• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Except for isolated deliveries his been about that pace all series, although he bowled very well at Perth and second innings at Hobart.
I reckon it's his action rather than being told where to bowl. He relies on his shoulder a lot and doesn't use his front arm as much. So if he goes a little off rhythm he'll struggle for pace.
He is a rhythm bowler... but I do feel he has been trying to maintain control. The Perth spell, and the way he bowled against England where he just let loose I think he would be better. 4 over going all out spells is what I want.

Starfighter

He is a rhythm bowler... but I do feel he has been trying to maintain control. The Perth spell, and the way he bowled against England where he just let loose I think he would be better. 4 over going all out spells is what I want.
He could get smacked in the right conditions though. In any case I don't think him playing all these matches at a young age will help. He'll probably be able to maintain his pace better in a few years time, provided he doesn't get a major injury.

StephenZA

He could get smacked in the right conditions though. In any case I don't think him playing all these matches at a young age will help. He'll probably be able to maintain his pace better in a few years time, provided he doesn't get a major injury.
I'm not worried if he gets smacked occasionally... he is an x-factor bowler that can take wickets when we need them. There is a concern SA will over bowl him, for many reasons, and there was a discussion during the Eng series with Michael Holding, during commentary, on how he should be used. Hopefully he gets wiser as he gets older... But I still think he is bowling within himself atm and I would prefer to just let him off the leash.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
Shamsi not really ready for tests, has lot to learn about bowling in tests. Maharaj would have done a better job here i feel

Starfighter

He's dropped too many short for my liking.
I think we're approaching the same critique from a different angle.
In the warm up match where he got belted I noticed the number of short balls (and was hoping Smith could do the same thing. Sigh...)
I reckon he's bowling an ODI sort of length, and has been lucky to get away with quite a few long hops. Simply hasn't drawn the batsmen forward enough, which you need to do with Khawaja.

StephenZA

Should have played Morne Morkel imo - the bowlers have had a lot of work, bowling Australia out repeatedly.
Morkel has been struggling in the warm-up matches and does not seem match fit.... hindsight, Maharaj should have played.

Starfighter

The pink ball clashes horribly with the outfield. And the pitch. And the players.
Especially in this light. It looks like it's glowing.