• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the biggest concern here is the same reason why umpire decisions are still made on the field... slowing the game down. Can you imagine a game where every time an Indian spinner asks "howzat" and they had to go upstairs to check if it was out?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Also the whole point of technology and even the third umpire is that you're using things that aren't on the field to make sure the game is fairer and smoother.
I agree. But that is not about fair play or smoothness imo. Sport should also be about a battle of wits out in the middle. For me, that is an essential part of sports. It's perfectly fine to disagree, but for me that part shouldn't go away.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The dressing room has access to a TV screen and sometimes even in real time, it can be clearer to people watching on TV than it is to the players out in the middle. That's the only reason it's an issue for me.

flibbertyjibber

I think the biggest concern here is the same reason why umpire decisions are still made on the field... slowing the game down. Can you imagine a game where every time an Indian spinner asks "howzat" and they had to go upstairs to check if it was out?
Be a bloody god job Harbhajan is out of the picture if that started up.

Top_Cat

Marsh possibly misinterpreting Smith's instructions for his referral is hilarious, by the way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's a very good point and I think there would have to be a different rule for the fielding side, for sure, as you can't have 30 second of time wasting after every appeal. I'm sure there's a solution. Not using TV screens that are universally available in the players lounge and making use of their better viewing angle seems unnecessarily Luddite to me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also, Steve, buddy:
"I said "go" as in "go have a look at it" and he turned around and started walking," Smith said.
Come on man. :laugh:

Reminds me of Archer "M for Mancy":

Edit: worthy of a thread.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Looks like I missed an action packed day. I thought the Aussies had it after the wicket rush do it's disappointing they imploded with the bat. I was expecting that to happen once there was pressure though. The rejigged batting lineup hadn't had much pressure put on it. Looks like there was drama also. Now we have a proper contest going.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Simplest solution is that no replays may be shown by the local broadcaster until the DRS time is up.... don`t think the dressing rooms have footage available that quickly otherwise.

dude, we can get the international broadcast as soon as it happens, so can those guys. Its just gotta be a monitoring situation.

And to Sparky and others' points, it might have been done subtly when they were fielding which is what Kohli was saying, as he did say it happened twice when he was batting. So we gotta wait and see. Kumble and the Indian mgmt are not idiots either to just let him go and tell these things in the presser. Something is surely going on.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Also, Steve, buddy:

Come on man. :laugh:

Reminds me of Archer "M for Mancy":

Edit: worthy of a thread.
Haha is he referring to Shaun Marsh dismissal?

Lol, that's such a Steve Smith meme incident.

Why didn't he stop SMarsh after SMarsh started walking, lol?

harsh.ag

dude, we can get the international broadcast as soon as it happens, so can those guys. Its just gotta be a monitoring situation.

And to Sparky and others' points, it might have been done subtly when they were fielding which is what Kohli was saying, as he did say it happened twice when he was batting. So we gotta wait and see. Kumble and the Indian mgmt are not idiots either to just let him go and tell these things in the presser. Something is surely going on.
Assuming he cares enough to ask for their opinion #NoHeDoesn't

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. he has always been very respectful of the seniors in and around Indian cricket, even on his worst days which was his early years. That stint at RCB with Dravid and Ray Jennings must have surely helped him.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Australia had a great chance to go 2-0 up. Now India will bounce back. They were not even required to score 200 even. Only a few of their batsman know how to play in these conditions. The fact is they are not good enough. I don't know how you can just fold for just scoring over a 100 runs. The Australia batsman are at fault here as all they had to do was to just occupy the crease and get your basics right. They also had plenty of days to spare. Win was there for the taking, but credit to Indian batsman in the 2nd innings for making a fight out of it. In the end, they deserved the win, and Australia deserved to lose which is a shame because Australian bowlers have set the platform for the batsman. Australia even had a decent lead. India could now very well win the next 2 tests with ease. I feel Australia have wasted a chance here. But I have a funny feeling the series will shared 2-2. Australia will bounce back for sure. Their bowlers have been impressive, but their batsman bar Shaw and Smith have struggled big time.

Daemon

What a game :)

Couple of things I won't be forgetting from this match

1) The way we bowled on Day 2. Can't stress how important it was that they bowl well to get themselves to a situation where the game wasn't completely out of reach. The way Renshaw and Smarsh countered that with brilliance of their own was fabulous as well. The first two sessions were probably one of the most gripping contests I've seen in my short time watching cricket.

2) That Starc over. It was like he just went "you know what, **** the pitch" and just showed everyone what he's best at. Left arm fast inswing that majority of the time players know is coming but still fail to do anything about it. Quality from the other end from Haze as well but really, without that Starc over the lead would have blown way out of reach.

Now I don't know what to make of this Kohli press conference and the allegations, but it shouldn't detract from what's been a bloody entertaining game. Get the feeling like it already has, by just catching up on the match thread.

Oh and the pitch was quite disgusting, as much as it allowed for the game to move along quickly. Umpires Call needs to be looked at as well.