• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Good effort by India to send down 94 overs, given the time lost with Reiffell's injury.

Does anyone have any idea which side'll be happier with this scorecard?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good effort by India to send down 94 overs, given the time lost with Reiffell's injury.

England by a country mile, ball is spitting at times. Still 2 batsmen out there, and Woakes and Rashid to come.

Of course we're capable of ****ing it up, and a lot of the dismissals were gimmees natch, but this is our day comfortably for me.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England 60-40 ahead as of now. Ashwin did well to pull them back in the last session. Anything less than 350 should be good.

Daemon

Sort of even isn't? Best way to answer that would be to put yourself in Cook's and Kohli's shoes. If given a chance to redo the innings I daresay the former probably wouldn't do it while Kohli definitely would.

Shri

Mr. Glass
It was not a hard throw. And I am sure they are just being extra cautious, which is completely fair and the right thing to do.

Burgey

Does that mean he's all right? Haven't been watching or following closely so not aware.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
England by a country mile, ball is spitting at times. Still 2 batsmen out there, and Woakes and Rashid to come.

Of course we're capable of ****ing it up, and a lot of the dismissals were gimmees natch, but this is our day comfortably for me.
This morning I'd have said England needed 500, after the way the ball has behaved during the second and third sessions I'd say 350 would be about par for a first innings score, although as the side batting first you'd have wanted 400. My guess is this pitch will get progressively worse each day. If England are still batting at lunch I'd think they'd be favorites. If we had Ashwin and were still batting at lunch I'd say the fat lady had just about finished her song.

Zinzan

England 60-40 ahead as of now. Ashwin did well to pull them back in the last session. Anything less than 350 should be good.
50/50 for mine, only because I can still easily see England getting rolled for 330ish & India posting 400+, & really pressuring England's line-up in the 3rd innings. Rashid's been bowling well & pitch looks to be turning, but he's no Ashwin.

grecian

This morning I'd have said England needed 500, after the way the ball has behaved during the second and third sessions I'd say 350 would be about par for a first innings score, although as the side batting first you'd have wanted 400. My guess is this pitch will get progressively worse each day. If England are still batting at lunch I'd think they'd be favorites. If we had Ashwin and were still batting at lunch I'd say the fat lady had just about finished her song.
Yeah, I think my bullish comments need qualifying in that India are still favourites, simply because they are much better in India than us. So if you're saying who would look the best ATM, it still maybe India, but I think this has been a good day for us, particularly with the ball really starting to do things in that last session. Winning the toss could be very important, if those two sessions are going to be atypical in the match.

Will England Manage to get it to do similar? Who knows, let's see if they get it on the strip first.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think you guys are overstating the difficulty of batting on this track. There is turn but there was turn even at Rajkot. As I kept saying then, it is when there is pace and bounce of the wicket allied to that turn that things get difficult. And while it is tougher to bat on than any of the other Day 1 tracks we have seen this series, it is also obvious how much easier batting seems to be once the batsman is in. I know 350 sounds like par, but it sounded par even in 2012 when India got there and then lost their way totally. There is good pace and bounce off the wicket which would help batsmen who like to hit on the up and feel bat on ball. So while England can do well in the game even if they get 350 odd, if I was the captain of the side batting first, I would definitely say 400 is par for these conditions.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I can see Cook setting defensive fields and getting a good grip on the game through his fast bowlers and letting the spinners attack. If Kohli goes cheaply, we will be up **** creek real fast. But, for our sanity's sake, Ashwin became the best spinner as far as the wickets column is concerned today. Awesome bowling.

Shri

Mr. Glass
For sure, The only other Indian who's even close to averaging <25 in history is his mate Jadeja.

It's weird they're both head & shoulders above any other Indian bowlers in history when it comes to bowling averages.
Most of them don't know when to hang the boots up, I think. They prolong their careers because we rarely find replacements in time.

Scaly piscine

Bloody hell, England actually picking two people on merit. The apocalypse is near.

Oh and Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrham FTW.