• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar -> Avg : 48.29 || S/R : 88.05
Jayasuriya -> Avg : 34.61 || S/R : 92.48
Gilly -> Avg : 36.50 || S/R : 98.02
Anwar -> Avg : 39.98 || S/R : 79.93
Ganguly -> Avg : 41.57 || S/R : 73.59
Sehwag -> Avg : 36.49 || S/R : 104.72
Gayle -> Avg : 39.12 || S/R : 85.94

Check this table and give me one good reason why Gilly/Jaya/Anwar would be over Tendulkar/Sehwag as openers.
This is a good table because except for Gayle to an extent, all of them played in the same era.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar -> Avg : 48.29 || S/R : 88.05
Jayasuriya -> Avg : 34.61 || S/R : 92.48
Gilly -> Avg : 36.50 || S/R : 98.02
Anwar -> Avg : 39.98 || S/R : 79.93
Ganguly -> Avg : 41.57 || S/R : 73.59
Sehwag -> Avg : 36.49 || S/R : 104.72
Gayle -> Avg : 39.12 || S/R : 85.94

Check this table and give me one good reason why Gilly/Jaya/Anwar would be over Tendulkar/Sehwag as openers.
Not taking sides but one possible "good reason" may be the conditions they largely played in?

Not sure of the exact stats but from memory ODIs played in India were more batting friendly during the 90s/early 2000s, especially playing as an opener

Shri

Mr. Glass
Because cricket isn't played on a spreadsheet.

There's more to it than that.

Tendulkar is close, Sehwag isn't.
If Gilly wasn't a keeper, Sehwag would pip him in the explosive openers stakes every damn time.

Burner

International Regular
Tendulkar was a freak. The only reason you'd have someone else opening is to have an inferior opener imo.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Not taking sides but one possible "good reason" may be the conditions they largely played in?

Not sure of the exact stats but from memory ODIs played in India were more batting friendly during the 90s/early 2000s, especially playing as an opener
Gilly's and Jaya's average actually goes down when they play in India, Anwar's average goes up a lot but he played very little in India (10 matches to ~30 each for Gilly/Jaya), Tendulkar's average goes up a little but his average outside India is still 45, Sehwag's average stays the same, Ganguly's goes up by about 5 points.

So basically there is no "easier conditions", just home conditions.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Gilly wasn't a keeper, Sehwag would pip him in the explosive openers stakes every damn time.
Dwta. Sehwag's stats are incredibly misleading imo. I agree with Zinzan here... Sehwag is far below Gilchrist as an odi opener,even though I think gilly is overrated in the format.

srbhkshk

International Captain
No.Sehwag wasn't that great in ODIs
Why? He averages the same as Gilly and has a better Strike rate? Sehwag has slightly less total runs but the numbers are not very different.
A case can certainly be made that Gilly's keeping burden didn't allow him to be the Batsmen that he could be, so in that respect he pips Viru, but Viru was a handy bowler. so It's not as if he was a pure bat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We'll have to keep disagreeing. The WC final is the highest pinnacle in ODI cricket by some margin for those lucky enough to get a shot. I say highest 'possible pressure situation', not to suggest it's a always going to be a thriller with 12 needed from the last over or something. I mean that everyone is naturally more on edge in a WC final than any other ODI, it comes with the territory.

This is where you are wrong honestly... You dont get to the final without making it to the semi. If you are playing in the semi and lose, then you will never get to experience the final. In that case, the "greatest possible pressure" is the WC semifinal itself for that player. As I said, its so rigid and stupid to define pressure based on that. If we go by that logic, every game India plays is followed by more number of rabid cricket fans than ALL of the rest of cricketing world put together. Does that mean every game India play, their players are more on the edge than any other player from any other team? That is just as true as what you say about WC finals...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is a good table because except for Gayle to an extent, all of them played in the same era.

Not really.. Jayasuriya played more than 5 years as a middle order bat/spinner and those numbers are skewed because of that. Gilly played only post 1998 (regularly) and always opened, I mean, he literally never had to perform in any other role than what he was used to.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

:laugh: And Australia always played on seaming green tops

srbhkshk

International Captain
Ganguly > sehwag tbh
Here's what I think, a lot of people don't rate Sehwag in ODIs just because he never quite reached his potential in that format, I mean the guy scored 50@84 in tests, If he just cut down on the crap and played just as he did in tests he would be the best opener ever along with Sachin, other players can't do that because their S/R in tests is too low, but the guy was a crowd pleaser and took stupid risks at time, regardless his stats are inferior only to Tendulkar and people who don't rate him in ODIs do that just because he disappointed them in the way he played ODIs.

Burner

International Regular
I personally rate Amla highly. If he can perform in the 2019 WC, he's in with a good shout.

Shri

Mr. Glass
No.Sehwag wasn't that great in ODIs
Did things no one else did multiple times. Double hundred, 5 fours in an over at least 2 times that I can remember, Sehwah/Sachin dominating Pak in the 2003 WC, scoring 80 odd in the WC 2003 final against a great attack to name a few. Only thing that keeps him from the top tier is the fact that most of his good knocks came in bilateral games, rather than ICC tournaments.

Sehwag's average in ICC tournaments is 41 surprisingly:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...865;series=898;template=results;type=allround

I don't know. Looking at that, I might have been wrong.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Not really.. Jayasuriya played more than 5 years as a middle order bat/spinner and those numbers are skewed because of that. Gilly played only post 1998 (regularly) and always opened, I mean, he literally never had to perform in any other role than what he was used to.
HB, these are only opening numbers. Why will I include middle order stuff in that?