• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
He has an IPL contract?

You know what? Judging by that Kim Hughesesque interview, I'm starting to believe that Hampshire have poor Abbot by the short and curlies here. The initial silence when the story first broke spoke volumes. Something is not quite right and I sense Bransgrove's filthy hands all over it.

DriveClub

International Regular
Disliking T20 is 'living in the past'? Alright. I'll take your word for it.
No it means you're in a privileged position to be able to get snobbish about a game. Most people around the world don't have access or the wealth to play basic hard ball cricket unlike in england and Australia and this just makes you utterly insensitive that you enjoying a privilege makes you be a snob about it.

S.Kennedy

No it means you're in a privileged position to be able to get snobbish about a game. Most people around the world don't have access or the wealth to play basic hard ball cricket unlike in england and Australia and this just makes you utterly insensitive that you enjoying a privilege makes you be a snob about it.
I honestly do not know what you are going on about. I see little connection between ''people around the world'' not having ''access or the wealth to play basic hard ball cricket'' and the gross corrupt circus that is the IPL.

Carry on though...

SeamUp

International Coach
I've also thought that if you aren't in the Proteas team as a regular and you have to go back to franchise cricket as a player but you don't feel you in a competitive enough environment for you because CSA didn't give it enough respect by not picking the best teams. Where does that leave players ?

But anyways good old Weber Van Wyk is coining it at the moment as the agent of these players while he is clearing the decks of SA cricket. :laugh:

DriveClub

International Regular
I honestly do not know what you are going on about. I see little connection between ''people around the world'' not having ''access or the wealth to play basic hard ball cricket'' and the gross corrupt circus that is the IPL.

Carry on though...
People with less opportunities wont have the luxury of thinking test cricket is better than t20 or any such high headedness. But you wouldn't get what I'm trying to say.

S.Kennedy

People with less opportunities wont have the luxury of thinking test cricket is better than t20 or any such high headedness. But you wouldn't get what I'm trying to say.
No I don't.

One would presume if one has the basic cricketing facilities, let's say at junior level, it is just as easy to do a two-three day match (standard rehearsal for a first-rate cricketing career) as it is a Twenty20 game. Every poor cricketer, who has achieved fame and wealth through cricket and grew up before 2003, grew up in a pre-T20 environment - yet this was not detrimental to their careers.

DriveClub

International Regular
No I don't.

One would presume if one has the basic cricketing facilities, let's say at junior level, it is just as easy to do a two-three day match (standard rehearsal for a first-rate cricketing career) as it is a Twenty20 game. Every poor cricketer, who has achieved fame and wealth through cricket and grew up before 2003, grew up in a pre-T20 environment - yet this was not detrimental to their careers.
Sorry but we don't live in a pre 2003 cricketing world, what do you want to do? Time travel?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who is talking about forcing him? Bizarre strawman you created.

I am calling him weak willed for leaving, not saying he can't. Criticism of someone isn't the same as inhibiting them for doing something.

He hasn't been offered a better job, he has been offered the chance to play for ****ing Hampshire.
Read between the lines. Calling him "weak-willed" for leaving is simply ignorant and asinine

Have some respect.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
It doesn't come from a small dearth of schools. It is actually quite a number of schools.

Then there are these guys who are playing Proteas cricket, SA 'A' cricket, franchise cricket that didn't go to the cricketing schools and it didn't stop them.

Dale Steyn/Eldred Hawken (Merensky), Dean Elgar (St Dominics) , Stiaan Van Zyl (Boland Landbou), Vernon Philander (Ravensmead), George Linde/Beuran Hendricks (Belville), Dane Paterason (Brackenfell), JP Duminy/Rory Kleinveldt (Plumstead), Christiaan Jonker (Bergsig), Anrich Nortje (Brandwag), Yaseen Vallie (Cravenby), Clyde Fortuin (St Josephs), Basheer Walters (Nasruddin), Lesiba Ngoepe (Hans Moore), Tladi Bokako (Motherwell), Lizaad Williams (Hugenote), Rabian Engelbrecht/Keegan Petersen (New Orleans), Marchant De Lange (Ben Vorster), Dillon Du Preez/Tshepo Ntuli (Louis Botha) Luthando Mnyanda (Sea Point) , Nicky Van den Bergh/Wihann Lubbe (Potch Gym) , Dwaine Pretorius (Rustenburg), Magaliso Mosehle (Dr Johan Jurgens), Eddie Leie (Potch Boys), Sean Jamison (Veritas) , David Wiese (Witbank), Albie/Morne Morkel (Vereeniging), Henry Davids (Stellenbosch), Qaasim Adams (Tafelberg), Farhaan Behardien (Westerford), Rowan Richards (John Bisseker), Junior Dala (Springs)

Many other examples.

None of those are the elite cricket schools. They are below and quite a few of them 'white minority' now.

Boland : Paarl Boys, Paul Roos, Paarl Gym
WP : Rondebosch, Wynberg, SACS, Bishops
EP : Grey , St Andrews, Woodridge , Graeme, Kingswood
Border : Queens, Selborne, Dale, Hudson Park
KZN C : DHS, Westville, Glenwood, Kearsney, Northwood , Clifton
KZN I : Maritzburg, Hilton, Michaelhouse, St Charles
FS : Grey, St Andrews
NC : Noordkaap
GAU : KES, St Stithians, St Johns, St Davids, Jeppe , Parktown
NOR : Affies, Waterkloof, Pretoria Boys, St Albans, Centurion, Men
Even with the wider spread these days there is a historical bias towards the 'elite' private schools. Overall, the ~150 international players since readmission have come from 70 schools but something like ~90 players have come from 23 'elite' private schools.

It's an interesting topic overall - I might have to do a bit more research when I have the time.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Reason they fall off is that they just not as good when it coems to the crunch for selection higher up and that comes from the base of development cricket. But in saying that, the majority of the cricketing world would love for all their people to be open to cricket but the truth is they are not but CSA are finally waking up and realising the only way they can increase development and create better skills is academies from a young age in the more disadvantaged areas.
Yeah that may be true but at the same time it seems like a very convenient excuse for why black cricketers are underrepresented. In my opinion, when players are in there mid to late teens you're still looking for raw talent - I wouldn't have thought that the quality of coaching would have such an significant affect of their ability.

That said, I'm not an expert here. I haven't watched enough (any tbh) school or provincial cricket to confirm or refute the idea that black cricketers generally perform worse in comparison to their white team mates/opponents.

Stefan9

International Debutant
So has Kyle Abbott basically ended his tenure with the Kings XI Punjab over this? The IPL and county cricket seasons overlap and I can't imagine Hampshire will let him go for the early part of the season.
I believe ab£ott was released along with behardien and mitch johnson. Presume ab£ott and ros£ouw won't go into the auction as it would clash with their county deals.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
It's a shame really. I think if Abbott had hit this kind of run in the SA back when he signed the kolpak deal, he might have though otherwise. I guess he just thought he chance had gone and didn't fancy carrying the drinks for the rest of his career.

TheJediBrah

I believe ab£ott was released along with behardien and mitch johnson. Presume ab£ott and ros£ouw won't go into the auction as it would clash with their county deals.
He was released, this is true, however Abbott's county deal has various clauses and such in it that allow him to play IPL/franchise T20 if and when he gets a chance to play in them

S.Kennedy

Sorry but we don't live in a pre 2003 cricketing world, what do you want to do? Time travel?
From my perspective the only thing I want to do is pick up the remote control and turn franchise cricket off.

You do realise you are making a **** sandwich out of relatively nothing? I do not like franchise cricket - particular the IPL, It is an easy enough thing to accept that belief and move on.

With so much different cricket on, different formats, leagues, competitions, it actually would be more surprising to like it all!!

TheJediBrah

Yes, really. You obviously get paid for it like you would as a franchise mercenary, but it's a lot more than just 'another day at work'.
Yes I'm sure you know much better than these professional cricketers you actually represent their country

Of course it's not meaningless, but neither is it the be-all and end-all