• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Spark

Global Moderator
It's happened far too often. I don't think it's as bad a pitch as 2012 nagpur vs England. But it's still poor. Far too many shooters.

Best thing I can say is atleast it hasn't had those that rear up at the batsman too. Here at least they can sort of try and stay low to keep out the odd low one.
It has had a few of these, right?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a key difference. If a deck is low but predictably low, you can adjust and it's a test of good technique. If you've no idea what the deck is going to do, that's a bad (potentially dangerous) deck and technique doesn't matter.

cnerd123

likes this
Tbh, I don't really mind seeing that happen occasionally, even on day 2. The bad decks, for mine, are when the game can't progress, where the bats find it hard to score off any ball whether well or badly pitched. Yeah there's the occasional shooter but there's still runs out there. You can bet Renshaw walked off less feeling like he was lucky to get as many as he did and more like a ton nipped in the bud.
I think that this is happening on Day 2 is what bothers me, because the assumption is that its going to get worse as the game progresses and thus eventually morph into something unplayable by day 3/4. Already most of the runs scored have come of simply putting the bad balls away, or attempts to keep the ball out that have skewed off the edges into gaps. It hasn't been conductive for strokemaking at all.

With Marsh's wicket, it's also now gotten to the stage where the pitch is playing a direct role in the dismissals of the batsmen.

It's been fun to watch and clearly is playable, but I can understand labelling this pitch 'poor' more than any other surface offered in India in the last couple of years.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's a key difference. If a deck is low but predictably low, you can adjust and it's a test of good technique. If you've no idea what the deck is going to do, that's a bad (potentially dangerous) deck and technique doesn't matter.
True, but some are jumping at the batsmen too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, it's just what we value. As a fan, I'm happy to cop decks like this occasionally because it's far better than the era in the early 00's when groundsmen were so paranoid about making sure Tests lasted 5 days, every **** with a bat and a dick had a 50+ average.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyway, it's just what we value. As a fan, I'm happy to cop decks like this occasionally because it's far better than the era in the early 00's when groundsmen were so paranoid about making sure Tests lasted 5 days, every **** with a bat and a dick had a 50+ average.
Yeah fair. But I am basically thinking that we either try to win by an innings or we probably lose tbh.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
LOL what does PC Brigade have to do with it? :laugh:

Do you also complain about every English pitch that seams like hell for Broad and Anderson in the first 2 sessions, and then turns into a road?
Don't make a straw man argument that deviates from the point. The politically correct brigade apparently have it right even if no one in the media or the experts agreed with them that any of those pitches were 'good'. Had they praised those tracks, they would undoubtedly use that as vindication but when it's the other way round it's derided as an appeal to authority.

Some call it salt.
Yea calling a spade a spade is salt.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don't make a straw man argument that deviates from the point. The politically correct brigade apparently have it right even if no one in the media or the experts agreed with them that any of those pitches were 'good'. Had they praised those tracks, they would undoubtedly use that as vindication but when it's the other way round it's derided as an appeal to authority.

Yea calling a spade a spade is salt.
Just shut up and watch the damn game.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
A Starc cameo would be so good here. A lead even of 50 runs is just so useful on a pitch that is playing up

cnerd123

likes this
lmao

Someone's got issues.

Compton

International Debutant
The whole atmosphere will change once Australia move into the lead IMO. Particularly if they've still got 5 wickets in-hand.