• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

SeamUp

International Coach
Also I would imagine English speaking mother's married Afrikaans fathers and vice-versa.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If not for injuries Ngam would have had a long Test career, and Monde Zondeki certainly wasn't terrible.

Tsotsobe also wasn't the worst and could have been much better but for his weight and disciplinary issues. Was also lots of potential in Tsolekile I think.
Ngam would have been world class, pity. Zondeki never came up to scratch. Tsotsobe was always a LO bowler only. Tsolekile was a great gloveman but not good enough with the bat, would have liked him to have done well.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
If not for injuries Ngam would have had a long Test career, and Monde Zondeki certainly wasn't terrible.

Tsotsobe also wasn't the worst and could have been much better but for his weight and disciplinary issues. Was also lots of potential in Tsolekile I think.
Problem is those players are few and far in-between. Friedel de wet and Brett Schultz also had significant potential.

Hopefully we won't overplayed Ramada and cripple his career too.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
All the coloured players that have being picked for SA have averaged 40+; at FC level yes none of the current crop average 40+, but they have not been picked either.... 'black' players right now are being treated different, both Bavuma and Phehlukwayo are being picked on potential, rather than having truly proven themselves at FC level. All I commented on is that generally 'çoloured' have not been an issue... 'black' players have.
It is a problem especially if CSA have a policy of 2 "black" players for the proteas.

Bavuma still averaged about 40, he is a significant step up from the rest of the ones with Mosehle (sp?) In second place. Problem isn't the current crop, but who is next.

Marius

International Debutant
It is a problem especially if CSA have a policy of 2 "black" players for the proteas.

Bavuma still averaged about 40, he is a significant step up from the rest of the ones with Mosehle (sp?) In second place. Problem isn't the current crop, but who is next.
But who out of the black guys playing now could survive in Test cricket?

Phehlukwayo maybe, Mosehle's keeping perhaps, but not his batting.

Zondo's been in good form, but he's not Test quality.

Ngidi from the Titans will be knocking on the door next season I reckon.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
But who out of the black guys playing now could survive in Test cricket?

Phehlukwayo maybe, Mosehle's keeping perhaps, but not his batting.

Zondo's been in good form, but he's not Test quality.

Ngidi from the Titans will be knocking on the door next season I reckon.
Well if bavuma doesn't start going to 40+ he will start getting some pressure, there doesn't not seem to be anyone who can replace him or Duminy in the near future, any non white player.

Bowling there are more prospects, batting is the problem.

Heboric

International Debutant
And Dane Piedt.

But the Piedt example shows this isn't necessarily anything to do with transformation. It's guys trying to secure their futures, instead of being on the fringes of the national side. According to the Cricinfo article on Abbott, he could get 100 000 pounds a season playing for Hampshire, that's about R1.6-million - that's a tidy sum.

Not sure what he gets being contracted to CSA but can't be more than that.
During the last pink day ODI, in an interview Chris Morris said he would donate his match fee of 50K. Thats quite a bit of money. So international players surely earn a decent amount

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For someone like Abbott, who turns 30 this year, has only played 10 Tests in his career, who's currently in the side as an injury replacement for Steyn and who isn't much of a white ball bowler, a 3 year county deal is retirement money.

He's at the stage of his career where he needs to be maximising his income because he won't have much longer left at the top level. A 3 year deal at Hampshire potentially gives him that security. Continuing to be a fringe Proteas player, with all the risks that entails - he could just be in the honeymoon phase of his career and turn out to be not that good, he could get a serious injury, or he could fall victim to the politics sorrounding the Proteas (regardless of form, Rabada or Philander won't be making way for Steyn when he returns.)

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
During the last pink day ODI, in an interview Chris Morris said he would donate his match fee of 50K. Thats quite a bit of money. So international players surely earn a decent amount
That's a out 32 games a year... before tax.

Meanwhile Abott can still fill his coffers at T20 tournaments.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
For someone like Abbott, who turns 30 this year, has only played 10 Tests in his career, who's currently in the side as an injury replacement for Steyn and who isn't much of a white ball bowler, a 3 year county deal is retirement money.

He's at the stage of his career where he needs to be maximising his income because he won't have much longer left at the top level. A 3 year deal at Hampshire potentially gives him that security. Continuing to be a fringe Proteas player, with all the risks that entails - he could just be in the honeymoon phase of his career and turn out to be not that good, he could get a serious injury, or he could fall victim to the politics sorrounding the Proteas (regardless of form, Rabada or Philander won't be making way for Steyn when he returns.)
Abott will (should) be one of the prime bowlers in the odi attack with morkel, Rabada and Tahir.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1950s

Clive van Ryneveld.
Not sure all those guys listed are Afrikaans. Think Pieter was English despite his name (Vince, his son definitely was). I just read Clive van Ryneveld's autobiography and although he has Dutch ancestry he's not Afrikaans. Jackie du Preez's first names are John Harcourt, which could mean nothing (see Allan Anthoiny Donald) but don't sound particularly Afrikaans.

Pieter Strydom is probably another example of an English guy with an Afrikaans name.
Not that it necessarily means anything, but "Clive" is possibly the most English name going.

Van Reynveld was English enough to play union for us anyway. Although, again, so did Mauritz Botha and Hendrie Fourie, so that mightn't mean much either.

Marius

International Debutant
Not that it necessarily means anything, but "Clive" is possibly the most English name going.

Van Reynveld was English enough to play union for us anyway. Although, again, so did Mauritz Botha and Hendrie Fourie, so that mightn't mean much either.
Van Ryneveld played rugby for you guys while he was at Oxford, after the war. Lots of 'colonials' played rugby for England through this route in the old days I think.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Help me out here guys, but I thought the real tempter with these Kolpak deals was the fact that you get that tidy sum from England while still getting to keep your franchise contract in South Africa as well as being available for, at the very least, the IPL and CPL. Purely from an individual standpoint, that is the best way a cricketer can maximize his earnings if his spot in the national XI is not really secure, right?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The Abbot-Hampshire thing will be a shocker if true as he seems established in the test team. Despite the annoying quotas and money thing, do South Africans not have any pride in the shirt now?

And Hampshire must be bloody loaded. Went off them when their chairman, Bransgrove or somebody?, clamoured for Durham's relegation.

brockley

International Captain
Levi plays T20 for Cobras but because of quotas he is not picked in the first class xl for them.So on paper it sounds nice,but doesn't always work out that way.He did play for the Masters Championship as a retired player,which looks like its gone belly up.Read somewhere he wants to play for England, he plays in all 3 forms.
Abbott got dropped by his IPL club so thats 1 source of income he has lost.
In reality kolpak players,it depends on their club and what selection policy they have to whether they get a game or not.
Hope that helps Honest Bharani.

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Abbot-Hampshire thing will be a shocker if true as he seems established in the test team. Despite the annoying quotas and money thing, do South Africans not have any pride in the shirt now?
Can't feed your family with pride. Much less likely to be robbed, raped and/or murdered in England, as well.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Can't feed your family with pride. Much less likely to be robbed, raped and/or murdered in England, as well.
All you need to do is play a few Bashy Bashy competitions. Pays more than County Cricket anyway and it will probably not impede your ability to turn out for your country since there is enough of them around.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant

And Hampshire must be bloody loaded. Went off them when their chairman, Bransgrove or somebody?, clamoured for Durham's relegation.
I think Abott made the decision months ago when he was getting very little game time so it would have been an easy choice.

Since he has been getting more chances I assume he was having doubts. So I assume that is why Hampshire leaked this info to the media to put pressure on him.