• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

Tom Flint

International Regular
Dilshan - better batsman than symonds, better odi bowler than symonds, class in the field and could keep.
I feel he is getting overlooked as he opened the batting therefore getting compared to sachin, gilly ect

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Dude, I love the desert storm knocks as much as anyone here but you are honestly stretching the limits of your credibility if you start calling those attacks "great". I mean, even Warne was only half fit there and the less said about the rest, the better. Kohli faced better attacks during the run fest of 2013 than Sachin did back then.
an attack comprising of GOAT spinner( he was fit enough to be in the eleven) in spinning conditions, another border line ATG one day bowler
Damien Fleming(check his records) - a four man attack comprising of these 2 bowlers is a great bowling attack in my book. You won't always
get Westindian FAB4 to have a great bowling attack,it is virtually impossible.
Even Kasprowicz was a very good one day bowler with 24.98 avg:( better avg: than Warne & Fleming) &.
4.51 econ: .He lacked only longevity to get categorised as an ATG one day bowler . So 3 bowlers with
around 25 avg: & 'around or < 4.5' econ: .What more do you need in an ATG bowling attack?

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Dilshan - better batsman than symonds, better odi bowler than symonds, class in the field and could keep.
I feel he is getting overlooked as he opened the batting therefore getting compared to sachin, gilly ect
Symonds doesn't make it to the ATG XI either, he is a lock in any real world side, but he isn't the sort of player you pick in an ATG side.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This.

Tendulkar averages 48+ with a S/R of 88+ as an opener, the only reason to not pick him is if you deliberately want an inferior team.
Yes, you might or might not pick him in an ATG test XI but for an ODI XI, he is the number one pick.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Symonds doesn't make it to the ATG XI either, he is a lock in any real world side, but he isn't the sort of player you pick in an ATG side.
I wasnt saying dilshan is automatically in atg 1st xi. But half this thread seems to be discussing symonds when in my eyes dilshan is clearly a better odi player and hasnt even entered the conversation

Victor Ian

International Coach
Things I struggle with in these sort of exercises is whether to have someone like AB DeVilliers or Kohli in my ten, who are both absolutely brilliant, or someone like Dean Jones, who bought together heaps of the skills we associate with modern greats in an earlier era. Aggression, smart batting, running between wickets, turning ones into twos and twos into threes, all that stuff.
Too right Dean Jones! What's up with all this modern love with no context?

Since Jones dominated Averages have risen by 10 and strike rates by over 20. In context Jones averages 56 and strikes at near 100. Jones only had Viv for company in his hot streak. You must ask yourself how can there be AB, Kholi, Amlas, Azams, Dhoni and others all averaging over 50. Jones with smaller ropes and modern bats would be a nightmare when you consider he was the best judge of a run and the best ever at turning over the strike.

So many players would eclipse AB and Kholi. Tendulkar would eclipse Kholi if they played at the same time both in their prime. So easily we are lulled into believing modern batsman are better and forget it is mostly due to the game being massively altered to suit batsman. Viv would be averging well over 60 at 120 sr. Jones would be pushing Tendulkar for 2nd best ever. Ab would be pushed out by Ponting. Bevan would be making Dhoni redundant.

That's enough. I'm losing my marbles at all this modern love.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I wasnt saying dilshan is automatically in atg 1st xi. But half this thread seems to be discussing symonds when in my eyes dilshan is clearly a better odi player and hasnt even entered the conversation
Dilshan's batting position is to be blamed, his slot has more competition, I rate him better than Symonds as well but Symonds has more chances of getting into the side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Too right Dean Jones! What's up with all this modern love with no context?

Since Jones dominated Averages have risen by 10 and strike rates by over 20. In context Jones averages 56 and strikes at near 100. Jones only had Viv for company in his hot streak. You must ask yourself how can there be AB, Kholi, Amlas, Azams, Dhoni and others all averaging over 50. Jones with smaller ropes and modern bats would be a nightmare when you consider he was the best judge of a run and the best ever at turning over the strike.

So many players would eclipse AB and Kholi. Tendulkar would eclipse Kholi if they played at the same time both in their prime. So easily we are lulled into believing modern batsman are better and forget it is mostly due to the game being massively altered to suit batsman. Viv would be averging well over 60 at 120 sr. Jones would be pushing Tendulkar for 2nd best ever. Ab would be pushed out by Ponting. Bevan would be making Dhoni redundant.

That's enough. I'm losing my marbles at all this modern love.
Are you sure it's not the non-aussie love? :p

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
I love the bit about Hadlee lacking longevity compared to Ambrose. Never knew 12 years was longer then 17.
I base longevity not on 'years' but on the 'no: of matches. Ambrose played 176 to Hadlee's 115. I admit Hadlee has slightly better econ: & avg:
when compared to Ambrose. But Hadlee started from 1973 onwards when one day cricket was played at snail like pace of test cricket(when the likes of Boycott played).Ambrose started from 88 onwards .So there is almost 2 decade gap betweem them. Hadlee's econ: can be based on
the general econ: of 3-3.5 in 70s & 3.5-4 econ: in the 80s where as Ambrose's can be based on 4-4.5 in the 90s. So to have played much longer
& to have an econ: slightly inferior but in much batting friendly conditions , Ambrose gets my vote.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
Dhoni
Bevan
Flintoff
Wasim
Warne
Murali
McGrath

would belt anyone.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
freddie was a gun odi player but i don't know how you can justify a guy with his world cup record in there.

also factor in that he was only really effective with the bat in the top 5 and he's a weird shout.

unreal death bowler though. one of the best ever.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Are you sure it's not the non-aussie love? :p
Whatever it is, it is lunacy. People ought to be banned from stepping outside of their house with such views. I led off with a mind vomit, but tomorrow, I shall present my case in a more reasoned manner. It's Viv/Tendulkar/Jones then the rest, most likely with Ponting at the head of the rest. This is not Aussie love. This is just truth.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Jones was awesome and I am sure an year or so ago he found a place in my ATG XI. But Victor Ian is clearly viewing through rose tinted glasses. In addition to Richards and Jones, there were Abbas, Chappel and Greenidge who were early pioneers of ODI cricket. They were all very, very good ODI players.