• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can that be.. Aus series will go on upto March end I'd think.

Oops.. I should have said this year

OverratedSanity

India and Aus play 4 tests each in SA in 2018

SA play SL, Eng, NZ and Bangladesh this year (2017).
I was making an "actuaaalllly next year is 2018" joke.

4 tests in SA sounds awesome though. First time ever I think. Most we've ever played there is 3.

Bijed

International Regular
The WI test series is after the SA one, which starts in July. We've got loads of one-day stuff first.

vcs

Yeah I just saw it... it's a long, long summer for England! 4 Tests against SA and then 3 against WI followed by the LOI stuff. No Test matches in May-early June when the ball swings around like crazy.

SeamUp

International Coach
I see SA play the ODI series and the Champions Trophy is right after that in England. Then only is the test series. Going to be there for some time. No Headlingley test match this time where SA have won the last two to memory. Basically Headingley and Edgbaston replaced by Trent Bridge and Old Trafford.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
eh, the west indies test series will be welcome relief after the south african series.

they'll show up half arsed as per usual and allow england to rotate.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is a bit strange, the West Indies playing England second. Usually you play the 'weaker' opposition first as a sort of dress rehearsal to the main event, e.g. Sri Lanka last year before Pakistan, NZ before Oz the year before. I do not believe that has happened since 1998 when Sri Lanka followed SA, although some of the teams were near par, back when the Windies were merely declining but not diabolical and Pakistan were yo-yoing out of form.

morgieb

It is a bit strange, the West Indies playing England second. Usually you play the 'weaker' opposition first as a sort of dress rehearsal to the main event, e.g. Sri Lanka last year before Pakistan, NZ before Oz the year before. I do not believe that has happened since 1998 when Sri Lanka followed SA, although some of the teams were near par, back when the Windies were merely declining but not diabolical and Pakistan were yo-yoing out of form.
What's more interesting is that there's still a 4/3 split between South Africa and Sri Lanka. Since England dumped the "play 5/6 Tests against strong opposition and give new sides the scraps" policy it's rare for the first side to play more than the second side.

morgieb

Our schedule looks bizarre. I'm not sure we play any Tests at all between the India series and the Ashes. And for that matter, I'm not sure we have any winter ODI series either (we probably will, though).

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
What's more interesting is that there's still a 4/3 split between South Africa and Sri Lanka. Since England dumped the "play 5/6 Tests against strong opposition and give new sides the scraps" policy it's rare for the first side to play more than the second side.
England are not the only team to do this. Didn't the Indians only give the Kiwis three tests to England's five?

Do you think twenty people sitting in Chester-le-Street in freezing May watching the Sril Lankans put to the sword is going to compete with, in terms of general interest, gate receipts and television revenues, an Ashes, Proteas or even Indian and Pakistani clash? You are realistically only going to have seven tests in an English summer, so unfortunately something has to give and that is the minnows.

Switch Sri Lanka for Kiwis, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or West Indies. It is not fair or democratic but it is understandable.

Unless you admit the death of the five test cricket series (which I'd personally hate). Three Test Ashes' series preceded by three tests versus Zimbabwe!! I thought the Pakistanis should have had a fifth test this year. I'd have happily sacrificed the entire Sri Lankan debacle for a fifth test decider in that excellent series.

I suppose you could chop off all the one day bilateral rubbish at the end of tests (which personally I'd welcome). That might give you one more test against a (now) thoroughly exhausted England team. I do not think that is an ideal solution.

Zinzan

It's weird alright, do sides really get higher ratings (TV revenue) playing the Windies these days? NZ got only 2 tests the last couple of visits to England and the last 1-1 in particular, you couldn't split the sides... yet the disbolical Windies not only get 3, part get the later tour of the summer, as you say normally reserved for the main tour of the year.

This saying nothing about the Windies getting the boxing day test over NZ in 2015. Unless they're scheduling these things literally 5 years or more in advance, I just don't get it.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's weird alright, do sides really get higher ratings (TV revenue) playing the Windies these days? NZ got only 2 tests the last couple of visits to England and the last 1-1 in particular, you couldn't split the sides... yet the disbolical Windies not only get 3, part get the later tour of the summer, as you say normally reserved for the main tour of the year.

This saying nothing about the Windies getting the boxing day test over NZ in 2015. Unless they're scheduling these things literally 5 years or more in advance, I just don't get it.
Wait wasn't that because NZ wanted to play their own Boxing Day fixtures at home? That's certainly the case for SA.