• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes- The greatest ODI teams of all time (Australia)

How is Watson even getting a mention? He should be the joke candidate in this election. Only there to make people have a laugh before they consider the real candidates. An injury-prone over-rated pretender if ever there was one.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is Watson even getting a mention? He should be the joke candidate in this election. Only there to make people have a laugh before they consider the real candidates. An injury-prone over-rated pretender if ever there was one.
Tests =! ODI's. He's a great ODI player.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Fred.....do you know the difference between test and ODI cricket?

Watson was never a joke in the shorter form and belongs in the conversation if you're looking at a very good 5th bowling option.

That said I'll vote for Hayden.

Fred.....do you know the difference between test and ODI cricket?

Watson was never a joke in the shorter form and belongs in the conversation if you're looking at a very good 5th bowling option.

That said I'll vote for Hayden.

Please! We are talking about the greatest side of all time. It's unlikely when it's all said and done that Watson's bowling will be much more than a nice to have. He doesn't make the conversation at all really.

That's my opinion. You do know what an opinion is right? There's no need to troll me simply because you don't agree.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Please! We are talking about the greatest side of all time. It's unlikely when it's all said and done that Watson's bowling will be much more than a nice to have. He doesn't make the conversation at all really.

That's my opinion. You do know what an opinion is right? There's no need to troll me simply because you don't agree.
Watson, Afridi and Jayasuriya are the only ones that I remember who opened for the team, can blast away quick runs and also bowl 10 good overs. Hence, they are rightfully in all ATG conversations.

Watson, Afridi and Jayasuriya are the only ones that I remember who opened for the team, can blast away quick runs and also bowl 10 good overs. Hence, they are rightfully in all ATG conversations.

If a team already has suffient bowling stocks then further bowlers don't really matter. Hence Watson is assessed on batting alone.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If a team already has suffient bowling stocks then further bowlers don't really matter. Hence Watson is assessed on batting alone.
You need at least 1-2 all-rounders in an ODI side. Watson was a very good all-rounder. Second only to Symonds for Australia in my mind (and Symonds makes my AT World XI)

Having said that, I think Hayden and Gilchrist are the best opening pair for an AT Aus XI. But if we're short on bowling options elsewhere, Watson would be a better choice.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Bevan
Jones / Watson
Hussey
Symonds
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

Is my XI. It's light-on for bowling without Watson in the middle order but between Symonds and Bevan we could cover 10 overs.

Days of Grace

International Captain
This is where the problem of selecting by order of position rears its ugly head. I would like to know who the five bowlers selected are before making a call between Watson, Hayden, or Waugh.

Another observation I have made about alltime ODI sides is that most nations can field four very good bowlers. It's the quality of the 5th bowler that might separate them.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You need at least 1-2 all-rounders in an ODI side. Watson was a very good all-rounder. Second only to Symonds for Australia in my mind (and Symonds makes my AT World XI)

Having said that, I think Hayden and Gilchrist are the best opening pair for an AT Aus XI. But if we're short on bowling options elsewhere, Watson would be a better choice.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Bevan
Jones / Watson
Hussey
Symonds
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

Is my XI. It's light-on for bowling without Watson in the middle order but between Symonds and Bevan we could cover 10 overs.
I'll tell you a useful Aust allrounder who hardly gets a mention these days, and that's Simon O'Donnell. His batting SR of 81 in the 1985-91 era, has to be worth 110 in today's era.

Teuton

International Captain
For future reference, seems like the second player picked needs to be the all-rounder (who can bowl 10 overs and bats in the top 6/7). Then the rest of the batting order can be constructed around them.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
A triad of Bevan, Mark & Steve Waugh could arguably be good enough send down 10 overs in an Aussie ATG side. Don't forget that Tugga has 195 ODI wickets to his name.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Boon. Not that I think he is one of the best openers, but he is not a typical Aussie ####### like Watto, Waugh, Warner and Hayden and seems a decent bloke. That gets him a vote from me. Marsh seems a good bloke too, but loses a vote for his progeny

bagapath

International Captain
I love Mark Waugh and David Boon. Really like Hayden and Warner. Always found Watson irritating, I don't know why.
But I am choosing Shane Watson to partner Adam Gilchrist because of his all round ability. I can think of several great late order batsmen who represented Australia, but not one great all rounder. Watson is the closest; and for the balance of this team, he has to be in.

bagapath

International Captain
A triad of Bevan, Mark & Steve Waugh could arguably be good enough send down 10 overs in an Aussie ATG side. Don't forget that Tugga has 195 ODI wickets to his name.
If Hussey, Bevan and Symonds make up your 5, 6 and 7 then there is no place for Tugga.