• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's not a zero sum game. Top order were **** but Starc doesn't get a free kick playing a dumb shot just because he's a bowler. Many people stuffed up in that chase, including Haze. All deserve to be criticised or just noted that they stuffed up. It just shouldn't be lop sided whereby one is blamed disproportionately compared to the other.s

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would say Stonis stuff upped too, if he hadn't told Haze prior to that ball that this is no longer a "you have to run here no matter what" situation

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I would say Stonis stuff upped too, if he hadn't told Haze prior to that ball that this is no longer a "you have to run here no matter what" situation
Yeah, this is what it comes down to.

Either Stoinis says "I'm going for a boundary so stay put" or "I need to stay on strike so back up". It looked a lot to me like they didn't chat about it, and Stoinis went for the big shot, with Haze left stranded.

Zinzan

I hope the fact we won doesn't paper over the cracks of some of the worst under-pressure white-ball death bowling you could imagine. Stoinis was awesome, but NZ repeatedly bowled 3-4 absolutely perfect balls for hitting towards short straight boundaries at the end.

Don't think Southee will be anywhere near the mix once Milne and McClenaghan are fit again.

Burgey

Yeah, this is what it comes down to.

Either Stoinis says "I'm going for a boundary so stay put" or "I need to stay on strike so back up". It looked a lot to me like they didn't chat about it, and Stoinis went for the big shot, with Haze left stranded.
There were also three overs to go weren't there? It's easy with hindsight when you aren't out there, but Stoinis could have backed Haze to even play out a maiden and they would have won. On balance I'd back Haze to last one over without having to score in that situation, and if he managed to nurdle one away it gets Stoinis back on strike. ANyway, **** happens. Really didn't deserve to be in that position after the way the top order batted, but credit to Stoinis on a remarkable effort.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson has really gotta get over his aversion for bowling himself. There was clear turn on offer yesterday evening, and Santner was difficult to get away even when Stoinis started to get into full flow. And yet Williamson kept throwing the ball back to run sieves like Neesham and Munro.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Williamson has really gotta get over his aversion for bowling himself. There was clear turn on offer yesterday evening, and Santner was difficult to get away even when Stoinis started to get into full flow. And yet Williamson kept throwing the ball back to run sieves like Neesham and Munro.
Thought he should've tried Guppy too.

Blain

U19 Captain
Guppy out for Napier apparently with a hammy injury, and they've called up Dean Brownlie. Would have preferred George Worker, would be handy to have his spin, plus with an eye on the future, has a way bigger up side. 3rd highest run getter this season also, a career average of 40..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Super-reserve Brownlie has been in good form and deserves another chance, though Worker does as well - I haven't been hugely impressed with him to date but still agree with Blain that he could have a future role to play, plus we sorely need another part time bowler.

Brownlie is such a good drinks carrier that they'll probably shoehorn someone else in the squad to open in his place anyway :happy:.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've never really been a fan of Brownlie's one day game tbh, but I'm happy it's not Rutherford or Devcich. If he gets a score it might put some more pressure on Nicholls's Test spot, which is always a good thing.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Maybe the send one of the Colin's up to open? Haha.

Although I still maintain they should just put Southee at the top just to see what would happen.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
@PEWS
Think Broom's already doing that, though they'll probably stick with Nicholls after two scores against Bangladesh (which I didn't catch much of, though I hear they were as ugly as you're likely to see).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
@PEWS
Think Broom's already doing that, though they'll probably stick with Nicholls after two scores against Bangladesh (which I didn't catch much of, though I hear they were as ugly as you're likely to see).
Yeah I have no doublt they'll stick with him Nicholls the short-term due to that, but I still think he'll be on a short leash if he fails and looks terrible. Given Brownlie was in the last Test squad and Broom wasn't (despite being fit for it, apparently), I think the selectors might be more tempted by Brownlie ODI runs than Broom ODI runs for whatever reason.

Zinzan

Agree with this. It took him to almost lose the game to Bangers in one of those ODIs to realize he needed pace of the ball & of course ending up taking the crucial wickets needed for NZ to get back on top in that game.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Placing the onus on Starc (or Haze for that matter) seems strange to me. Perhaps the top six could have manufactured another half a dozen runs, we might be having a very different conversation. **** happens when you leave a modicum of responsibility to the tail. Oh and those extras..
Haze I agree but Starc's shot was absolutely brainless and he should be expected to do better. **** doesn't HAVE to happen. If he scratched out in the channel, ala Handscomb, you could totally forgive him. But he did something so needlessly stupid, not only did he take on Santner with a guy absolutely on fire at the other end, and two wickets in hand, he did it to the long boundary. You don't get a free pass as a tailender anymore, despite what Tim Southee will have you believe.Not only that, it was the last ball of Santner's spell. Just insanely dumb.

And whoever said this shouldn't paper over our death bowling is dead on. It's been absolutely ********* for a long time now. Poor lengths, inability to want to hit a wide yorker with longer square boundaries, no great changes of pace (Southee's off cutter in particular is woeful) and when you watch them have conferences every ball at the death, it's very clear they have no solid or decent plan. Southee and Boult should know a lot better but the bowling coach is also a completely waste of time. Open up the finances David White and get us a decent one to replace Jurgensen.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I look forward to any possible hope of Brownlie playing tests against get completely blown out of the water by how he fares in the ODIs (probably poorly).