• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think he is, both national and international.

Brutal batsman, handy bowler, and legit the best ground fielder ever (or near enough to).

I dont think he's good enough as a sole 5th bowler at ATG level, but as 6th bowler or sharing the 5th bowling duties he's fine.
Aren't opinions great. I find it tough to decide between Flintoff, Symonds, Kapil or Kluesener as the all-rounder myself, probably leaning towards Flintoff.

Then again I really struggle with the opener to partner Gilchrist at the top, will probably give a slightly different all-time XI depending on the day of the week.

The thing about Symonds is, even if he is to be selected, he will be, at best, a 7th batsman + 6th bowler and I just do not see the value of a guy like that even in the Australian ATG ODI XI, forget international. I can easily think of at least 20 players who are better than Symonds in ODIs if we are talkign internationally. The only reason one would think of him is balance but with blokes like Jayasuriya, Bevan, Dhoni, Flintoff, Pollock all in the mix and given that Richards and Tendulkar are just as good as 6th bowling options as Symonds, esp. in spin, I just do not see why he will be anywhere near that side. He had only a few good years. If that is the criteria, Hussey is a much better shout even within the Aussie greats.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The thing about Symonds is, even if he is to be selected, he will be, at best, a 7th batsman + 6th bowler and I just do not see the value of a guy like that even in the Australian ATG ODI XI, forget international. I can easily think of at least 20 players who are better than Symonds in ODIs if we are talkign internationally. The only reason one would think of him is balance but with blokes like Jayasuriya, Bevan, Dhoni, Flintoff, Pollock all in the mix and given that Richards and Tendulkar are just as good as 6th bowling options as Symonds, esp. in spin, I just do not see why he will be anywhere near that side. He had only a few good years. If that is the criteria, Hussey is a much better shout even within the Aussie greats.
Nah. He can easily be the 6th batsman (averaged 40 at a SR of 92), plus 6th or part of 5th bowler. I think you're underselling his ability a bit by saying Tendulkar was as good a bowler as he was.

FWIW, I think in an ATG team he fits perfectly with a team that either has Dhoni or Gilchrist in the top 6:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Symonds
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wasn''t meaning Symonds complimenting the likes of Flintoff as the all-rounder, I meant the two being in direct competition for the spot. I would probably lean towards Flintoff for that spot because he's better with the ball than Symonds was, even though Symonds > Flintoff with the bat.

While I do see Symonds as a weaker bowling option to Flintoff, Kluesener & Kapil, he was better than Richards or Tendulkar with the ball, sayiong nothing about the fact he'll save you 10-15 runs a match though his fielding alone.

Burgey

HB, no way was Tendulkar as good a bowler in ODIs as Symonds was. Not saying I'd necessarily pick him in an atg side or anything but he was a better bowler than Tendy.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Firstly it is not just that Aus have won 5 ODI World Cups to the RoW 6, but they have also been ranked the number one team for 198 months compared to the RoW 219 months. (WI are 2nd at 99 months)
Stats are always unreliable but that sort of dominance has to have some sort of basis in reality, which would corrrespond to the team selection.
However for me an Australian only ATG team would likely defeat any RoW ATG in an ODI series, as team spirit matters in a team sport.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
See, I am with OS on this. Over ODI history there have been individuals who have transcended some of the best Aussie ODI players in their respective roles, or at least been a little better than them, but as a team over a period of time, Australia has produced more good to great ODI players than any other team in history and that is reflected in their dominance of the format and its world cup. It does not mean I have to be forced to select only Aussies though. Individually, the players I chose have all got good enough cases to be selected ahead of their Aussie competitors.

Shri

Mr. Glass
HB, no way was Tendulkar as good a bowler in ODIs as Symonds was. Not saying I'd necessarily pick him in an atg side or anything but he was a better bowler than Tendy.
More 4fers and 5fers than Symonds. His best was against a strong, stacked Australian batting line up:

1st Match: India v Australia at Kochi, Apr 1, 1998 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Wag.

And his other one was against Pakistan. Decent players of spin:

1st ODI: India v Pakistan at Kochi, Apr 2, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Symonds' only 5fer came against Bangladesh.

Zinzan

More 4fers and 5fers than Symonds. .
Lol what? He played about 12859 ODIs to Symonds 3 didn't he? Of course he'll have more 4-fers in that time. Plus tbf on Symonds, he had much tougher competition for the opposition wickets than Sachin did with McGrath and co.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Aren't opinions great. I find it tough to decide between Flintoff, Symonds, Kapil or Kluesener as the all-rounder myself, probably leaning towards Flintoff.

Then again I really struggle with the opener to partner Gilchrist at the top, will probably give a slightly different all-time XI depending on the day of the week.
Ever heard of a guy named Sachin something?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Who is the best allrounder who fits in as top 10 of all time? From the lists so far, I think we have Pollock, Afridi, Jayasuriya, Watson, Symonds, Flintoff, Kapil, Klusenar.

Personally, I will pick Jayasuriya. Have always feared him when he came out to bat against India. He had a steel bat too.

Zinzan

Who is the best allrounder who fits in as top 10 of all time? From the lists so far, I think we have Pollock, Afridi, Jayasuriya, Watson, Symonds, Flintoff, Kapil, Klusenar.

Personally, I will pick Jayasuriya. Have always feared him when he came out to bat against India. He had a steel bat too.
Because Jayasuriya is an opener, it allows you the freedom to play another allrounder at 6 or 7.

It's a tough call, I think I'd tend to go for Flintoff in the end, very marginally over Symonds & Kapil. And Cairns probably deserves to be mentioned in that larger group above.

Burgey

Some god choices there. I wouldn't pick Symonds ftr, nor Pollock. Don't think he's atg odi material personLly, it it's all subjective after all. Afridi too hot and cold with the bat for mine, but I genuinely find it hard to separate the others.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lol what? He played about 12859 ODIs to Symonds 3 didn't he? Of course he'll have more 4-fers in that time. Plus tbf on Symonds, he had much tougher competition for the opposition wickets than Sachin did with McGrath and co.
Its one thing to compare a bowler who averages 21 to another who averages 28 but at some point, it becomes less important. 37 vs 44 just means they were both ****, just that one had more memorable performances that lead to his team winning.