a 3hr T20 which is far more entertaining too.

The day India loses interest in Test Cricket, it'll become a limited sport played mostly by just Aus & Eng. And that day is not too far ahead.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Centurymaker, don't be ridiculous. You'll watch more tests because tests are awesome.

I do hope that the next test is more batting-friendly though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just been thinking that it was quite poor from Smith to break the rules then throw Handscomb under the bus like that (even if it was his fault), and then try to weasel out of the Marsh review with some 6/10 Zohaibing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
> Ashwin was poor. I got so caught up in the flurry of wickets in the second innings that I wasn't able to study his mechanics, as I said earlier, but if he's going to keep bowling without the revs and energy on the ball then he will continue to be milked for runs. We could get away with it on a pitch like this if Ashwin can just hold his line and length, but on flatter decks his lack of potency will be a problem. Especially in a 4 man attack.

Nah.. I mentioned this earlier. Ash was awesome on day 2 till the last session. And in the 4th innings, I felt the zip was better off his bowling. He mentioned he was gripping the ball too tight so far this series. And that can happen, given these are conditions that help spinners and he is the leading spinner and is expected to run through the opposition. But apparently he got straight back to the indoor nets post day 3 and was working till he felt the bowling release was better. And we could see the results in the second dig. He started hitting the rough, better drift and dip (he did Handscomb in flight beautifully) and better bounce. He got Starc with a lovely top spinner too. Which does not come out right unless he is feeling good about his bowling. He should have got a lot of wickets just for the way he bowled in the first and second sessions on day 2. Even yesterday, there was a period when he looked like getting Warner out every ball and the nicks kept falling just out of reach. HOpefully he can rest well and come back even better at Ranchi.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What skills are required to keep out the ball that got Smith?

Getting on the front foot. Believe it or not, he is NOT the only batsman ever in test history to have played on such a pitch. And there have been batsmen who have made runs batting on such tracks.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Only 4 batsmen with averages over 30 so far this series.

Starc is the 5th highest scoring batsman this series.

If that's not the sign of dire pitches nothing is.

Yeah, not a sign of dire batting or anything.. 8-) Really loving the whining and the whinging and the waaaahing from social and stephen this thread.. This is why beating Australia is always great. TJB still caught in the Trisangu Haven between going completely old school TJB and being this new Warner-esque poster he is trying to be now.. Love this!!! :laugh:

I was analysing things that contributed to our loss, not the things that went our way. Marsh was sawn off in the second innings and it did hurt our chances of chasing down the total.

If India had have lost I could have expected a similar pay from an Indian saying that not reviewing the Marsh caught behind in the first innings contributed to their loss.

And you know what, India could have reviewed that decision but chose not to. Australia could have reviewed the second innings dismissal but (for whatever reason) chose not to. The bigger mistake was Australia's because it was a howler, compared to not reviewing a caught behind that made virtually no sound at all and came off a feathering of the glove.

I am in no way saying that India didn't have things go against them. They did. I was analysing key moments that contributed to Australia's loss.
We can go all day arguing about what the bigger mistake was...ultimately it doesn't matter whether it was a feather or a big edge...out is out....if anything SMarsh given a reprieve in the first innings was a bigger mistake as it likely influenced the game a lot more and made the game much closer than it should have been. If Marsh had gone for 14 there, Australia would have struggled to reach India's total in the first innings...Australia would have then been chasing 270 odd and on that pitch they could have had 15 wickets and fallen short of chasing 270.

Analysis of a loss is all fine and dandy but while having a sook about the toss and umpiring errors+DRS decisions, it is important to mention the ones that did go in your favour otherwise it is a rather redundant exercise. SMarsh could have been given 3 chances in the second innings and Australia would have still lost if they had been chasing 250+ which they likely would have if SMarsh hadn't been the beneficiary of an umpiring error in the first innings.

Burgey

Getting on the front foot. Believe it or not, he is NOT the only batsman ever in test history to have played on such a pitch. And there have been batsmen who have made runs batting on such tracks.
Yeah, um no. Smith kept out between 6-10 of those sort of balls across both innings, and it was remarkable he did so. The one which got him he did pretty much everything right to, it just went diabolically low, even by the standards of some of the other balls Yadav had bowled.He's the only batsman on either side who consistently kept out so many grubbers, and tbh he's probably the only bloke on either team here who would have been in the same postcode as the ball which got him. Pujara maybe a shout, but he's not as good a player of pace. Kohli would have left it. Mitch Marsh would have got bowled then looked around real confused.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Centurymaker, don't be ridiculous. You'll watch more tests because tests are awesome.

I do hope that the next test is more batting-friendly though.
I'd rather have a green seaming pitch with no spin that suits Australia 100% rather than having a batting friendly pitch. I'm so freaking tired of watching sessions where the biggest mystery is when the team will declare or what the strike rate of the next centurion will be. I prefer matches where there could be a wicket every delivery. If you don't like this type of wicket, fine. But please no batter friendly ones.

Burgey

We can go all day arguing about what the bigger mistake was...ultimately it doesn't matter whether it was a feather or a big edge...out is out....if anything SMarsh given a reprieve in the first innings was a bigger mistake as it likely influenced the game a lot more and made the game much closer than it should have been. If Marsh had gone for 14 there, Australia would have struggled to reach India's total in the first innings...Australia would have then been chasing 270 odd and on that pitch they could have had 15 wickets and fallen short of chasing 270.

Analysis of a loss is all fine and dandy but while having a sook about the toss and umpiring errors+DRS decisions, it is important to mention the ones that did go in your favour otherwise it is a rather redundant exercise. SMarsh could have been given 3 chances in the second innings and Australia would have still lost if they had been chasing 250+ which they likely would have if SMarsh hadn't been the beneficiary of an umpiring error in the first innings.
On the subject of keeping out grubbers, can someone ****block this bloke from the thread? Gigantasaurus poo-sized stinking up of the thread.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thoughts on the game:

- Australia were immense for the first 2.5 days and it s really a body blow to lose from that situation. I kept saying how they had all the luck go their way in this test for the first two days but it deserted them when they needed it the most and Pujara and Rahane somehow got in and made them pay. They were very unlucky to not to have dismissed one of them, esp. Pujara, early on.

- The pitch or the previous both were test standard AFAIC. As long as this is not the norm I dont mind odd wickets that help bowlers this much. But FWIW, this pitch was much more of a lottery to survive on than the last one and if anything, I would have minded it far less if the idiot Broad called this one poor. Last one was not poor. It was predictable in what it did and INdia's incompetence with the bat was the reason we got bowled out for 100 odd each innings.

- India finally showed the fight they never did at Pune from day 2. As I said, it was a good sign even if it would have been for zilch had Australia kept their composure during the 3rd and 4th innings this match. They were definitely back to the old #intent game. Whether that was Lehmann or Smith himself, they need to understand that you are not gonna punch your way out of trouble in India in test cricket. Need attrition, calm heads, bit of humility and leaving the ego back in the dressing room. Everything they did so well for the first 6 innings of this series.

- I am not too fussed about Smith and team asking the dressing room. If it was more than once, sure, they deserve the spraying Kohli gave them. If not, Kohli should cop a ban for basically accusing them of cheating publicly. But I think it was an excellent presser overall. Aussies have tried to get under his skin way too much since 2011 and guess they just hate someone giving it back to them. Social can lie all he wants about India being sledging leaders but his green and gold tinted lying wont fool anyone. Aussies love sledging and hate it when given back in equal measure and that is just wonderful to watch.

- Ranchi is usually slow and low and favors a lot of attritional cricket where small mistakes like batsmen throwing away starts will matter a lot. So Aussies need to go back to what they did for the majority of the series and not do the stuff they did on days 3 and 4 of this test. They are still in with a very good shout as it is totally possible India are the ones to throw it all away in some hubris after winning this test. Can only hope Kumble being there will help limit such things.

Burgey

Michael Clarke says Virat Kohli's allegations Australia were infringing on DRS rules may have merit

Good on Clarke for having the temerity and decency to call it like it is. For far too long Smith and the Australian sides have gotten away with gamesmanship(there were several such instances which were responsible for their series wins in England and SA in recent years, all of which I shall talk about in a separate thread some time after the India series).
The last time Australia won a series in England was 2001 mate. Smith was still in primary school.

Can you start that thread now please Blocky? I'm really looking forward to reading your insights into the game