• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I feel like it helped India close the deficit reasonably quickly. Bowl normally and you might be 3/4 down by the time India reach the deficit and they're way behind. Though tbf Hazlewood did do a great job before tea in getting Australia back on top.

It just grates because Australia have been clearly the better team for 70% of the Test and were on the verge of series victory. Maybe it still happens even if we lose this Test, but it'll be hard.
Better on Day 1 without a doubt, but Day 2 was split down the middle. It may have seemed Aus won the day when in fact they were simply enjoying the carry-over from Day 1. Day 3, I think we can agree, is India's.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia's total was fine and arguably excellent

The fact that some of our bowlers have bowled complete dross is not

bigmitch

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The real question here is why is the Indian Gambhiring working for them in some weird kind of reverse karma but ours just makes things worse ffs...
Who knew, the answer might be positivity!!

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Starc, I know I mentioned this earlier but I really think his post-lunch tactic of bowling wide from around the wicket was misguided.

He is very good at it but I think that's more a tactic for Oz pitches to use a different angle on flat, bland pitches.

Here, the pitch is a bit up and down and doing a bit off the pitch and bowling full balls on the stumps cancels all that out. If he's going to do that tactic, at least try some short stuff which I can't recall him doing today.

cnerd123

likes this
Re: Starc, I know I mentioned this earlier but I really think his post-lunch tactic of bowling wide from around the wicket was misguided.

He is very good at it but I think that's more a tactic for Oz pitches to create angles on flat pitches.

Here, the pitch is a bit up and down and doing a bit off the pitch and bowling full balls on the stumps cancels all that out. If he's going to do that tactic, at least try some short stuff which I can't recall him doing today.
He was trying to hit that patch outside the right-hander's offstump which had all that uneven bounce

Don't blame him for the plan tbh, just think he overpitched or strayed too straight at times.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, he definitely didn't bowl as well. He struggled a bit to maintain a consistent length and his trajectory wasn't as threatening wrt drop.

I dont think the drop was different at all, except that coz the wicket has softened a bit more and hence slowed down, it was not bouncing that alarmingly and when it did, there was still time to adjust. See, what you guys call poor bowling, is what I call trying variations and in this case, as with Ash, it was all fair enough as the steady strategy had already been tried and the game was in a situation where going for the wicket was paramount than just bowling dry. You can fault the spinners when they try too much and too soon, but not when everything else has been tried already.its not wrong to try your variations. IIRC, Ash got some of the RSA batsmen out of their blockathon mindset to play a few shots by bowling some stupid variations and getting them to go towards the ball more than just blocking it. It paid off at the end too.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was trying to hit that patch outside the right-hander's offstump which had all that uneven bounce

Don't blame him for the plan tbh, just think he overpitched or strayed too straight at times.
Yeah, but that's what's going to happen when you bowl that sort of angle. The margins are just too fine.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant

I could understand him trying it for an over or two but that's how he bowled throughout his post-lunch spells. Also, compared to the wicket-to-wicket bowling Marsh did (underbowled imo), it makes it much easier for the bats to use the angle to get easy runs through the leg side, hence his expensive economy rate and not being used that often because of it.

I reckon Starc was thinking of the glory ball to get a wicket instead of building pressure through tight lines, which probably summed up Australia's bowling as a whole today.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, the one criticism you can make of the Oz bowling plans today is that they seemed heavily reliant on that particular patch. Everyone was trying to bowl to it and the guys at the other end were almost bowling to just keep things tight for the other end. As stupid as it looked, it was pretty brave of Ashwin and Jaddu to have tried other areas to get wickets. Maybe their hands were forced as the area was almost harmless for left handers unless Ash could get a dream spell going like the morning of the second day, but otherwise, they were flexible enough to look at other options to get wickets. Guess Oz could learn from that tomm and bowl better.

They are, of course, gonna bowl us out before we hit 150 lead and go on to win the game with an hour to the close tomorrow.

Burner

International Regular
Game on the balance now imo. India have pulled it back well but Aus still a good shot at rolling India for less than 200. Only one more bat to come after this partnership.

I think if India score around 200 it'll make Aus' second innings very interesting. Could go either way.

irfan

State Captain
Game very much in the balance - 4th innings par for this pitch is 225 IMO and with India effectively 4/125, they're on track to get that lead.

Let's not get suckered into hyperbole from both sets of supporters gambhiring each other as I reckon it's deadset even. Whoever wins the first session tommorrow will win the match.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Any chase on this pitch is going to be difficult for the Australians. If India can be shot out for 189, then they can skittle Australia for a lot less than that. Very much in the balance.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As the person responsible for the invention of the term gambhiring, even I'm getting the ****s at the amount of it going on here. Ruining an otherwise excellent tour thread.

Believe it or not, and as much as it might hurt us, the deliberately negative prognostications of keyboard warriors across the interwebz has **** all do with the outcome of a sporting event. Fin.

anil1405

International Captain
Game very much in the balance - 4th innings par for this pitch is 225 IMO and with India effectively 4/125, they're on track to get that lead.

Let's not get suckered into hyperbole from both sets of supporters gambhiring each other as I reckon it's deadset even. Whoever wins the first session tommorrow will win the match.
Nailed it. First session tomorrow gives us a better idea of who the winner would be.