• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. I thought I would have calmed down by now to make a decent long post looking back at the whole game but thanks to Kohli's presser and the twitter buzz I am still on that high. Will post a proper review on the game later though.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Lot of silly nationalism here which does this match a disservice. As a neutral (well, I was rooting for India), this was a brilliant test match which ebbed and flowed. It has been the best Test match in a few years. Beyond the odd bit of form loss or selection issue, I do not see how anyone can heavily criticise either team's performance really. Australia took first glory carrying on from Pune; India fought back into a position of parity; Australia made a decent fist of what would have been a hugely difficult run chase, each wicket, every ten or so runs the 'favourite' switched hands. It was not without controversy (Smith looking towards the Pavilion) and terrible umpiring (Sean Marsh's dismissal) - it was exciting stuff.

I think if it had ended closer, a tied test, or either an Indian win by circa minus 15 runs or Lyon/Hazlewood getting Australia over the finishing line, you'd rank this up with the very finest Tests, Edgbastons 05, Eden Hardens 01 etc. It did end a bit anti-climatically, although I imagine Indians were relieved.

burr

State Vice-Captain
For David Warner, that's now 15 consecutive Tests outside Oz he's gone without scoring a ton (average 31.89).

If he keeps this up he's on track to win his 3rd AB Medal in a row.
Maybe there's a case for dropping him, horses for courses and all that. Clearly can't play outside Aus. (Only half joking).

Game on. Aussies shouldn't be too disheartened, they were right in that game and mainly lapses in their own skills / application which killed them. Although that 3rd innings partnership was superb. Let's just hope we win the toss for the next test. And bring Maxwell in. He doesn't deserve it but India would much rather face a team with a MMarsh than a Maxwell.

indiaholic

International Captain
Australia are so much better at DRS because the bowlers do not buy into their own act.. So so many times when Smith asked the bowler and they immediately explained why they should or shouldn't review.. Something to learn from.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BUt I just think it takes longer for bowlers to get into that mindset. Wish we had better/more assertive keeper and close in fielders. Problem is Saha is even more clueless than the bowlers or Kohli.

indiaholic

International Captain
I think slips often don't have the best view for lbws and even the keeper's vision is obscured.. Has to come from the bowlers imo.. Too much of the bowler trying to sell the review to the captain rather than giving him an explanation.

But yeah for catches and stuff the rest of the guys need to get better at it

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
BUt I just think it takes longer for bowlers to get into that mindset. Wish we had better/more assertive keeper and close in fielders. Problem is Saha is even more clueless than the bowlers or Kohli.
One of my friends knew Saha personally. He says Saha is so focused in his own job, that he has no idea what is happening around him. I guess that's exactly what happens when he is keeping, too.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
SOK is very impressive in this regard. Impressed by his assertiveness in the matter. Agree its difficult for the bowlers but they need to quickly get into the mindset

Burner

International Regular
Smith throws his team-mates under the bus at every opportunity he gets. More or less blamed his DRS moment on Handscomb :laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also the whole point of technology and even the third umpire is that you're using things that aren't on the field to make sure the game is fairer and smoother.
Well, first and foremost it's against the rules so I think Kohli is well within his rights to slap the Aussies for breaking the rule. Fully with him on the 'who gives a **** what Healy thinks' train too. Never above a good public spray and getting in the face of the oppo, was Heals.

That said, I know what you're saying. The technology should be used to find the correct decision no matter how it's done. I guess my own perception is that the rule-makers made the rule to avoid the situation where an entire team, rather than an individual, is undermining the decision of the umpire. Batsmen, all ****s by the way, would be appealing to the peanut gallery at even the merest whiff of a roughie and I can't help but feel it'd erode trust over time, rather than result in more good calls.

Plus there's the unedifying possibility where the guys in the box are screaming at a guy to review but his partner is saying get on your bike son whilst fielders and umpires stand there dicks in hand. Could even be used as a tactic.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
its one word against another I suppose as to the DRS situation but if Smith is looking to the management to guide his use of a referral or not then that's simply cheating. I suppose the fairest way to do it is to avoid the team management of either team have the replays before the decision to review or not but I suppose that means stopping the tv coverage within the ground (which I suppose is impossible)

bigmitch

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not having a go at Kohli, loved his presser for the most part

But is there actually video evidence, as he claims, that while he was batting the Australians - twice - looked to the dressing room for advice when thinking about a review?

“But if something is going on for three days, that’s not a brain fade - it’s as simple as that. “I don’t want to say more on that, the videos are out there for everyone to see and it was getting repetitive and that’s why the umpires knew that it might happen again. “I saw it two times when I was batting, I can vouch for that.
Cheating? Kohli's press conference inference | cricket.com.au

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dude, we can get the international broadcast as soon as it happens, so can those guys. Its just gotta be a monitoring situation.

And to Sparky and others' points, it might have been done subtly when they were fielding which is what Kohli was saying, as he did say it happened twice when he was batting. So we gotta wait and see. Kumble and the Indian mgmt are not idiots either to just let him go and tell these things in the presser. Something is surely going on.
If it happened twice when Kohli was batting it must have happened very quickly.

Burner

International Regular
Kohli making his innings short so that the public can go through the few balls he's played to see Australia cheating. What a good guy.