• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We can only hope that their quicks are relatively ineffective on this pitch and they regret not playing the extra spinner.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Lyth make one against NZ? Or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, or maybe I'm thinking of Robson the previous time NZ toured England.
Good call........you're quite right and I'd totally forgotten about that one.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
We can only hope that their quicks are relatively ineffective on this pitch and they regret not playing the extra spinner.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. But England's seamers are better compared to ours with Shammi out due to injury.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine a Murali-type bowler on this pitch.. he'd have to land it outside the strip probably.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think we've seen enough evidence that England don't have a 3rd spinner who wouldn't be a complete waste of space. I'm happy enough to see Ball given the gig.

What's our take on the pitch? Cricinfo are getting very excited about it deteriorating already, but they may be making it up.

EDIT
The previous 3 posts may have answered that one.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we've seen enough evidence that England don't have a 3rd spinner who wouldn't be a complete waste of space. I'm happy enough to see Ball given the gig.

What's our take on the pitch? Cricinfo are getting very excited about it deteriorating already, but they may be making it up.
But this pitch is actually spinning, makes the equation totally different.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
But this pitch is actually spinning, makes the equation totally different.
Maybe, and I'd probably be sensible to wait unti we know how Ball goes here, but I'm happier with him seaming and cutting it around than Batty or Ansari turning their arms.
Obviously if Ball turns out to be ineffective, then so be it.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Earlier in the day, did anyone else catch Kohli still shaking his head at Parthiv for a catch he dropped in the previous over?:laugh:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe, and I'd probably be sensible to wait unti we know how Ball goes here, but I'm happier with him seaming and cutting it around than Batty or Ansari turning their arms.
Obviously if Ball turns out to be ineffective, then so be it.
But if this discussion is about Ball being such a good pacer that England want him in their side they could have picked him instead of Woakes and gotten in the 3rd spinner.

Shri

Mr. Glass
And btw, I have made some appalling calls and predictions today. Actually wait, that's par for course.

Groundking

International Debutant
But if this discussion is about Ball being such a good pacer that England want him in their side they could have picked him instead of Woakes and gotten in the 3rd spinner.
But our options for the 3rd spinner are all dreadful, at the very least I think you can expect Ball to be more economical than any of the 3rd spinners.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
But our options for the 3rd spinner are all dreadful, at the very least I think you can expect Ball to be more economical than any of the 3rd spinners.
Nah a bowler like Ansari would have been annoying to face on this surface, especially considering he puts a bit more of his body into his bowling. Again if you want Ball you just pick him instead of Woakes.