• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

SeamUp

International Coach
Just following up on that Abbott news in the next day or two

Cricket South Africa said on Tuesday it wants to hold talks with the agent of Kyle Abbott to discuss a report that the test fast bowler is on the verge of signing a contract to play county cricket in England.

Hampshire expect to secure the services of Abbott on a long-term deal which would preclude him from playing for South Africa, according to a report on the ESPN Cricinfo website.

"We will discuss it with his agent," a Cricket South Africa spokesman said.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
At this stage CSA have been clear it will be Roussouw and de Bruyn. Whether politics will force a change in the future... who knows. .
It is honestly hard to imagine both of them left out for white players, especially when AB comes back. And markram is also there being prepared to be next in line after Elgar and Cook.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is that really all we have?
Right now I would say only Rossouw/De Bruyn are ready and in-form for test cricket outside our current lot who are available at this point.

I would say van Zyl/Ackermann would be guys considered if all things equal so Ramela/Zondo/R.Hendricks would probably be next through time served and having had a good season followed by a bad season etc

I suppose Dave Miller has said he wants test cricket and was putting up good numbers in the first half of the 4-day comp and can carry on doing so now.

The next batch are all development stage at franchise level. Guys like Jason Smith, Zubayr Hamza, Edward Moore, David White, Gihahn Cloete, Leus Du Plooy, Wiaan Mulder, Aiden Markram etc

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Right now I would say only Rossouw/De Bruyn are ready and in-form for test cricket outside our current lot who are available at this point.

I would say van Zyl/Ackermann would be guys considered if all things equal so Ramela/Zondo/R.Hendricks would probably be next through time served and having had a good season followed by a bad season etc

I suppose Dave Miller has said he wants test cricket and was putting up good numbers in the first half of the 4-day comp and can carry on doing so now.

The next batch are all development stage at franchise level. Guys like Jason Smith, Zubayr Hamza, Edward Moore, David White, Gihahn Cloete, Leus Du Plooy, Wiaan Mulder, Aiden Markram etc
I was specifically talking about quotas. Is Hamza playing for the Cobras or WP?

SeamUp

International Coach
I was specifically talking about quotas. Is Hamza playing for the Cobras or WP?
He dominated for WP and big time so got his chance for Cobras at beginning of season and didn't grab his chance but will probably be back at some point.

From non-white players perspective it will be Ramela, Hendricks, Zondo. Don't forget Mosehle with the gloves. Could make Quinnie a pure bat which to me would take away the all-rounder effect.

Also Behardien and Qaasim Adams.

Hamza, Smith, Cloete are also non-white but haven't nailed down franchise positions so would have to be from 6 above.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What, you didn't throw a ball against a wall and then hit it on the rebound like I did? Missing out.

LOL this was my entire childhood
I used to put some wicked spin on it so it would hit the wall and spin the other way after bouncing back. Nightmarishly difficult to play.

If Bradman had done that instead of hitting a ball with a ****ing stump, the spud would have been able to play a googly properly.

SeamUp

International Coach
What, you didn't throw a ball against a wall and then hit it on the rebound like I did? Missing out.

:laugh:

Oh yeah did that plenty on those days I had no one to play cricket with.

Even used my left arm to throw balls backwards to me and practiced hitting half volleys.

So much fun. Those were the days. :happy:

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
He dominated for WP and big time so got his chance for Cobras at beginning of season and didn't grab his chance but will probably be back at some point.

From non-white players perspective it will be Ramela, Hendricks, Zondo. Don't forget Mosehle with the gloves. Could make Quinnie a pure bat which to me would take away the all-rounder effect.

Hamza, Smith, Cloete are also non-white but haven't nailed down franchise positions so would have to be from 6 above.
It's pretty depressing. They all average around 30. Behardien and Adam's are at around 40 but already in their early thirties. Don't see them ever coming into the test team.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

There are good players of colour coming through overall... not had a huge problem with that, problem with the quotas is the 2 'black' players required not enough quality really at this stage,, this is also the FC problem really.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
There are good players of colour coming through overall... not had a huge problem with that, problem with the quotas is the 2 'black' players required not enough quality really at this stage,, this is also the FC problem really.
Problem is that of they get into the test team they will be expected to average at least 40... how can you expect that when they average 30 at FC level?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Can he defect to India? Surely Vidarbha or Jharkhand or some other Ranji team can make him a reasonable offer he'd be willing to consider. :ph34r: Who could turn down the Nagpur nightlife.
We can even call it the "Abbott Method". Who needs to go the Kolpak route when you go the Abbott route... :p

StephenZA

Problem is that of they get into the test team they will be expected to average at least 40... how can you expect that when they average 30 at FC level?
I`m talking historically not necessarily the current crop.... other than Ntini there has little to no black players, 'çoloured' we have had many quality players.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I`m talking historically not necessarily the current crop.... other than Ntini there has little to no black players, 'çoloured' we have had many quality players.
I Know, But Averaging Anything Less Than 40 is not good enough regardless of race. Elgar is having a tough time staying in the team at 36... but at least he got into the team averaging in the mid 40s.

Are there any çoloured players averaging in the mid 40s?

Marius

International Debutant
True to a certain extent but there were quite a few 'Afrikaans families' who sent their sons to 'English schools' and then played for the Proteas.It still happens today if you look at someone like Wiaan Mulder for example.

But in the 60s our captain was Peter Van der Merwe who went to St Andrews Garahmstown

Many other examples like.

1890s

Nicolaas Theunissen
Jacobus 'Flooi' Du Toit
Charles Fichardt
Frederick Kuys

1900's

JJ Kotze
Billy Zulch

1910s

Fred Le Roux

1920s

Izak Buys
Waldemar Marx
Doug Meintjes
JP Duminy
Denijs Morkel
Edward van der Merwe

1930s

Ken Viljoen
Pieter van der Bijl

1940s

Jack Nel

1950s

Clive van Ryneveld
Peter Heine
Christopher Burger

1960s

Peter van der Merwe
Jackie Du Preez (Rhodesian)

* Probably quite a few I missed above too.

Then came the start of more regular involvement of Afrikaans schools but still quite a few like Peter de Vaal, Roy Pienaar, Adrian Kuiper , Garth Le Roux, Vince van der Bijl, Tertius Bosch whose home languages were English but had Afrikaans routes with those surnames through the 70's, 80's and into 90s

Guys like Kepler Wessels, Hansie Cronje, Allan Donald, Corrie van Zyl, Nicky Boje were all from Bloem and went to Afrikaans first language schools and the rest is history as there have been plenty since.

The history is always interesting.
Not sure all those guys listed are Afrikaans. Think Pieter was English despite his name (Vince, his son definitely was). I just read Clive van Ryneveld's autobiography and although he has Dutch ancestry he's not Afrikaans. Jackie du Preez's first names are John Harcourt, which could mean nothing (see Allan Anthoiny Donald) but don't sound particularly Afrikaans.

Pieter Strydom is probably another example of an English guy with an Afrikaans name.

Marius

International Debutant
If not for injuries Ngam would have had a long Test career, and Monde Zondeki certainly wasn't terrible.

Tsotsobe also wasn't the worst and could have been much better but for his weight and disciplinary issues. Was also lots of potential in Tsolekile I think.

StephenZA

I Know, But Averaging Anything Less Than 40 is not good enough regardless of race. Elgar is having a tough time staying in the team at 36... but at least he got into the team averaging in the mid 40s.

Are there any çoloured players averaging in the mid 40s?
All the coloured players that have being picked for SA have averaged 40+; at FC level yes none of the current crop average 40+, but they have not been picked either.... 'black' players right now are being treated different, both Bavuma and Phehlukwayo are being picked on potential, rather than having truly proven themselves at FC level. All I commented on is that generally 'çoloured' have not been an issue... 'black' players have.