• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But if Wade's injured who'll maintain the sledging department? Who'll tell Gary that his bowling is 'nice'? These things must be considered.

Gnske

Will Jadeja vs Khawaja be the most one sided fight since Drago vs Apollo?

Gnske

Also curious to know, what first XI's do my fellow Aus posters want?

Renshaw - I'd prefer him not to be broken, but I'd like to be surprised. His only hope is to actually pick the spin imo and focus on the on-side where he's strong. Like Burns before him he prefers to handle spin by charging down the wicket so he'd really need to adapt to being crease-bound. Can see him falling for the sweeping meme in his naivete with the constant Hayden allegories.
Warner
Marsh - There's no way you can play Usman, we've seen year after year that what we score at home counts for ****.
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell - If it's spinning, only really in there for batting alone. Slot in the other Marsh if its flatter since his bowling might be of use and the fact he has no forward defence might be negated.
Wade
O'Keefe
Starc
Hazlewood
Swepson - I was really hostile about his inclusion, baffled would be the proper word. But let's face facts, Lyon will be mauled in typical style. He's had years to discover how to bowl on the sub-continent, let alone on any deck and he still can't do it effectively. He'll deliver over after over of two short-legside deliveries to help the batsmen get off strike and a boundary ball to keep the scoreboard ticking.

He'll get out-bowled by just about anyone and undo any good work O'Keefe is doing at the other end keeping the scoring tight. At least with a leg-spinner who is theoretically a wicket-taker we can at least get some wickets from pure hubris even if he also undoes some of O'Keefe's work in the process. As far as I see it, the tour was doomed from the outset so we might as well try new flavours.

They'll go with Lyon no doubt, but if he hasn't learned anything I'd dump him quick time. Given the selection policies since Hobart I wouldn't be surprised if Hohns + Chappell did just that. Meme wickets against Pakistan won't hold him in good ground for long.

Justo

U19 Debutant
That's pretty much what I would go with except I'd have Lyon over Swepson and Nevill over Wade. If Lyon stinks it up for the first 2 tests I'd give Swepson a run and see what he can do.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's obvious I'm a massive Lyon hater but I reckon he'll actually do alright this time. He's better than all the spinners who've toured since Swann/Panesar and if he gets the decks that SA did then he'll definitely be a threat.

He was a complete joke the last time he toured though, hopefully it stays that way.

Daemon

He did run through you guys in the first innings at Delhi. Not that he did all that much through the rest of the series.
Yes, good on him for doing well after the series had been well and truly lost. It wasn't really even a turning point because he proceeded to leak runs at 5 per over or something in the very next innings.

Maybe complete joke is being too harsh, he was about 95% joke.

Gnske

I think it's obvious I'm a massive Lyon hater but I reckon he'll actually do alright this time. He's better than all the spinners who've toured since Swann/Panesar and if he gets the decks that SA did then he'll definitely be a threat.

He was a complete joke the last time he toured though, hopefully it stays that way.
But will he be enough of a threat? Bowling friendly conditions overseas have been meaningless often in recent times for particularly our seamers.But yeah I'd like to have that belief in Gaz, but I've had that hope since the 2014 Pakistan series. Never learns.

He just really needs to take wickets more than anything, forget economy if that's happening. It's why I have a suspicion the reason O'Keefe works with Lyon as efficiently as he deals with bouncers is that Lyon is not doing just that, taking the wickets which O'Keefe is creating pressure for (which he later takes himself). Given India probably won't struggle with O'Keefe on his own unless your name is Ajinkya Rahane, the 1st Test scorecard I think is going to be a familiar formula of episode.

Starfighter

Yes, good on him for doing well after the series had been well and truly lost. It wasn't really even a turning point because he proceeded to leak runs at 5 per over or something in the very next innings.

Maybe complete joke is being too harsh, he was about 95% joke.
Four and a half. But it wasn't a big chase having collapsed again . If Lyon was a joke though I'm guessing that applies to Ashwin who was out bowled by him on both his tours down here :ph34r:
The direness of Wade's keeping in that series (and ing general) must also be considered.

Compton

International Debutant
Renshaw
Warner
SMarsh
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
MMarsh
Wade
O'Keefe
Starc
Haze

Picking Khawaja is as good as picking 10 players on a spinning pitch. Pick a couple of 'high ceiling' players in Maxwell and MMarsh and hope they can provide a couple of big innings between them to nick draws.
Obviously I'd play Nev if he was touring, but if they're gonna pretend Wade is a keeper; that's their prerogative.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For the first test I would definitely pick Khawaja which means I have 10 players locked in and about 4 players vying for that last spot. Marsh x2, Maxwell and Bird.

Unfortunately whoever you pick for that vacant spot leaves us wanting more of something else. I guess MitchMarsh in theory fills the biggest void but I have no idea how his body is and plus he can't exactly be trusted.

Daemon

“Aussies are a top side, but we have been playing a great brand of cricket for the past three years. I think we will be dominating the Aussies. Our approach would be winning the series 4-0.”

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, the dominating line looks out of place from the rest of the story, as I have read it. I really dont see it as dissing the Aussies so much. Its not even McGrath level yet. :p