• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Flem274*

123/5
Bad bowling doesn't always prove it was the wrong selection, but it clearly was today. Sodhi is not your typical floaty off spinner, he does well when there's bounce even if there's not much turn. Plus Australia struggle with him. Can you remind me the last time Australia ever struggled with Southee?
is australia struggling with him based off one game?

sodhi is just as likely to get pulverised, especially on a road, than take a bag. i can understand why they went with three seamers and santa on a pitch that isn't the domestic "pick every norounder you have and send down pretend spin" trash deck you often get.

we already have neesham and ferguson as volatile run rates in the team. southee is meant to be good, but is infuriating. he's bowling like a ted cruz to sodhi's reasonably likely donald trump :p

Flem274*

123/5
i guess you can understand wanting to pulverise the part timer but that was a silly shot after they'd taken a big over already. good baiting from NZ

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would definitely like a bit of Sodhi here with the strangle on. The awkward thing about our lack bowlers that can bat is that you'd really need to leave out one of the three main seamers to make it happen, and NZ historically don't do that at home. That's no real reason of course, just requires pushing against the inertia of tradition. Santner deserves his spot so I would be reluctant to bring in Sodhi as a straight swap for him.

Flem274*

123/5
ferguson definitely hurries batsmen more than milne does, despite being a fraction slower on average. milne better with his areas and movement tho.

when both are fit may as well play both and save the test bowlers a few games

ferg also averages 19 in fc with the bat i see

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Ffs no slip for stoinis is dire. It's pretty clear that you don't restrict this aussie side, you get them all out.

Also impressed with Fergusons accuracy and stamina. Maybe jerg actually did something right

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
ferguson definitely hurries batsmen more than milne does, despite being a fraction slower on average. milne better with his areas and movement tho.

when both are fit may as well play both and save the test bowlers a few games
If we play both Anderson and Santner, we can drop Southee and play one of them in the test side. Something like 6 Anderson 7 Watling 8 Santner 9 Wagner 10 Milne/Ferguson 11 Boult

jcas0167

International Debutant
Ffs no slip for stoinis is dire. It's pretty clear that you don't restrict this aussie side, you get them all out.
Yep, an area where NZ misses McCullum's attacking approach.It wasn't exactly a big surprise that Ferguson got an edge either, was beating the bat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If we play both Anderson and Santner, we can drop Southee and play one of them in the test side. Something like 6 Anderson 7 Watling 8 Santner 9 Wagner 10 Milne/Ferguson 11 Boult
as a complete fantasy of course because it's highly unlikely they'd be fit enough. But still, I'm trying to figure out ways to add penetration.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Anderson actually a better test allrounder than Neesham?

Flem274*

123/5
Also someone needs to explain to me the case for southee over Henry in Odis
henry has lost his length and swing :(
as a complete fantasy of course because it's highly unlikely they'd be fit enough. But still, I'm trying to figure out ways to add penetration.
short spells, especially since NZ have wagner to bowl 10 over spells of bouncers and yorkers.

milne and ferguson in rotation depending on who is fit would be worth it for preventing harbhajan singh centuries and other tail shenanigans alone, so im all for your idea even if it's neesham's bowling in place of anderson

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
henry has lost his length and swing :(

short spells, especially since NZ have wagner to bowl 10 over spells of bouncers and yorkers.

milne and ferguson in rotation depending on who is fit would be worth it for preventing harbhajan singh centuries and other tail shenanigans alone, so im all for your idea even if it's neesham's bowling in place of anderson
Yeah pretty much.

I mean we wouldn't do it in England or whatever, but it'd be nice.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Love to see a plan like that work. Boult bowling really well here.

Taylor also took that very nicely - a contrast to that miscue from Head when Taylor at midwicket should at least have got his fingers to it imo.