• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet another Proteas bowler set for Kolpak deal

Wiese gone, and looks like Marchant de Lange is gone as well.... Not to fussed about de Lange felt he was over rated but the player exodus is actually getting ridiculous. Don`t expect it to continue though as it is feeling like the counties are definitely trying to get contracts sorted now before Britain leaves the EU, throwing money around. We shall see.

SeamUp

International Coach
You just can't be looking to lose these players though but it's certainly going to be interesting times ahead (not in a good way) and now Lorgat says there will be limits on Kolpak players allowed to be contracted/played so we should hear more soon.

White franchise players

COBRAS

P.Malan
Levi - Northants
Puttick (retirement age soon)
Van Zyl - Sussex
Vilas (rumours)
Linde
Steyn

(Next gen : Verreynne, Muller, Glover)

WARRIORS

Moore
White
Ackermann - Leicestershire (Dutch passport)
Ingram - Glamorgan
JJ Smuts
Jonker
Harmer - Essex
Abbott - Hampshire
Birch
Nortje

DOLPHINS

Delport - Leicestershire (UK passport)

D. van Wyk
Erwee
van Jaarsveld
M. van Wyk (retirment age soon)
Smit
Frylinck
Savage
Dupavillon

(Next gen : Koen, Bosch)

KNIGHTS

De Bruyn
Rossouw - Hampshire
Miller
Du Plooy
Second
van Biljon (rumours of New Zealand)
Botha
Gous
Coetsee (From player of the year to kicked into touch. Wouldn't surprise me if looked elsewhere as plays in Ireland/England/Holland every winter)
Du Preez (retirment soon)
De Lange - Glamorgan
Olivier
Dry

(Next gen : Whitehead)

LIONS

Van der Dussen
Cook
Van den Bergh
Conway
Mulder
Pretorius
Viljoen - Derbyshire
McGillivray
Jamison

(Next gen : J.Malan, Ackerman, Rickelton, Roelofsen, Lubbe, Dudgeon, Le Roux)

TITANS

Markram
Elgar
Kuhn
De Villiers
Du Plessis
De Kock
Klaasen
Wiese - Sussex
Morris
Thompson
A.Morkel (retirement age soon)
Von Berg (been rumours of leaving for Australia/UK in past)
M.Morkel

(Next gen : Kaber, Claasen, M.Pretorius)

Interesting to know what the SA 'A' side will be now. Especially with a big tour to England for them.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Just looked up Coetsee's stats and he averages exactly the same for batting and bowling in FC cricket (32.23).

That must be a very unique stat.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just looked up Coetsee's stats and he averages exactly the same for batting and bowling in FC cricket (32.23).

That must be a very unique stat.
Yeah the chances have got to be very small with so much data (ie quite a few matches)

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah the chances have got to be very small with so much data (ie quite a few matches)
Yeah, he's played 120 games.

I see he last played for Northern Cape in early November. Do you know what's happening with him SeamUp? His lack of gamer time is surprising, as his stats from the last few games he played looked pretty good.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, he's played 120 games.

I see he last played for Northern Cape in early November. Do you know what's happening with him SeamUp? His lack of gamer time is surprising, as his stats from the last few games he played looked pretty good.
Just can't fit him into the side with 5 spots available. 3 batsman (keeper) and 2 quicks is what the Knights seem to use the positions for.

He has played in England for years in our winter but last winter was playing in Holland with quite a few Saffers so that is probably his future if he carries on playing cricket. But its easy to retire early like Ali Gray, Rusty Theron, CJ de Villiers etc

Marius

International Debutant
Just can't fit him into the side with 5 spots available. 3 batsman (keeper) and 2 quicks is what the Knights seem to use the positions for.

He has played in England for years in our winter but last winter was playing in Holland with quite a few Saffers so that is probably his future if he carries on playing cricket. But its easy to retire early like Ali Gray, Rusty Theron, CJ de Villiers etc
But he's not even playing for the Northern Cape which I think is weird.

He'll probably go into coaching I guess, or become a player-coach somewhere.

SeamUp

International Coach
But he's not even playing for the Northern Cape which I think is weird.

He'll probably go into coaching I guess, or become a player-coach somewhere.
If not injured then odd.

NC had 2 sets of fixtures in December V Border and KZN Inland.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No I don't.

One would presume if one has the basic cricketing facilities, let's say at junior level, it is just as easy to do a two-three day match (standard rehearsal for a first-rate cricketing career) as it is a Twenty20 game. Every poor cricketer, who has achieved fame and wealth through cricket and grew up before 2003, grew up in a pre-T20 environment - yet this was not detrimental to their careers.
They succeeded despite the poverty. I think it's a bit rich (excuse the pun) to assume it didn't adversely affect them just because they made it, not to mention the thousands of others who didn't. There is absolutely no doubt T20 has helped more than harm cricketers.

Of course you're well within your right to hate the IPL and franchise cricket and corruption, not sure why you were being called snobbish for that.

As for the RR thing, not sure how one can call the decision to uproot your entire life and move to somewhere 'weak willed' tbh.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They succeeded despite the poverty. I think it's a bit rich (excuse the pun) to assume it didn't adversely affect them just because they made it, not to mention the thousands of others who didn't. There is absolutely no doubt T20 has helped more than harm cricketers.
I'd never thought I'd live to see the day when someone tries to make an argument that franchise cricket is a vehicle to help starving cricketers!

91Jmay

International Coach
Tymal Mills had to retire from FC cricket because of injury. Can basically only play T20 with a sprinkling of key List A games, so instead of going on the scrapheap/being lost forever we get to see him follow up 93 MPH bouncers with 70 MPH back of the hand slower balls.

How anyone can object to that is beyond me.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd never thought I'd live to see the day when someone tries to make an argument that franchise cricket is a vehicle to help starving cricketers!
Erm, are you disagreeing that it's gone a long way in making cricket a more viable career option? I mean it hasn't just affected cricket, it's inspired all sorts of spinoff leagues with unoriginal names in other sports. It's opened up opportunities for so many people in a country that so desperately needs them.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder when CSA try and add that only 1 Kolpak player can play per team and the restraint of trade argument starts ?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Erm, are you disagreeing that it's gone a long way in making cricket a more viable career option? I mean it hasn't just affected cricket, it's inspired all sorts of spinoff leagues with unoriginal names in other sports. It's opened up opportunities for so many people in a country that so desperately needs them.
Well, if being a starving cricketer is not having a Lamborghini I'd agree! The IPL and the other plastic leagues have certainly helped players there.